Toshiba player with component inputs

bluefoxtim

Standard Member
Reaction score
I can't find the manual to my SD330e Toshiba dvd player so I can't answer this myself.

It has component inputs available, so does this mean it will automatically upscale / use progressive scan?

I am currently using Scart through my 2nd socket (which is not full scart - makes writing fuzzy - without RGB is it?) on my LG tv.

Even if the component cable doesn't mean upscale / progressive, is it worth getting to improve the picture considering I am not using a full scart input?

Thanks

I can't find the manual to my SD330e Toshiba dvd player so I can't answer this myself.

It has component inputs available, so does this mean it will automatically upscale / use progressive scan?

I am currently using Scart through my 2nd socket (which is not full scart - makes writing fuzzy - without RGB is it?) on my LG tv.

Even if the component cable doesn't mean upscale / progressive, is it worth getting to improve the picture considering I am not using a full scart input?

Thanks

Don't think it's got prog scan, although my SD340 did.
Definitely won't upscale, but your LCD/plasma will do that anyway.
Component video will certainly be better than non-RGB Scart, and maybe better than an RGB-enabled Scart. You'll need the audio cable too though...

Don't think it's got prog scan, although my SD340 did.
Definitely won't upscale, but your LCD/plasma will do that anyway.
Component video will certainly be better than non-RGB Scart, and maybe better than an RGB-enabled Scart. You'll need the audio cable too though...

Thanks... I already have some audio cables.

"My LCD will do that anyway", could you expand on that please?

My LCD will upscale once I use component? Or it will upscale regardless of connection?

Since getting my LCD

-the ps2 graphics are now very jagged - which I can't improve with component as I have y/pr/pb input rather than y cr/pr cb/cr
-freeview is better in most circumstances
-DVD is pretty much the same.

I haven't got any form of an HD source at the minute, so trying to get what I can and make some use of the TV's capabilities. Unfortunately my TV doesn't have the full component input for the ps2, the freeview is through SCART only, so my DVD player is the last resort to get some decent improvement.

Thanks for further suggestions

A HD Ready TV will upscale eveything that is put in it (even VHS if you had it). If it didn't you would have a black border around all four sides of the picture as it wouldn't reach the sides, top and bottom due to the TV being bigger resolution.

Thanks... I already have some audio cables.

"My LCD will do that anyway", could you expand on that please?

My LCD will upscale once I use component? Or it will upscale regardless of connection?

Since getting my LCD

-the ps2 graphics are now very jagged - which I can't improve with component as I have y/pr/pb input rather than y cr/pr cb/cr
-freeview is better in most circumstances
-DVD is pretty much the same.

I haven't got any form of an HD source at the minute, so trying to get what I can and make some use of the TV's capabilities. Unfortunately my TV doesn't have the full component input for the ps2, the freeview is through SCART only, so my DVD player is the last resort to get some decent improvement.

Thanks for further suggestions

bluefoxtim

As nwgarratt said about upscaling. Your lcd might have 768 lines and the Freeview PAL signal you get is 576 visible lines, so your telly has a built in scaler to fill in the 'interpret' the extra lines. Old CRT tvs are 576 lines so they don't need scalers, but LCDs/plasmas usually have more at least 720 if they are 'HD Ready'.

Will your LCD input not accept an RGB signal over component? From memory, the PS2 can select RGB or Y,Cb/Pb,Cr/Pr from it's component out menu option. No good if your telly doesn't also have that video input option though, but my 3yr old Hitachi did.

bluefoxtim

As nwgarratt said about upscaling. Your lcd might have 768 lines and the Freeview PAL signal you get is 576 visible lines, so your telly has a built in scaler to fill in the 'interpret' the extra lines. Old CRT tvs are 576 lines so they don't need scalers, but LCDs/plasmas usually have more at least 720 if they are 'HD Ready'.

Will your LCD input not accept an RGB signal over component? From memory, the PS2 can select RGB or Y,Cb/Pb,Cr/Pr from it's component out menu option. No good if your telly doesn't also have that video input option though, but my 3yr old Hitachi did.

My TV does have component inputs but they are stated as "Y Pb Pr" I've read on numerous websites that they are the same, they are different, the ps2 will work with them, the ps2 won't work with them. I have also read they are the best and they are the worst connection.

Taken from google images, but thats sort of what I have, just Y Pb Pr and L R audio
zenith-c34w23-hdtv-rear-panel.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom