Toshiba RD-XS32 Scart Control?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KevB_UK, Nov 24, 2004.

1. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I got one of these great machines yesterday and I've managed to record to the HD and DVD, but I'm having a problem with the scart control. When I was using my Sky box before I had it connected via scart directly to the TV and I left the TV (Tosh 42" RPTV) in 4:3 mode.

With this setup if any widescreen material was transmitted on Sky the box would change the TV over to full mode for me. Now I have my RD-XS32 sitting between the TV and the Sky box this no longer happens and I'm stuck with 4:3 mode unless I manually change it.

I have an RGB picture so I guess my connections and cables are ok. Should it be doing this?

2. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should work OK as the signals are passed-thro. The only time mine doesn't switch is if I manually start a recording in 4:3 then watch a programme that is in Widescreen it sometimes doesn't switch.

Does it switch when you press SAT mon???

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It should switch over ok as long as you're in standby mode not switched on, at least that's how my Panny works.

4. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My Panasonic TV does not seem to handle the auto-switching as well through the XS32 as it did when it was Sky+ connected direct. It is definitely better when using SATMON, but it usually picks up the signal within 10-30 seconds when watching the direct signal from the XS32. I have my TV set to "AUTO". If the Tosh TV has an "AUTO" setting it may be worth trying that?

5. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, it does seem to work fine using Sat Mon. Before I was just putting it on AV2 and watching Sky through that, seems strange to me but never mind!

6. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I see what you where doing.

Sky to Tosh from AV1
    Sky to TV from AV2

I think some Sky boxes don't transmit the Wide signal or don't do it properly on the AV2 output, as that is for the Video - even though some videos can also use it.

My Pace Sky box didn't send the signal but the Pansonic sends it on both outputs.

7. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Digibox connected to the XS32 via the TV scart out on Digibox to the AV2 Scart in on the XS32. Then AV1 out from XS32 to my TV. There is no direct connection between the TV and Digibox anymore. I believe you can only use the TV out scart from the Digibox as thats the only one which outputs RGB?

What I meant by "putting it on AV2" was selecting this input using the channel up/down buttons on the XS32. Doing this gives picture and sound but doesn't seem to use widescreen switching on my setup, however after hitting sat moni it does. The manual doesn't really say what the sat moni feature is for, so its a bit confusing...

8. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    As I understand it, the sat-mon button bypasses most of the internal electronics to directly connect the AV2 input to AV1 output. This includes the WSS pin.