1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba Picture frame 2 problems

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by potshot, Aug 8, 2004.

1. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have a toshiba picture frame 2 36" model after only 14 months old the tube went, worrying on quality. Toshiba repaired free of charge but its not the same tele in picture terms. Slightly blurred, text very blurred. Press the select button on sky remote and the programme information blurred, colours not as strong as before. Set came back after 2 weeks with the black surround damaged with the blurred picture and a loss of sound, went back the same day and got it back yesterday so a loss of 3 weeks. When I turn it on now it makes a awful noise before the picture appears. A small silver strip is damaged the rear casing scratched. I am not happy and toshiba will be getting a roasting from me on monday. The repairs were done by one of their agents who I believe don't have the technical knowledge to repair the set. I am going to ask toshiba to send on of their own technicians to repair the set properly or replace it. They will get a massive complaint about the agent they used to repair the set. The agent said they had a toshiba technician check out the set and give it the all clear which I don't believe for a moment. Before tube blew the set had a fantastic picture and now a cheap 20" tele from tesco's has a far superior picture and no blurred text. Anybody else had simular problems with picture frame tv's.

2. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi PotShot,
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope to be getting the ZP48 any day now.
    This won't help you at the moment, but maybe the original,,, or the replacement,,, tube wasn't a Toshiba one !
    I know that all manufactures use other peoples tubes (even Panasonic & Hitachi,, who make their own !!!)
    but as there arn't a lot of 36" around,,,, maybe not in this case.
    Where did you get yours from ? It might be under warranty. also the Sale of Goods Act might possibly help you,,,, in that 1/ you expect a TV to last longer than 14 months,,,, 2/ unsatisfactory repairs,,, 3/ damaged goods etc etc
    Good Luck
    Omega

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Toshiba's customer services are usually good, what they can't guarantee is the quality of the agents they use.
    Like all of the big manufacturers, Toshiba use a massive network of TV repair shops that are 'toshiba' approved, i.e. they've had some specific toshiba training.. but unfortunately, thats no reason to think they are any good.

Last time I used Tosh customer service, they sent a local firm out, and clearly by the 2nd visit it was obvious they didn't know a damn thing.. one call to customer services, and they sent someone 120 miles to fix my set, from a known good service engineering firm..

then years ago, I bought a 1/2 price 32MW7DB from curry;'s, it was a managers special, that had been mispriced, they did sell it for half the price, and not unsurprisingly when I switched it on, the tube had gone, I phoned customer services, and they sent it to Bristol for a replacement tube, when it came back, it was badly setup.. I had a nice word with customer services, and they got the company they had used to gice me £50 compensation, an apology from the engineer who did it, and they took the set away to someone that knew what they where doing, as when it came back, it was perfect..

Keep on at customer services, as damage to the set in transit/repair should be covered by the service firms insurance, and if as you mention, the repair is bad, ask for it to be looked at by trusted engineers, or replaced.. ask nicely at first, this usually sorts things out quicker..

4. transwest

transwest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree aboutToshiba’s Customer Care dept.
    So far they have given me as much information that I have asked for, before buying a set !
    In this day & age, it’s getting more unheard of for Companies to give what they call 'PRE' purchase advice ! (I won't use them !)
    One email they didn't reply to though, was some time ago when i forwarded them a complaint from a member on this site about a technical problem. Whilst this was ignored, I assumed it was because it didn't actually apply to me !
    In the end, I probably had over a dozen replies from them with info’ on the Picture Frame models.
    I am hoping to order my ZP48 from JL a.s.a.p now.
    Omega

5. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Thanks for your reply's. I have been onto c/care and after a lot talking I am finally getting one of their own technical people to come out. They are talikng to the agents concerning the repair and damage. I am not very happy with toshiba's c/care because they didn't seem interested and just wanted to pass me back to the repair agents who caused all the problems. Then they said get onto the retailer who sold it to me because it was out of warranty. They know under UK consumer law that a product has to last reasonable amount of time and 5 years would be resonable. I know if I went to court I would win and get a replacement because I have given them the chance to repair the set which they have been unable to do. And can you believe for a area from surrey to right across the southern half of london they only have 1 repair agent. I am absolutely fuming.

6. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    After 2 visits to the repair agent of toshiba it came back with scratches on it and the black bevel around front not fixed on properly. That was the minor problems. After the set came back the first time with a new tube it went back again picture out of focus. Got it back and the repair agent couldn't get away fast enough, the picture was still out of focus.

I complained direct to toshiba who contacted their repair agent who said the set was perfect when it left them. Before the set came back the repair agent told me the set had been checked by a toshiba technical manager and the set was perfect.

I had the technical manager visit me today who saw my set in the workshop. He was not there to check out my set and was asked when it was in teletext mode did it look in focus, which he looked at it and said it looks ok in a splite second. They told me that the technical manager had checked the set as to say he had worked on it.

The technical manager checked out the set and said the new tube was faulty and would need replacing again. He also said the the way the set was treated and the way the black bevel was fitted was poor. I wanted to know why the repair agent didn't pick up on the picture being out of focus and after I complained to the repair agent the first time the set was returned that the picture was out of focus. The toshiba technical manager had no answers. I told him that I had already lost use of the set for 3 weeks and that I didn't want this repair to touch the set again.

