1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS32 - Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Nov 30, 2004.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Sorry, I know this has been covered before, but there were so many threads with this in it was hard to take it all in so I thought I'd ask in one place.

I am thinking that the Toshiba RD-XS32 is the one for me.
    • What features is this machine lacking that would be useful and other machines have? And how does it compare with the others I have listed below (specifically the JVC one)?
    • What problems does this machine have and is it due to be replaced any time soon - if so what's the replacement like?
    • Is 80GB hard disk enough? And can it be upgraded in future if not enough?
    • What other makes/models would people recommend as alternatives (my budget is upto £500 but not fixed)?
    • How will it work with my Telewest Digital Cable? Will it be able to control the STB?
    Other models I looked at are:
    • Sony RDR-HX900 (but the lack of editing features ruled this out for me unless there is a replacement due soon with better features)
    • JVC DR-MH30
    • JVC DR-MX1SEC (not out yet I believe)
    Thank you

Keith

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one?

3. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,
    I have an XS32 and find it very very good. The copies to both disc and hard drive are superb. Seen some of my efforts on a plasma and they are more than acceptable.
    Only problem I have had is with the bloody manual and trying to find out which are the best blanks to use. Despite reading through the forum there seems a wide concensus of opinion as to which blank media is the best.
    I have no experience of the other machines you have mentioned but I suspect you will find the Toshiba hard to beat at the price.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Keith it has been covered before hence the reluctance tp type it all in again.

1) Owners of it would say it isnt lacking anything useful others might disagree. Eg it doesnt have animated thumbnails but its subjective as to wether these are useful. Doesnt have epg but few do. Doent have digi tuner.

2) Any problems are subjective, some complain fan is loud, some say tuner isnt very sharp, but these are once again subjective and on the whole most people are happy. replacement will most prob have epg and freeview and hard disk, please search other threads for rd-xs35 or is it 52 for spec

3) 80G enuff, depends on what you are going to record and at what quality. About 20 hours on max quality about 35 on SP. It isnt upgradeable

4) this model is usually pitted against the panasonic E85

5)Can control stbs, havent got telewest but a search will find your answer

the mega rdxs32 review thread is worth the read! Its almost the rdxs32 bible

5. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just looked thru first four pages of the DVD recorder forum and found loads of questions, and answers, re ; the XS32.
    Seek and ye shall find ! I believe most of the comments are favourable but have not read them all as I already have an XS32.

6. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh can control most NTL and all Telewest Digital cable STBs - details at www.redremote.co.uk/xs32.html