1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RD-XS30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rosemanbridge, Dec 25, 2003.

1. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does the Toshiba RD-XS30 have RGB Scart input/output sockets?

The online reviews (camuser & HCC) say no, but the Jan issue of What Hi-Fi (page 99) states both video inputs & outputs support RGB.

I am looking for a good HDD/DVD Recorder. The Panny E100 is ruled out as it only has an Optical Digital Output and no co-axial ( My DVR100 Freeview box occupies the only Optical output on my Meridian 568)

The Pioneer 5100 doesn't have RGB inputs.

I really would like an 80Gb HDD, Co-axial Audio out, RGB in & outputs.

I'm thinking that I need to wait a bit longer
    :(

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No RGB in on the Tosh-RGB out though

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out my thread on the player

XS30

it is a great player RGB in or not

the quality of recordings is superb

when it burns a high speed dub to -r it makes a perfect digital copy of what is on the HDD. So you do not need to record to the HDD at a high bit rate then re-encode at a reduced rate to put on -R. So basically, 60Gb goes a long way just over 80hrs maximum.

you really would not regret getting this player, it is a very good stand alone player too.

The Poineer 5100 is meant to be very good also but again no RGB in but a 80Gb drive

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, I read that article yesterday too, and I think HCC made a pigs ear of the specs as nearly every model they reviewed they said had RGB in, when I think it's pretty much only the Panasonics that do.

5. f_drew

f_drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a daft question. ;)

If I want to record NTSC signals (couple of old videos that I want to copy to DVD-R) and there is no RGB in on the Tosh, will they record in black and white (or not at all) ?

I'd use the s-video connection, but don't really know what the knock-on effects would be.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not tried with vhs but if you try to back up DVD R1 tp the HDD a very unusual widescreen issue crops up

the normal 2.35:1 image with balck bars top and bottom is replaced with one bigger black bag on the bottom.

I only tried to see if I could

7. f_drew

f_drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like an odd issue (but not too big of a problem if the picture is otherwise unaffected).

These starting to be available sub £500 is making them more attractive ...... :smashin:

edit - also meant to ask, what's the problem with making them multi-region ? All other Tosh DVDs seem to behackable/chippable so why not this one ?

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea

But as it has been out for quite a while now I doubt anyone is working on it

However, I would advise anyone that if they have space go for a second multiregion player as it gives you so many more options.

I have a modded multiregion Panasonic S35. This was a far better stand alone player than the E30. The PQ seemed to be much better, however I am connecting it to my tv via component leads

I got this one because it could play RAM and allowed me to edit recordings made on the e30.

There is not a great deal a difference between a Tosh 330 for example and many of the mid range priced players out there