1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS32 Operating noise levels

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tuttonp, Sep 21, 2005.

1. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I have purchased an RD-XS32 from another forum member. I have a question about it's operation though which I'm hoping an unbiased owner might have. I have it installed and it works fine but there is a lot of fan noise from it, a low but pretty intrusive hum most of the time. Is yours noisy in operation?? or is my fan on its way out??

or can it be replace with a quieter fan??

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It seems to be a subjective thing... or maybe some are worse than others. I can hear my XS32 only if the volume is way down, and even then it just sounds like a fan to me - i.e. the noise is from the air moving. It doesn't bother me.

Mark

3. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the XS34. I am now selling it for theat very reson. I hate the noise of the thing... and it is slow to start but i already knew that... any offers?

4. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always found mine noisy but did eventually "tune it out" - the rushing noise of the air wasn't so intrusive that I couldn't ignore it.

I took the cover off last night. On the right of the machine is a PSU board, and there are two power transistors fastened to bits of tinplate acting as heatsinks. The fan is a standard 2" equipment fan screwed to the back of the case. It is connected to the PSU board by a standard connector.

I disconnected the fan and ran the machine for a while with the lid off. The heatsinks got quite hot but not too hot to touch. I have put it back into my rack like that (since the Pioneer I bought to replace it is going back, see another thread). It is now vastly quieter, except that loading and unloading disks is a bit noisier - not really a problem.

I would think that if you opened up the slots on the right of the top cover to a single rectangular hole, and fitted a series resistor to the fan to slow it down, you could make it a lot quieter and still run it with the cover on. It would probably also help to open up the exhaust hole in the back to a single round hole.

5. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The current Maplin catalogue (page 810) has some "Ball Bearing Thin DC Fans". They are 12, 50x50x10mm, £6.99 inc VAT.

I would guess 10mm thick is thinner than the existing fan but they should still fit. They have flying leads so you'd have to fit your own connector or use the wires to the existing fan.

6. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would these be quieter?
    Is it not the air rush that is creating the noise?

7. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know since I think I'll be getting some for the Pioneer DVR-530 I've just bought!

It may be that they are better engineered so the blades cause less turbulence as they cut the air so less noise. Experimentation will tell.