1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD XS32... PDC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SDHoward, Nov 3, 2004.

1. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok what does the little PDC on the display mean.

I'm just trying to work out if the Toshiba is getting a proper signal.

it flashes between programs and remains solidish while a recording is on.

should it be solid all the time.

any thoughts
    ta
    Steve

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PDC is Programme Delivery Control (I think that is the right acronym) and is part of VideoPlus. Not all channels use it all of the time, e.g. Channel 5 does not use it at night. It is supposed to ensure that recordings start at the right time if there are schedule changes. (I think that is right, I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong ;))

I do not know what it means when it is flashing. I have the same issue, but not all of the time. I have some regular weekly recordings booked so the little timer symbol is there all the time.

I asked the question in a previous thread but there was no answer then. Maybe somebody knows more now.

NS

3. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for ther reply
    Yes I've got it set up for a number of weekly recordings too.

As far as I can tell BBC1,BBC2 and channel 4 have it. I wasn't sure about channel 5, and ITV at least in my region don't do it.

I had some fun setting up the automatic time thingy, but managed to sort it by tweeking the tuning of BBC1.

With PDC though I'm not sure how you can tell if its working properly. I had some fun where BBC2 kept switching off a few minutes after starting a recording, I've fiddled with the tuning a little so I think its ok.

Anyway would be nice to know what a flashing PDC means.. maybe it just means its waiting for a recording to start, but then what does a solid one mean and what when it flashes a bit duing recording a program...hmm

have fun
    Steve

4. PHOBIC ®

PHOBIC ®
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've always had niggling doubts about PDC. Videoplus sounded great till, in reality, if the programming went askew - late starts etc, then it was useless. Enter PDC with a signal that delays a recording start until the program starts. Excellent, but if you have pre programmed a BBC1 show from 7pm - 7.30pm and subsequently pre programmed a Channel 4 show from 7.30 - 8pm and the Beeb show gets delayed, then you'll miss the second timer recording. Cant be helped i suppose but PDC is only going to work well if you DONT pre program consecutive running programs on different channels, or if you do, then hope that there isnt a delay. And i still dont know which channels use PDC and at what times. This country ought to get its act together - i mean, PDC has been around now long enough for all channels to use it 24 / 7.