Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD-R Reading Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barzo, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Lately my Tosh has being having fits reading DVD-Rs authored by it. It has begun taking an age to load when successful, and more often than not throws up one of the following two messages:

(i) Disc may be dirty or damaged (I'm paraphrasing). On checking some discs, thumbprints evident - on others, no sign even of dust!
    (ii) Something is wrong with disc. Playback available only (again, a paraphrase). Disc content will play, but menus are not available. When I look at Disc Management on Quickmenu, it says that the disc is not finalised (when it has been, and through the DVD-Video Create function in the Edit menu).

All discs that have displayed this problem play perfectly well in my dedicated DVD player and laptop DVD. Anyone experienced similar problems or have any ideas?

This situation has only arisen within the last few days.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had mine since release.

Play DVD-Rs it authored daily with no probs, dvd-Rs are bulkpaq orange and Ritek A grade

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what discs are you using?

I had problems with datasafe, I also had a batch of dodgy ritek discs a while ago.

I also would not touch bulkpaq with a barge pole.

4. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +422
    I'm using TDK and Infiniti. The big concern is that the problem has only begun recently, which suggests, I suspect, something has gone wrong with the drive mechanism. The second error, where it reads the disc but says that is damaged and does not replay the menu, is the really strange one!

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    long shot but have you tried unplugging it, playing a dvd-video then trying a -r

is it only old -r it will not recognise or all of them.

6. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had this problem and at first I assumed it was a problem with the hardware, especially when it happend with two successive disks, but on inserting a third disk, it all worked again so I reckon it's duff media.

7. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Many thanks for all comments and suggestions. This problem does seem to have sorted itself out, although it is still taking some time to read finalised DVD-Rs - much longer than normal DVD-Videos. Is this common?

Looks like I got a duff batch of TDK discs. Some of them have problems replaying on PC also (though all will play back in new Pioneer 575 player!). Ah the wonders of dyes, layers and lasers!