I also pointed out to him that the set was not cleaned before return and showed him coffee stain on the top of set which came from the repair agent which I thought was pretty bad. I have now got wait for his report to go into toshiba and wait for them to make a decision. Be it the tube is replaced again or if toshiba will replace the set. Basically they will need to replace 3/4 of the set after the damage the repair agent done to the case. One new tube already, and now another not very good service. I told the repair agent that it would be more cost effective to replace the set than repair it.

I will think twice before I buy another toshiba television, not that it went wrong because that could happen, but because of the poor service I have received. And the fact I had to argue with toshiba to get them to send one of their own technical people to look at the set. They kept on insisting the repair agent would have to look at it again I would have to contact the repair agent again. Fat lot of good that would of done, I would of lost the set for another 3 weeks and I would be going through this process again and again. I couldn't understand why the repair agent didn't put the set on a generator that shows if the the set is out of focus, I assume they haven't got one, well that says it all.

So its wait and see.

7. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The lastest from toshiba is they are going to put another tube in the tv and replace the cabinet. I was hoping they would just replace the whole thing. dam. They are going to get a different company to do the work because I told them that I didn't want videotec from sutton to touch it again. But the good news is they are going to get the new company to order in the spare parts before they collect it from so they should be able to take it and get it back to me quickly. It doesn't sound good does it, first tube blows after 14 months and then the second one is faulty so they having to put another tube in now.

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmmm,i don't like the sound of that! My Sony FS76U had a tube fault(delivery damage) they wanted to fit a new tube,i said no way! I got through THREE FS76U's in 6 months,each one failed,each time they wanted to repair it,i wasn't having any of it,i now have an HQ100 at NO extra cost! If you shout loud enough and stick by your guns you will get what you want. Tell them you have lost all faith in the make and model, you are not willing to accept another repair ect etc.good luck........

9. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    DRGL

I am in a bit of a postion on this one as its out of warranty and I have got toshiba to repair it. If I want a replacement I will have to complain through the retailer and them to toshiba and then will have argue for a replacement and they will say they are intitled to repair it. And the retailer is in bolton, it will be upto me to get it to them. Maybe if the new repairer refuses to do it because I am out of the area then maybe they will replace it.

I might need to check out my legal position on it.

10. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    STICK TO YOUR GUNS MATE.

I have had my tube blow on my PF2 after 10months use. It took the repair
    agency 6wks to diagnose a tube fault (even though I showed them there was no picture), and then Toshiba advised the tube needed replacing.

NO WAY. I want a new PF2 or the latest PF3, and I had a right ding-dong with Toshiba, as the shop would not replace until Toshiba gave the all clear to credit them.

Anyway, after mentioning trading standards and the law, im getting a new Toshiba PF3 in the morning.

Result, but what a nightmare.

Keep on at them , and stick to your rights.

Regards
    Mass

11. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    STICK TO YOUR GUNS MATE.

I have had my tube blow on my PF2 after 10months use. It took the repair
    agency 6wks to diagnose a tube fault (even though I showed them there was no picture), and then Toshiba advised the tube needed replacing.

NO WAY. I want a new PF2 or the latest PF3, and I had a right ding-dong with Toshiba, as the shop would not replace until Toshiba gave the all clear to credit them.

Anyway, after mentioning trading standards and the law, im getting a new Toshiba PF3 in the morning.

Result, but what a nightmare.

Keep on at them , and stick to your rights. :thumbsdow

Regards
    Mass

12. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Thanks for that bboy I will ring the retailer tomorrow and ask them to talk to toshiba.

13. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Here's the latest in this long running saga. I have 2 engineeers coming out on tuesday and they are going to fix the sey in my home. New tube and cabinet installed. I am happy that I wont be losing the set for a week. Hopefully fingers crossed this will be the end of the saga.

14. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Finally an end to the saga.

Had a new tube fitted in my house and the engineers turned it on and went, the picture was not right, kind if misty and blacks weren't deep blacks with a tint towards green. Had another engineer back said he couldn't see the green tint, but checked it and said it was green. I still wasn't happy with the TV and the engineer said the picture is really good and there is nothing wrong with the picture. I contacted toshiba and the technical manager came back today. He said he could see the set was not set up properly and needs adjusting. He spent about hour setting it and now I finally have the TV I bought.

When I told the manager about how these engineers set it up he couldn't believe it. He you can only set up the TV using the generator so they have the coulour and grey scales so youcan adjust the setting properly.

I now have a fantastic picture again.

But be warned the service agents the Toshiba, pansonic ect use don't have a clue how the set up the sets properly or are to lazy to do it right. I had 2 different service agents who couldn't set the TV up properly.

How many people if they weren't persistant like me would be watching a set where the picture is completely out. Most people would take the engineeers word for it that it had been repaired and there is nothing wrong with the TV.

The first agent failed to spot the new tube wouldn't focus, so was faulty.

I am happy with the TV now.