1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba&Panny plasma wall bracket

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by matt janes, Aug 15, 2002.

1. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got the Unicoll (fixed) wall bracket for either Tosh or Panny plasma? I've heard it isn't a great fit compared to official one or is this just retailer talk?

Also anyone know where to get a JST RGB to VCA in 24 hours since they don't accept credit cards at JST?

Many thanks

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the unicoll bracket for the toshiba and mine fits very well its very well made and strong
    as for the js tech box i received mine before the cheque was cashed about 2 days after i sent it fast service
    but i know its horrible to wait

3. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks jmack. Going to plum for the Unicoll and save myself a couple of hundred quid!

Hope you're enjoying plasma life!

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I had to give up with the Unicol bracket for my Pansonic. It's wasn't that the bracket didn't look any good, but the plasterboard walls of these new(er) houses don't hold as much weight as I thought! The thought of £4k worth of plasma hitting the deck doesn't bare thinking about!

Had to change it for a pedestal stand in the end. Still looks the business though.

5. markbuffyfan

markbuffyfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all I have just bought a panny ,Please explain what the RGB VGA box is for , fo i need one and if so who is the supplier.

thanx

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have a toshiba same as panny
    the RGB box is a little black box that allows you to plug in RGB scart then converts it in to VGA out
    there proberly alot more to it than that but thats what mine does.
    i have my ntl digital box pluged in to mine and the picture is really good.
    and because it uses the VGA in on the plasma it free`s the other imputs .
    i think the only place to get one is where there made from js tech
    www.rgbtosvideo.com
    they also do a rgb to s-video
    rgb to vga
    and soon rgb to component

ps. it do use a power socket though

7. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found out yesterday that (some) Sevenoaks hifi stock JST RGB to VGA. Only in small numbers though. Watford or Chelsea may be your best bet.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    tman

Just for your info, and I guess it may be too late by now, where you have a plaster board on studs affixed to a brick, or other, hidden solid structure then Unicol do supply a model that can be affixed to the hidden solid structure and using a scissors action you can bridge the gap to the front face of the plasterboard and then 'fix' your plasma panel to the plasterboard without the plaster board actually carrying any of the weight.

Regards

Joe

9. greyt

greyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That wall mount sounds quite interesting. I have just finished mounting a Panasonic 42" plasma above my fireplace. I used the Unicol tilting wallmount.

I found out that the plasterboard was mounted onto Thermalite (also called Aircrete) blocks using some kind of glue. I ended up cutting the plasterboard away, mounting 10mm MDF to the Thermalite and then mounting the bracket to the MDF.

I had gret fun trying to find something that will work in Thermalite, since expanding wall bolts will shatter the blocks. Also since they are meant to be for insulation only they have very little strength.

Anyway the job is done, I have photos of the bolts, tools and finished job if anyone wants more info at any time.

Graham

10. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would like to see some finished pics above fire place please
    as i might do this in future?
    thanks

11. greyt

greyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jmack,

Here is a picture as requested. I just have to run the cable to the centre speaker properly. I will email you a decent quality piccy if you want to see anything more clearly.

The Unicol tilting wall bracket is ideal for this kind of mounting. The TV is angled slightly downwards. I was slightly worried that it may look strange doing this, but the appearance is fine.

Graham

Attached Files:

12. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do find watching a movie or something at this height when sitting down?
    any problems with ceiling lights reflecting on to screen?
    looks very neat, well done the panell looks very flush to the wall any side photo`s

13. greyt

greyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is early days yet, but at the moment I have no problem watching the TV at this height. So that you get some perspective, the top of the TV is 190cm from the floor. My sitting position is around 300cm from the screen.

I have not had any reflection problems at all from either daylight or ceiling / side lights.

I have attached a side photo.

Graham

Attached Files:

14. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks great cheers
    i love looking at other people`s setup when my mate brings his camera over i will post mine
    i have no fire place mine is flat mounted on the wall the directly under it i have one ove those radiator cover with the fret work to cover and hide the cabling and center speaker
    everone who see`s thinks its just sitting on top of the rad cover

toshiba 42
    aego 5 + prosesser
    ntl box
    lecson 1000 dvd

15. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    GreyT
    Your living room looks similar to mine, and I also have a fire place like yours that I considered mounting my Plasma above.
    I do wonder though if anyone knows if the heat from the fire place causes any problems for the Plasma screen?

16. greyt

greyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norman,

I have seen this question asked a few times on various forums. The general consensus appeared to be that it wouldn't be a problem. I suppose it makes sense that the fires should be designed to direct its heat into the room and not just immediately above. However I do not intend to be using the fire just in case. I probably used it twice a year, so I will not miss it anyway :)

If I get really sad I may use a digital thermometer with the fire on and take readings close to the Plasma.

Graham