Toshiba RD-XS32 Probs ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Deano70, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bought the RD XS32 about a month or so ago and have to say what a great bit of kit, im finding the manual a bit tough going in places but i think im generally there on most issues.One problem that im getting at the mo is the DVD-R creation.I have copied several programs over the last 5 weeks, I have cut out the adverts and created 5 chapters and now 1 playlist consisting of the 5 chapters.This is where it becomes a bit of a grey area for me, do I go to the Create DVD menu (from the main edit menu) or do I goto the Finalise Menu.I have tried the Finalise option and selected create Title+Chapter etc and Next then i have selected a background colour and previewed it then started the write and finalise process, the problem im getting is after the recorder has shut down, I reboot it seems to take about 1 min to load the disk and then im getting the unable to read disk error and it cannot be read, Why could someone help?, which option im meant to use DVD Creation or Finalise.
    PS The media being used is Datawrite Grey (8x) DVD-R

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have all the titles to fill the disc just go to the dvd-video create option in the edit menu.

Select the titles you want and then pick the menus etc. This will automatically create a finalised dvd-video.

Alternatively, you can high speed dub the titles to the disc and leave it unfinalised, (in case you want to add or delete titles). However, this will not play on other machines until it is finalised, which is where the finalisation option on the edit menu comes into play.

3. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Deano70

I am having similar problems, as detailed on a thread elsewhere. I have been using the DVD-Creation menu, as I have been filling the discs in one go. Same thing as you describe happens - it creates and finalises the disk, and it replays if the machine is still switched on. Switch the machine off or take out the disc, and it either does not recognise it, or comes up with an error message.

I contacted Toshiba's technical helpline about it today, and they thought, after a lot of helpful conversation, that it might be a problem with the discs. I am using TDK DVD-Rs (although I think I may have got a bad batch) and Infiniti DVD-Rs. I agreed to monitor the situation, and, if it got worse or continued, to send the machine back for service with a note of the problem, and a copy of a working DVD-R and a problem DVD-R.

The problem is also not consistent. Sometimes it reads the disc and sometimes it does not. I suggest you try the disc on another dvd drive, a player if possible. In all cases, discs that the Tosh would not read revealed themselves to work fine on a dedicated DVD player or PC DVD-Rom drive, so it is not burning coasters. In fact, while I was on the phone, I was trying discs on the Tosh itself, and those that had not played in the past, played! Perhaps the mechanism is jsut very fussy.

Sorry this is not a solution to your problem, but at least you know you are not suffering alone. I think I will try some different media, and see what happens.

4. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and info I shall experiment with a -RW disk and see if I can attempt to get to the bottom of my problem or is it just a duff batch of media?.By the way the first disk I created that would not read back, seems ok on my Sharp surround sound dvd (SDAT50) player although -R disks on this system tend to lock up and freeze/jitter after about 1hr, so this is not what i really want my scenario to be, burn -R on the Tosh and then play on the sharp.. :nono: