Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bob H2, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my machine since August 2004. I live in Australia so it is a PAL machine.

Recently it has stopped recognising DVDs and says that the DVDs are dirty or damaged. Store DVDs, -R and -RW as well as DVD-Ram are all unable to be loaded.

Anyone had a similar problem?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Will it load and play an audio CD?

3. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had the same problem,it also started to corrupt recorded ram discs.
    The only discs it would play were bought ones.
    It Started with being very fussy about what disc it would
    record to and then it would not play back DVD's made on
    the machine,would not recognise rams(recorded) and corrupt them at
    the same time(would not play in my computer.)
    Lucky for me I had an extended warranty from Richer Sounds.
    They fitted a new disc drive.

4. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    bobH2: what 'dvd-spec' are these DVDr's??? If they are any higher than 2.1 (usually more than 4x) you will have problems.. I have had to hunt for these discs for my xs32, everyone is only selling x8 discs...

this is a very old machine now, though I think a new firmware may solve it, the problem is getting it done...

5. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 4x-R and 2x-RW. All the disks I am now trying to load have been loaded before including the DVD-Ram disks. I understand that the Firmware upgrade allows 8X disks to be used but I don't know how to flash the firmware.

Looks like the burner is on the way out and needs replacement. Luckily I have extended warranty

6. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

7. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pulled the power plug for a couple of minutes and rebooted. It now reads -RW but refuses to format or burn to them. Says unsuitable medium.

Looks like a new DVD burner required. What brand is the DV in these machines- LG?

8. kriss

kriss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ve had this problem early last year and the answer is your machine is fitted with the earlier HDD it requires a new drive and the latest firmware updates Tosh are aware of this problem and have been since the early days of this machine therefore get them on the fone and demand they change the drive for you even if its out of warranty, if you get no joy at first ring them again and again, as I`ve already said they are aware of this issue...
    i also have a long tech log on this HDD so if you want the tech log I`ll send root it out of the computer and send it to you.

9. Ronnie101

Ronnie101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba RD-XS30 seems to have progressive deterioration of the DVD drive - it will now only play back DVDs (RAM & -R), and not recognise brand-new Panasonic DVD-RAM disks which do work fine on my uncle's Panasonic DVD recorder. All -R disks record OK, and one or two of my RAM disks still do record, though - so it's a progressive problem, not a total failure.

I bought a lens cleaning disk last year when it started to fail intermittently, which seemed to significantly improve matters, but now cleaning the lens makes no difference, even if I open the DVD drive and physically clean the lens with extremely dilute Fairy liquid water.

The drive is a Matsush*ta (ie Panasonic) LF-ETS311R2 (July 2003) which does not have standard PC-style connections on the end, but a little ribbon cable going into the side.

It seems that the cheapest way to fix will be by getting a working second-hand simple DVD recorder by Panasonic or Toshiba and swapping the DVD drive.

(Note that the JVC DR-M10/20/etc use DVD drives with a standard PC-style connection, even though they are owned by Matsush*ta).

10. neril

neril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1