1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS32 Discontinued

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike_P15, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mike_P15

Mike_P15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had to return the RD-XS32 that I had just purchased due to a fault with the IR (the remote was not talking to the unit). I was told by the supplier that they could not replace it as Toshiba have discontinued this model and could not supply them with any more.

I managed to source one from another supplier, but if you are after one - move quickly.

Apparently no replacement model from Toshiba is available yet.

2. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good

Look at the number of problems people have had with this machine on this forum. Every other posting is RD-XS32 related.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The RDXS32 is a top machine. Most of the problems relate to setup issues - it isn't the easiest machine to use - but that isn't the machines fault! In addition it is also one of the more popular models on the forum - hence why there are more posts. Many people, me included, are looking forward to the new RDXS34 as it looks like the most promising DVD recorder in the first half of this year.

There are some very good bargains on the RDXS32 at present - as Mike suggests, if you want one, buy now.

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That just shows its a popular machine. The only serious issue seems to be one with media, and I havn't experienced any problems in that or any other areas.

5. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been toying with idea of the RDXS32 vs the E85 for a while but decided to go for the Toshiba, then I saw all the problems people have had and decided to wait for the RDXS34. I do hope that its not just a bigger HDD, I hope, for example, that it is better built, quieter fan etc.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    If you want better build quality, silent machines then you have to put your hand in your pocket I'm afraid: the Panasonic E500 and Pioneer DVDR920 are both well built, solid machines as you'd expect for machines that sell for £1000 each! Your never going to get excellent build on a sub-£400 machine.

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and buy Philips HDRW720 - which makes no sound at all & includes free EPG :smoke:

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny how this 'popularity' argument doesn't stand up if it's a Philips

9. ammar

ammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a DMRE20 since the moment they came out in the UK more than 2 years ago, then I had to get Philips 890 and I actually prefer the 890. With all the probs people are reporting re the +RW format, I know I had far fewer problems with the 890 than with the E20.

Really for anything above the £350.00 mark one has to consider the SKY+/ DVD-R (with no HDD) option, surely that it best?

10. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think it's about time JethroUK and Rasczak met in the ring for a 6-round wrestling match. I'd buy a ticket :D.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yeah - if you buy the Philips HDRW720 you can have a really c*** machine for less than £500. ;) Shame the original poster has had his thread hi-jacked :( Second time Jethro has done this in as many days.

Not at all - it's not worth it - after all it's not me who would be buying the machine that has been hammered in Home Cinema reviews, has serious limitations even when compared to 'budget' combis such as the LiteOn and from a company with a poor reliability record.

If people can't see the difference between setup issues with the Toshiba and reliability problems with the Philips range then they do indeed deserve Jethro (with his all Philips experience) advising them! :laugh:

12. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Broken machines often do make no sound at all !! :rotfl: Does the 'free EPG' in this case stand for 'free Extra Philips Gremlins' ? :laugh:

Apologies for continuing the hi-jacking of this thread - couldn't resist ;)

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    :thumbsdow IMHO the RDSX32 smokes monkey pole

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Which just goes to show you can't please everyone all the time. I think I read on another post that it was media compatibility that has frustrated you Ironduke? As has been suggested in the Review thread stick to major branded media and you should be fine - I have been able to burn 1-4x speed Verbatim, Panasonic, TDK, Maxell, Sony and Packard Bell DVD-Rs without problem, likewise TDK 1-2x DVD-RW and Panasonic/Maxell DVD-RAMs. Whilst the Toshiba is fussy the trick is finding media it likes and sticking with that.

Have you tried changing the Toshiba for a Panasonic or Pioneer? You'll loose the features of the RDXS32 but will still end up with an excellent machine.

15. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    whats monkey pole?

16. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373

it doesnt create fully DVD compliant Discs, it also should be tricky at all toshiba should release a firmware upgrade and its writing aint bad its its reading which is shocking

17. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree 100% with that as when the engineer tokk the lid off my Tosh I had a look.

Theres a Seagate 80G drive and a Toshiba WD3020 Ram recorder which doesn't seem to exist as a drive

Now if they put an LG RAM recorder in it, I don't think there would be anything to complain about. The only drawback would be you could not use caddied discs.

An excelent machine let down by probally one of the worse DVD recorders I've ever used.

