Toshiba RD-XS32 editing question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lex, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys,

I'm probably being really dumb here, but I haven't done much editing yet and the manual is a little limited... Is it possible to cut a recorded programme into two seperate recordings? i.e. I have recorded two 60min shows in one 120min lump. I now want to seperate them so that I can put them on two different DVDs.

Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Yes. Use the 'Playlist' function to Divide each programme. If you haven't played with this much so far then I suggest trying it out on something 'non-critical' first as it can be a little daunting - although the whole purpose of non-destructive (playlist) editting is to be 'safe'.

How are you getting on with the Toshiba BTW?

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Rasczak.

Great. I am away for a few days now, but I will have a play with the playlist function when I get back.

I love it. I am probably using only about a third of the features it has, but it is a very satisfying piece of kit to own!

Thanks for the reply.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Having studied this forum and reading various reviews, I'm currently favouring the Toshiba (over the Panasonic 85 or 95) as it can write to -RW. I've previously eliminated the new Sony HX900 because of the lack of a "divide" or similar function.

I decided -RW is important, as my wife often likes me to record things for her which she watches upstairs, so I want the ability to make temporary recordings I can play easily on another DVD player. (I know -R's are cheap, but I don't really want to burn one each time I want to make a throwaway recording).

This divide function is important to me, as I want to be able to record long events and later split them on to multiple disks if I want to archive them.

According to the XS32 review in September's HCC:

"There is no Panasonic style divide function. You can do the same job with the XS32's playlists, but it can take much longer".

So I a very interested to hear how you get on spliting up recordings using playlists!

Mark

5. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Take 2 minutes, tops.

Use the 'Chapter' function to create a break in the middle where required.

Create 2 playlists, one with each of the programs in.

Burn each to separate disk.

6. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And you can also zap all the adverts while your at it..... Get the Toshiba

7. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you are going to dump the ads, then when you set the chapters, put breaks at the start and end of each ad break. Then when you compile the playlist, omit the advert chapters.

May take slightly longer, but less fragmentation of the HD rather than deleting segments from within a recording.

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    redsox_mark:
    The Pioneers let you Divide titles Combine titles, Erase Sections and Edit chapters within the Copy List so you 'build what you want to copy without touching the HDD original. It's easy to 'top and tail' the intro and end ads by Dividing and Erasing (from the copy list), intermediate ads are removed with Erase Section.
    There are some restrictions about combining items, depending on recording mode (LP or SP or better) and Frame Accurate settings, but I think these apply to all recorders because they are characteristic of the recording type (DVD video or VR) rather than the machine.
    You can download the Tosh, Pioneer and Sony manuals, but not the Panasonic (yet).

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks... more to think about. I started looking at the Sony and Panasonic first, due to "brand awareness". When I realized the Sony didn't have the editing functions I wanted plus I wanted DVD-RW, I looked at the Toshiba, which had a lot of good recomendations and seemed to fit the bill. I just had not considered the Pioneer...

Looking at the manuals, it is clear that the Pioneer has the better manual! But functionally they seem similar. Toshiba has DVD-RAM as well, but I don't think I need this (PC drive is +/- but not RAM). Toshiba also has component out which may be useful, as my plasma screen has a component in. Price is similar, if you compare the 80 GB versions; though Pioneer has the 720 giving a 160 GB option...

Decisions, decisions.

Mark

10. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Toshiba can do all this - including erasing sections (chapters) - although the manual does warn you this can fragment the disc.

I think perhaps Toshiba's 'playlist' is the same as Pioneer's 'copylist'.

The playlist facility is very easy to use and you can set chapter marks down to a frame. You have fast forward/reverse, slow motion and frame advance/reverse to aid editing.

Just chop your programme into chapters, with breaks at the point where you want to dump and keep material. Choose the chapters you want to keep as a playlist and then copy it to either the HDD or DVD RAM/-RW-R.

Cheers,

Ray D

11. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, almost the same, because:

- you can have severall playlists at the same time in toshiba but you can only have one copy list at a time in pioneer

- you can high speed dub a playlist to DVD/HDD in toshiba but you can only high speed dub a copy list to DVD in pioneer

I think i stand correct, but I ask if any toshiba owner can confirm this.

BTW, i'm not arguing that these extended features of toshiba playlists are really usefull, i'm just saying that they are there ...

Hope that helps

12. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Well, I've taken the plunge.... after much research I've gone for the Toshiba XS32.
    Just placed an order with RGB Direct.

Thanks to many on this forum for advice and information... a special thanks to Rasczak, from whom I have learned a lot!

Mark