1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba progressive problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spocktra, Dec 24, 2004.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have a toshiba 340e and a 32zp48 .When watching some dvds progressive scan is not as good quality as interlaced.Is this normal as i thought progressive is always better.Have only noticed this on region 1 discs.There is not a massive difference but its noticable.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    In general if you have a progressive capable display then having progressive output is desirable

Not familiar with your player, but Toshiba make a superb interlaced output. In fact they make the best. I like you tend to leave it on interlaced. Colurs, blacks, defintion and depth tend to be better than when you run them in PS mode. Depends on your display a little but not necessarily so.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The Toshiba 340 is basically an all chinese design (apart from badge and styling) using a chinese (well taiwanese) mediatek 1389 decoding chip.

These chips are very capable but made and sold on the cheap. I know the chip is capable of 12bit DAC conversion which is basically 4x oversampling. A great spec for a low cost dvd player. However I don't know if it can do oversampling at 4x in progressive mode. I suspect knowing mediatek the 4x oversampling probably refers to interlace mode only and that progressive mode is 2x oversampling or 10bit DAC. I could well be wrong here as its just a guess. The point is when a dvd player does progressive its handling twice as much screen data as interlace and if mediatek want to maximise performance of their chips progressive mode won't be as good as interlace its that simple with regards colour sampling/interpolation.

Its possible the chip is capable of 12bit DAC in progressive mode but this would mean the chip has plenty of spare cycles to do something with interlace like apply more picture enhancing algorithms.

If your display device has a really good de-interlacer anyway its well possible that interlace output will be better than progressive.

My 1389 based player doesn't have progressive at all and I must say the interlace picture is superb. Unfortunately the only way I can connect it to my AE100 projector is s-video. However as I'm mainly using it with divx/xvid and lower resolution stuff the slightly softer s-video image seems to remove some of the compression artifacts so isn't really a bad result.