Is this why Panasonic machines don't get such a bad press???

Funny they haven't tried having a RAM/-RW drive until the next models come out. I wonder if they will start having problems???

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Considering Panasonic recorders all read a wide variety of DVD-RWs (including unfinalised VR mode ones) I don't think this is going to be a major issue.

Rubbish. Discs from the Toshiba RDXS32 are fully DVD-Video compatible. If your talking about the lack of an AUDIO_TS folder then it is the players who won't read a disc without it which have the problem - not the Toshiba.

19. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would aggree that a lack of a AUDIO_TS folder should be a problem.

But how do you explain that a disc -RW or -R produced on the Tosh has a Content menu but if you copy it the resulting disc does not. Something mush be done as part of the format as its not in the File structure.

I'd bet on Panasonic producing a drive that can read/write -RAM and -RW more than any other manufactures. I was wondering if this was a posible reason why (until now) they didn't have write -RW or is it down to something else.

I've had multi format drives from a few companies but only the LG drive appears to be reliable across the formats.

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    It has been simple politics why Panasonic haven't added DVD-RW to their machines: by keeping them DVD-RAM only they encourage you to buy further Panasonic products (RAM discs, PC DVD-RAM drive, DVD-RAM player etc). It has been added now because:
    a) a large number of people want compatible re-recordable media
    b) a large number of people buy machines based on how many formats it supports (stupid but true :( )
    c) they want to consume Pioneer's market share (there is a bitter fued between the two companies)

The discs are produced with no menu (fully compliant) - the Toshiba recognises this and uses it's own Top Menu system - much as any -VR recorder does for a -VR recording.

LG are good - but they are not entirely troublefree (do a forum search!). I wouldn't say they are significantly better/worse than the Samsung, Toshiba or Pioneer drives I've owned though. They are so many types and makes of media though that people are always going to run into snags with some drives.

21. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned/used many of the machines discussed and the RDXS32 is certainly a very good machine for the money. It is probably the single most popular machine out there at the moment. I'm afraid I have no experience of the Philips machine(s) as past experiences have taught me to steer clear. Different machines offer different features and a high price does not necessarily mean that you will get the best. This is probably best exemplified by the "top of the range" Sony models which are very poor on editing but excellent in the picture quality department. The complexity of these machines means that many buyers do not discover "missing" features until after they have bought the machine. Many dealers do not know the intracacies of the boxes they are selling and a forum such as this is the best way to do research before buying. As for saying that there are so many problems with the RDXS32, this is, as Rasczak says, simply because they are probably the single most popular machine and if people don't read the manual properly and try to use "cheap" media they will have difficulties. Personally, I think the LectroHD-7870 is probably the best machine out there as no-one ever mentions any problems with it and I assume everyone is delighted with its features (It doesn't actually exist but I am making the point that more users=more questions=more comments=more posts!).

Any "newbie" is best advised to spend several hours going through this forum before even thinking of posting a message such as "What is the best HDD/DVD". There is no simple answer as no machine does everything wanted/needed (yet!). JVC machines will let you delete old HHD recordings whilst in record mode, most other machines do not. The Panasonics automatically give sensible titles to recordings from teletext, some will record and playback genuine NTSC signals some won't. It is a minefield of questions and everyone wants to think they have the best machine out there. Some people really should do more research on these forums before posting questions/statements that are wholly unrepresentative. I can't understand how Rasczak is so patient with people - he must have been answered the same questions a thousand times and still he keeps his cool!

22. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but why if you copy the disc created on the Toshiba, the resulting disc has no menu at all. The Content menu (that was available on the original) disapears and all you get is the message saying its not avalible with pre-recorded content. If the disc is an image copy it should be the same.

Probally only a minor point but if the content menu exists then you can dub back to HDD.

23. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do you copy the disc?

24. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried Nero, InstantDVD and DVDdecrpyter. All in Disc at Once mode. Tried to an image then to disc and direct from reader to writter.

All I can figure is something different is done as part of the finalisation.

Using DVDdecrpter in ISO mode produces an unreadable disc when written to a new disc.

25. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    no it isnt its fact :rolleyes:

26. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,912
    Can we get this thread back on track?
    Anyone seen any at bargain prices yet?

27. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    RGBDirect.co.uk have it for £360 which seems to be the average price at present.