1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS32 - Resampling a title to DVD-R w/o loosing chapters

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Roto, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Roto

Roto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,
    I got my Tosh 3 days ago and I have a problem:
    I record to the HDD from the tuner at high bitrate. I edit the title to remove head, tail and ads. I set chapter points.
    Well, all is ready on the HDD and I now want to fit the entire title to a Video DVD-R.
    If I go to DVD Video creation, it tells me data is too large, which is correct. So I copy the title to DVD-R by resampling to a lower bitrate with the auto function. BUT this operation looses chapters entries!

I must be missing something because I can't believe I must first downsample to the HDD and the add chapter points and then copy to DVD-R. It must be possible to make this on the fly from the HDD to DVD-R!?!?

Thank you for your answers and sorry for my approximate english.

Roto

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately, you're not missing anything. You do lose the chapter marks when re-encoding. The way I get around it is to 'pretend' to burn it to DVD get the correct bitrate to fiit it all onto a DVD at the maximum possible, then change the media to HDD and re-encode onto that instead. I then have to and mark all the chapters again, burn to DVD, create a menu and finalize.

You might be able to create chapters on the DVD after buring and before finalization, but I don't know, I haven't tried.

3. Roto

Roto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your response even if I'd have preferred another one!
    I have tried setting chapter points after re-encoding to a DVD-R but it is not possible. Perhaps on a DVD-RW but it makes no sense as I need a DVD-R at the end!

Roto

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try this...

Make a playlist of each chapter without adds.

Then do a rate convertion on each

Then combine them to make a new full version maybe by a playlist but there is also a "combine titles" option I've seen but never used.

You might try something like this out on a short recording to make sure of the method.

A rate conversion loses any chapters but this way you do the conversion of each chapter the combine them.

Finally burn to DVD-R

5. Roto

Roto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jdarushall,
    Thank you for your input but this does not allow to downsample AND to copy to DVR-R at the same time, which would save much time!
    Well, I think I must forget about this function on my Tosh... :( I find this lack of function annoying and very surprising because it ssems to me that it would be of common use, wouldn't it?

Roto

6. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may be going about this all wrong???

If you do a rate conversion it will take as long as it takes... ie a 2 hour programme takes 2 hours.

A playlist creation take a couple of seconds, the only extra time that this will take is to write the DVD.

Have a look at some of the "Sticky" posts at the top, Rasczak normally has some very good things to say.

Basically you should be recording using the manual mode so the recording will fit to DVD.

Press "quick menu" then av quallity as you change the MN setting it will tell you how long a recording will fit on the dvd. It also saying somewhere near the back of the manual.

ie If programme is 2hr then SP/4.5 is good.

I think about 6.2 is good for 91 mins etc.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I haven't tried doing a rate conversion dub yet; but I would have expected the chapters to remain. Is this unique to the Toshiba, or do other recorders work the same way?

I agree that ideally you should try and avoid a rate conversion, though sometimes rate conversion will be neccessary. The way I work (in my brief few weeks of XS32 ownership) is if I am recording something I think I may want to later dub to a DVD, I choose an appropriate rate for the length of the programme (or set of programms, e.g. for a serial). But if it is something I just intend to watch from the HDD then wipe, I'll use a high rate to get higher quality. I expect that sometimes I will change my mind, and decide I want to archive something I recorded at a high rate, and thus want to drop the rate. When that happens I'll have to use one of the workarounds suggested.

As I don't expect to rate convert often, for me this is a minor annoyance, but I do wish it kept the chapter points.

Mark

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    When you resample you are creating a new file. Not only that you are sampling uses the original as source. So effectively the tosh decodes the files and then recodes it just as if it was any other source (hence it gets done in realtime).

As its effectively coding just another source and chapter points are simply file markers and not part of the video stream, they dont get encoded.

You litterally are creating a new video file from an old one.

As stated before, best method is to get it right on HDD before dubbing to disk.

So downsample to HDD, playlist/chapter it, burn it.