Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba RD-XS32 firmware language

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spiroom, Jul 19, 2005.

1. spiroom

spiroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, can anybody tell me if the version of the german link works fine in
    any setup language or displays in german only????
    My XS32 fails when read any DVD-R 8x (sony) recorded on my pc; can this
    firmware fix it????

Thanks in advance.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The firmware update from the German site does not affect the language or displays.
    It does seem to greatly increase the variety of media it will accept, so it is worth trying, can't be sure it will fix your particular problem.
    http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/dvdsupport/89/

Mark

3. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Redsox Mark. I wonder if you could put me right on something? I've just been onto the Toshiba Service Centre, and been told that they do not issue Firmware or Software updates for the RDSX32. My machine has Software version ZL11 and Firmware 1414.

On this site I *think* I read something about changing it to ZL12 and 1416. Is this possible? Toshiba insist that the updated software and firmware is specific to the RDSX34.

I've followed the link you provided, but being in German, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. If I can upgrade, I'd love to know how and where I download software from.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Nathan,

Yes, that German site has a firmware upgrade for the XS32. I've loaded it, as have others. Unfortunatly, Toshiba UK aren't aligned with Toshiba Germany, so they claim no knowledge of this upgrade. There is a upgrade for version 13 engines and one for version 14. As you have 1414, you want the version 14 one. Note the software version (ZL11) isn't changed by this.

Like you, I had ZL11, 1414. I loaded 1415, then more recently 1416. With 1416, the XS32 will burn on 4x -RW discs (though only at 2X). Before 1416, the XS32 won't touch as 4x -RW disc. The upgrades also make it less fussy in general about media, though this is harder to quantify.

So, if you want to upgrade you have to put up with German instructions and use at your own risk.... below are the translated (by Google) instructions:

New firmware for the Toshiba D-r1/rd-xs 32 for the improvement of the medium compatibility of the DVD of multi-drive assembly: NOTE: There are two different hardware versions of the D-r1/rd-xs 32. The firmware (L.G.) 1314 and 1416 are for different hardware versions of the DVD of drive assembly. 1. Please you guarantee before an update, which basic version (13 or 14) in your equipment was blocked. This can be examined in the set UP menu. There the L.G. versions of the drive assembly and the software are indicated. The first two numbers indicate, which drive assembly hardware version is in your equipment. 2. Before the update you unpack the downloaded ZIP file. 3. Provide an CD-r on basis the contained image file (* img) over "disk of image provide" in your fuel program. Additionally the ZIP contains - this guidance of file. 4. The file system of the resulting disk cannot be read by a DOS PC. We recommend a burning speed of 2x. 5. You reinvest this disk into the D-r1/rd-xs32 and to switch it off and then. (U.U. must repeat you the procedure several times, if you receive an error message). If the disk should not be accepted, use please an CD-r blank of another manufacturer. 6. Follow the further instructions of the D-r1/rd-xs 32. With the L.G. versions 1314 and 1416 are made possible the compatibility around Dvd RW media with quadruple (4x) scanning rate of the following manufacturers: 1.TDK 2.JVC 3.MITSBISHI 4.VERBATIM please adhere you exact to these data and the instructions of the equipment during the update, in order to avoid a defect at your recorder. Note for the Downloadseite: Note: Before the Download please absolutely read: The product is supplied without warranty for defects and without guarantees of any kind - neither expressly nor implicitly -, including the implicit guarantees for the marketability or suitability for a certain purpose. If the software program in any form should prove as lack afflicted, then the quality and product achievement risk lie concerning the software program completely with you. They take over all costs of all necessary maintenance and repair work. Limitation of liability. If one of the warranty exclusions specified above should not apply or if the following limitation of liability should not apply, then the adhesion exceeds or compensation in the context of payment of damages achievements for requirements of any kind in connection with your use of the software program or the documentation - regardless of any juridical systems - not the royalty (if applicable), which you for the software program and the documentation paid, and/or which part of the purchase price, which you for the product, with which the program and the documentation were together sold or supplied, is be added and the software program and the documentation to have paid to that.

Mark

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
  6. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Vorsch sprung durch technik! Many thanks, Mark, I'll give it a go.

7. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A quick note for anyone else looking into firmware upgrades.

Toshiba UK flatly claim not to know about the update, and when presented with the evidence try to claim it's only for the German machine. But, for the intrepid or desperate, it does work. Applying it is a bit off a task, though. The first disk I burned kept on falling over and giving me an 'update not completed' message. However, once I'd manually altered the downloaded IMG file to an ISO, and used Nero to burn a new disk, I was almost in business.

Others will no doubt have different experiences, but it took me three attempts to get the Tosh to accept an update from Firmware 1414 to 1416. Amusingly, the one that worked happened when I was staring at the machine willing the damn thing to work! When it's done, it powers down without being asked, and coming out of stand-by produces a message asking if you'd like to run the update. Just say no, and eject the disk. Firmware 1416 will be installed, and does seem better at recognising X4 speed -RW disks.

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Nathan,

Glad you got it to work. Agree it isn't straightforward - in fact, with the burning software I had (I didn't have Nero) I couldn't burn a disc that it would recognise at all. Thankfully some kind forum members helped me out by sending me a disc!

Mark

9. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, there does seem to be a requirment for Nero. I originally burned a disk using Stomp RecordNow Max. In theory, this or any other burning software should have produced the same result on the same system. Evidently, there is something about the file which only Nero sees properly.

Someone at Toshiba UK should definitely extract the digit, though, and admit there is an upgrade. All they have to do is add a link, or grab the file and put it on their own site! Typical UK, these days, eh?

Okay, I'm off to begin transferring my old VHS collection to DVD-RAM. Starting, I think, with WKRP in Cincinnati. :smashin:

10. coyote51

coyote51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,it is possible to change the hdd in a toshiba rd-xs32

thanks

11. koootzz

koootzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I realise this is an old thread but my xs32 has started to reject dvd-r's and I'm thinking the firmware upgrade might be worth a try. The toshiba link appears to be down though, does anyone have a copy of the upgrade disc that they would be able to copy for me? I will, of course, cover all costs.
    My sw version is ZL10 and DVD drive sw is 1414.

Thanks

12. trampas

trampas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From another thread and thanks to redsox_mark, look at:

THIS PAGE

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  13. koootzz

koootzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, machine now updated - still being mardy with fuji dvd-rw and datawrite dvdr though :(

14. trampas

trampas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a lens cleaner - a special CD used for cleaning the laser lens on a cd or dvd player. It also might be the dye type of the DVD-Rs that you are using, or even the speed rating. I don't use the machine so much now but Taiyo Yuden types always seemed to work. At the moment I use Panasonic DVD-Rs.