Toshiba RCE (again)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyh41, May 22, 2001.

1. andyh41

andyh41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone confirm that their multimods are completely RCE proof, ie you can use all functions of the disc as normal? I've just bought an SD200 from Sevenoaks hifi who claim that NO ONE can get round the RCE problem totally (there's certainly doesn't). I'm pretty sure that's crap but I'd just like to know for sure. Might take it back and look elsewehere.

Cheers.

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well, I can't comment on their service as I've not used them, but Techtronics claim that all their current modded Toshiba's will cope with RCE (ie no faffing about).

3. The Sweeper

The Sweeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Techtronics might claim that their mod needs no faffing about, but my new Tosh 210 from Techtronics doesn't like The Patriot. I have to put a non-RCE disk in before playing it. It's a minor pain in the proverbial, but I can live with it.

4. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have a look at upgradeheaven.co.uk, some of their Toshi's are RCE compatible, as are many other machines, they have a list.

Philmate.

5. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have good news for you,I have just received
    my Toshiba 900e multi-region from Techtronics,this is 100% rce proof Patriot loaded first time as did Hollow Man all features work.If you contact trade@techtronics and quote Dave from Comet as reference it may help by the way if anyone wants to know the Toshiba 900e picture has to be seen to believed.
    kit Toshiba 900e
    tv- Sony 32fq75(shortly)
    vcr-Panasonic 860
    amp-Sony 1070 6.1 system
    I hope this helps

6. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the SD200 from DVDmagic.net who claimed it was fully RCE compatable with no hacks required - not true. Yesterday I tried for the first time to play an RCE disc (Hollow Man) and it just displays the region map.

7. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following on from my post above, I'd just like to say that after a phone call, DVDmagic.net took my player back and fixed it so it now plays RCE discs.

Perhaps I was just unlucky.

8. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I've said before on this board, I have a modded Pioneer 626 from LinkOnline and so far I have yet to find a single disk it doesn't play faultlessly, including all the so-called difficult disks like The Matrix, The Patriot etc. I'd recommend them to anyone.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It depends very much on who has made the modification.

Down here Pioneer players (636,737) seem to be easiest to modify and have basically set back the sale of all other players where multiregion is required.
    As well manual codeselection, if available, should avoid any problems with RCE discs.

That said I picked up a Yamaha DVD-S796 in Australia at a bargain price which is also modified (automatic mode) and plays RCE discs without any hassle.
    (Haven't tried it myself but it was shown to me at the shop with 'The Patriot').

10. vs

vs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I ordered a Toshiba 210E from John Lewis believing that it would be multiregional.
    Do you think it will be so, or will I get
    a region 2 player?

Cheers,
    \vs

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will definatly be non-multiregional from John Lewis.
    I bought my Toshiba from Leading Edge Concepts for £199. It is multiregional and will play R1 RCE disks, providing a R1 non-RCE disk has been loaded first. This seems to be the case for all Toshiba 110 and 210 mods. Service from Leading Edge was superb.

12. vs

vs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, rockyglw. Leading Edge is cheap and has next day delivery: very tempting. Do you (or anybody) think the quality of their product is as high as techtronics?

\vs

13. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I too would be intertested to know about Leading Edge vs Techtronics as I want to go for the Toshiba SD900E. Anyone?