Toshiba RD-XS32 Connection Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BurghRocks, Jun 14, 2004.

1. BurghRocks

BurghRocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All,

I'm pretty new to all of this and quite honestly would rather do without all of the setup for my home theater system but my options are limited. I have just purchased the following:

Toshiba RD-XS32 DVR
    Toshiba 32HF73 TV
    Onkyo HST760 HTIB
    Digital Cable Box (General Electric, Comcast is the provider)

Basically, I have a lot of inputs to work with but what is the best way to connect them? The reason I posted here is because my main question regards the DVD recorder. If I use Component Video cable from the DVD Recorder to the receiver, then from the receiver to the TV, I understand that I can also use the red/white audio cables as well. However, if I want to record from the digital cable box, can I run both the coax AND the component? I don't understand the relationship between the two and I don't want to degrade the quality of the sound or picture.

Thanks!

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Componant is picture only.

However the tosh cannot record from componant, its out put only.

In your set up I would guess.

DTV <RGB SCART> DVR <RGB SCART> TV

+ audio connects to HTIB

But I will also have a connection connundrum when I get mine. Not sure wether to start a new thread or use this one as it has the same title.

I need to connect VCR, DVR, SKY, Video Sender (2 inputs), TV (2 scarts), Proj (Z2)

The best I can come up with is:
    Sky (RGB OUT)< SCART> DVR <SCART> TV (RGB IN)
    DVR<AV out to SCART> Video Sender
    DVR <Componant> Proj
    AMP <Svideo> Proj
    AMP <composite> Proj
    Sky <Scart> VCR
    VCR <Scart> Sender
    Sender <Scart> TV

On Audio:
    DVR <coax> AMP
    VCR <audio> AMP
    Sky <audio> AMP
    DVR <COAX> AMP

If this works I should be able to:
    Watch DVD/SKY/VCR on TV using scarts
    Watch DVD (componant), Sky (svid) on Projector (never use VCR on proj)
    Record Sky on either VCR or DVR.

All theoretical! Any improvements?

3. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I went sky (rgb) to DVD-R (rgb-in) the DVD-R (rgb-out) to TV (rgb-in). This was okay, but if you were recording anything other than sky, you couldn't watch sky.

So, I got a two-way scart splitter to, in effect, give me 2 rgb outputs from sky, one to the tv and one to the DVD-R.

It took me about six hours to get it all hooked up, exactly as I wanted it, with a lot of trial and error. But was well worth it.

Cos my tv has built-in freeview, I connected it to the 2nd scart and can now record from freeview (on AU1) and sky (on AU2) and well as normal terrestrial.

The only thing I can't get it to do at the moment is output the HDD/DVD contents via RF. Bit of a shame, cos all my other tellies are connected and no matter how I tune them they won't pick up the Tosh downstairs.

Never mind,

Matthew

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sat mon is for watching sky while recording something else. I think the button is on bottom row of remote

5. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    nunew33:

Really, cool. I'll try that tonight.

When you get your machine, I have a ? for you if you don't mind, regarding dvd-compatible recording and nicam mode i/mode ii.

Matt

6. BurghRocks

BurghRocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well part of the problem is that I have lost the quick install guide that comes with the RD XS32. There is a manual that is like a phone book and there is a quick install guide and the install guide has the different connection options. It's not on Toshiba's website either. Thanks for the replies. Does what I asked make sense? Assuming that I cant record using the components then that leaves:

DVR <Component + Audio> HTIB <Component + Audio> TV (For playback)
    Coax from wall to DVR IN, DVR OUT <Coax> HTIB IN <Coax> TV (For recording)?

Can I have both or will the systems dumb themselves down to the Coax and make the components useless? SCART are the red/white/yellow cables right?

Thanks again.

7. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    BurghRocks, you could do that with DVR HTIP and TV

I personally would cut the middleman out unless you really need componant switching.
    Also when connecting DVR sound to HTIB I would use Coax/optical cable (keep it digital)

Unsure why you are doing coax (assuming you are using for RF signal and not sound) through HTIB?

Just read the last line think I need to go back a step:
    AV cables are the Red white (Left and right audio) and yellow (composite video and worst for images)
    Scart are 21 pin sockets usually connected by a thiuck cable (sometimes a ribbon cable)
    Componant are similar to the red white and yellow but are normally red green and blue and are usually thicker wires (coaxial cable) for video only.

|And now I realise why there is confusion.....You are in amarica, right? SCart is a euro thing. Where you have loads of Svideo and phono connectors we have a 21 pin Scart socket!!!!

9. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Goldfish:

I've noticed the interference on the tv's upstairs too. As soonas I switch the rcorder off, the interefence disappears, so you're not alone :(

Nunew:

Just thought, if i change the way i'm set-up to loop-thru the rgb, i'll lose the ability to record from freeview, so think i'll leave it as it is... although i will have a play when I get home, just to see the satmon button in action.

10. BurghRocks

BurghRocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Nunew. Yep, I am in America. I have some familiarity with the types of cables but was unsure of the SCART. I was just basically using the receiver or HTIB as the middleman because that seems to be the way the manual that came with the receiver says to do it. I need the output from the receiver for DVD playback and watching movies on digital cable so I assumed the best way to do that would be to have it as the middleman.
    I think my problem is that Im sure there are some basic rules when setting any of these types of things up and I do not really posess that knowledge. When looking online, all I can seem to find are guides for which things to buy, not so much setting everything up.

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Burghrocks are you aware of www.avsforum.com its the US equivelent of this site. I am sure if you list your kit someone will give you a US focused ideal connection map.

Matthew, Sat mon is a Tosh feature available on their VCRs, im assuming its the same thing and works a treat on my Tosh VCR. Like you say though if free view is your source and its built in to the telly its useless!! I suppose one advantage of an STB!

12. BurghRocks

BurghRocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check out the US boards, thanks again for the help nunew. :)

13. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BurghRocks

I do not mean to highjack your thread, but since this is all to do with the DVD recorder connection I hope you do not mind. I have drawn a sketch of my connection and all worked as I expected except for one problem is the annoying interference on analog TV channels&#8230; Perhaps the knowledgeable on this forum can help

Tan

Attached Files:

14. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Goldfish, same here, I get interference too. But only on weaker channels. Will test a splitter amp as first stop and feed to DVR, VCR and TV. Dont use RF as an output.

Not allowed to play with it till tomorrow now

15. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matthew Attoe / nunew33

Spent over 2 hours last night to identify the interference problem on analog channels.
    it seemed that when using the loop thro RF on the tosh RDX32, not only it amplifies the signal level to an extent that it over loads my splitter but it also generate higher than normal noise to the modulated signal. I manage to reduce the interference by stop using its loop thro to my splitter and instead only using it to loop thro my TV3 feed for upstaris where interference on a small CRT TV is not so noticeable. If you guys interested I can make another attempt to re-draw my sketch.

Tan

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So if I split off and sent to tosh problem solved?

17. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I split off and sent to tosh problem solved?

No I did not solve my problem but only masking it (or work-round). My main TV and the other 2 sets are now ok, with little or no interference present on all 5 analog channels. On the small tele with the loop-thro, if I were to look very closely I can detect some patterning video interference.
    Reading back to your earlier post, you stated that it only affect the weaker channels, you might have a harder task ahead. Give it a try and see if the problem is reduced, it did not cost me any thing but time.

Hope this helps

Tan

18. Alanji

Alanji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar setup to Goldfish. To watch the Tosh on other tellys using RF, switch the vcr input to the Tosh ie AV1 or AV2 (I am using phono to scart) then tune the other telly to the vcr channel. Works for me.