toshiba plasma query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pioneerman, Dec 2, 2004.

1. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Can anyone help i am considering buying a toshiba 42wp37 plasma from richersounds if they still have them.The price is £1300 inc. of the connectors ie. scart component etc,which is cheaper than their panasonic pw6,i have read on this forum that this plasma is a rebadged pw6 but comes with the connectors.If this is true this would be a bargain.does anyone have the same toshiba or anyone know anything about this.Any info would be much appreciated,thanks.

2. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    I don't think anybody on here has bought the Toshiba from Richer Sounds to find out if it comes with any connection modules already installed. I suspect it does not.

Also, nobody on here seems to know for sure if Panasonic modules work with the Toshiba. We all believe it to be a re-badge of a Panasonic PW6, so in theory it should work.

Jonathan

3. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one and it doesn't come with any terminal boards! RS at milton keynes say that the Panasonic terminal boards are a straight fit.

4. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thanks for both replies also what do you think of it and did it come with a scart connector.are you happy with it?

5. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got it up and running and i'm well pleased with the picture. You can see into the dark areas in action films probably down to the 4000:1 contrast ratio and very little detectable flesh tone problem both of which i disliked on the LG PX11.

6. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    which one is you got as there is a new one now called 42wp46 which comes with all connectors and i have read is panasonic glass

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hence why RS are selling off the old stock......... toshes have been panny clones since tosh launched plasma as are almost every non budget (Fujitsu, pioneer, NEC excluded) plasma Yamaha are panny B&O are panny

8. Spindle

Spindle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 42PW37

9. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Spindle, how have you connected the unit to your source? Did you buy a terminal board (Panasonic or Toshiba) or are you using the 15 pin VGA?

Pioneerman, Its an interesting point you make about the plasma glass. I believe panasonic place alot of importance on the special glass which helps increase the contrast.

I will be demoing the screen tomorrow (hopefully) and will post my findings. One other thing, will the RS staff be prepared to unbox and demo a unit that is otherwise not on display? I guess we'll have to wait and see... ;)

regards FRANC

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i think the new TOSH is probably a PW7, Tosh dont bother putting theor own electrics behind panny glass (Fujitsu do this with VHA30 panny glass Fujitsu drive circuits VERY successful too) they just get panny to slap a tosh badge on at the end of the production line

11. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats exactly what I wanted to hear...

regards FRANC

12. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    unbeatable are doing the new toshiba for £1599 inc. of all connectors and some,and if hornydragon is right i think this is avery good price.

13. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. fredco

fredco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in this unit, both unbeatable and empiredirect have had it listed at a very good price for weeks now, but never had them in stock!
    Checked it out on Tott Court Rd, best price there was microanvika £1699.
    Ok picture, but overal unit size is BIG. Hitachi 3200 a better prospect I think.

15. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all. Picked up a Toshiba screen today. Set it up and it is very nice. The colour of the bezel is a very light grey (much like the arcam stuff) and not silver like the Panasonics. Haven't had time to put it through its paces so will post again for anyone interested.
    I didn't get any boards (already got a RGB/VGA JS box and component to VGA adapter)and declined the supercare extended warranty too. On the lookout for the component boards to add.

Initial impression, it's great!

Regards FRANC

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_22542.html
    That aint a panny................... looks like Tosh have Gone the Samsung/LG Cheap korean clone route this time....... PITY

17. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thats a shame if you are right i was going to buy one after xmas,it looks appealing and has good connections.

18. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone out there know deffo whether or not this new Tosh set is still a panny pw6/7 panel or if it is indeed the cheaper Korean type. Obviously on face value if it is a panny it's great value considering its connection spec, tuner and speakers etc.

I am on the verge of buying one of these "on the cheap" but if it's picture quality is not up to that of the pw6/7 then I might hold off and go for the slightly older 42wp36 model which is based on the pw6 panel.

Any ideas???

19. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info franc.

Is that the 42WP46 you are talking about? I must admit I didn't think you could add terminal boards to this set as it alreadys has all the scart / component vid etc connections on-board. I'm very new to this world of plasma so I could well be wrong.

20. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did franc's reply go??? :rolleyes:

21. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. I was refering to the 42wp37.

regards FRANC

22. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,

I've just emailed Tosh to ask for some more detail on the panel used in the 42wp46 but doubt they will have a clue to be honest!!

Anyone else out there got any idea?

23. evochris

evochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received an email back from Tosh about the new 42wp46 and they inform me that the panel used is different from the previous 42wp36 model but are unable to tell me any more!! No suprise there then!!

I went out for a browse around the shops yesterday to see if I could find one of the 42wp46 sets but I was unable to find any 42" Tosh plasma sets on display. :confused: Think I may just have to "suck it and see" with this one. I can get it for a very good price from a friend of the family so I just hope the PQ isn't dissapointing.

Problem is at the back of my mind I will be thinking I could have gone for the Panny PW6/7. Still £700 for the Tosh is a bargain so fingers crossed!!