Toshiba RD-XS25SB dvd player/recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by typhoon toshiba, Jan 20, 2008.

1. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just brought the Toshiba rd-xs25-s-tb dvd player/recorder and it comes with a western digital 160 gig hardrive and was wondering if i can swap over the hardrive for a larger size?.

I have a matching 250 gig wd hard drive but get a hd error when the drives are swapped and i am guessing this is due to a different format on the drive as it was used on a pc , as the 160 standard drive will not be read by a pc.

Any ideas would be good :), with regards to settings for the drive or what format the drive needs to work in the toshiba?

2. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in hope someone might be able to have given me advice on this.

How about anyone who has ever upgraded hardrives in any of these advanced dvd recorders.
    Have you had any problems like this in the past? and if so how the heck did you get round them LOL.

3. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The niggle is , the new model toshiba recorder has the 250 gig hardrive already in at and its the same drive i am trying to use :confused:

4. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It may be coded into the firmware as to only except a 160GB hard disk so if you did manage to put in a 250GB hard disk it may only be formatted to 160GB.

Considering the price of hard disks which they buy in bulk, they must be on huge profits despite telling us they are not making any.

They can easily stick on £100 for the difference between 160GB and 250GB but they just expect you to see it as the storage amount.

5. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true, but the only proib is i have had the new one apart and the new drive i am trying to stick in is exactly the same drive

So the only thing i can put it down to is format of the drive

6. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt realise this problem would fox everyone so much :confused:

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    A search through this forum shows a few threads on this, there are very few DVDRs of any make that will allow you to fit a larger capacity HDD.
    The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you set the jumper on the new HDD the same as the existing one?

8. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL i only wish it was that simple, and i already tried that along with 2 different model and makes of 250 gig drives.

I see from other threads that it should be dead simple to just swap the drive and set the jumper and thats it, but there is something funny with this toshiba as a pc will not find the 160 gig drive from it either unlike a sony i had apart today :rolleyes:

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    PM sent.

10. ambcoleman

ambcoleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Im sorry I can't help you with your problem but you guys obviously know a lot more than me so am seeking advice. I have bought this dvd recorder and find it hums when on and there is quite a response time delay. do you also experience this?

Lastly does anyone know of a code to unlock the player to make it multi region?

Regards

11. typhoon toshiba

typhoon toshiba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your is the same make and model as mine there should be only about 5 second delay from powering up if that.

yes there is a unlock region fix and i will dig it out for you

My above problem is on hold at the moment till i try out some advice from elsewhere to see if it works

12. watch46

watch46
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever obtain the unlock code for the Toshiba RD-XS25SB DVD player, as I also need to unlock mine?