Toshiba or Sony Purchase - opinion please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tfraser, Mar 17, 2001.

1. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am needing help in deciding between the Toshiba 500E and the Sony DVPS7700.

I think I'm right in saying that the Sony is by far the older model. It can be purchased for about £600.

The Toshiba is newer and cheaper at £500 and has the 540 lines resolution that everyone is raving about.

What should I do?

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the Toshiba!!!!

IMHO, The Sony brand is popular but they use cheap parts. Everything i have bought Sony has gone wrong after a while. The only thing i give them credit for is their TV's.

Other than that. Dont Go Sony.

3. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a lot of the replies here will be opinions rather than hard facts. I have a sony 850 (200 disc machine) and I am still very pleased and I have had it over a year.

Do you need a multiregion version? Do you want to play CDRs on it (either video cds or audio). If so I know my Sony will not read most of these discs (I don't know about the tosh).

Do you think you may need DVD-A in the future?

I see richer sounds and other retailers are knocking out multi region Sony 850s for just under £400 these days.

Choices choices eh

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Toshiba, no question. Would the 9000 do? Cheaper, better than 500 as long as Scart / SVS Audio not an issue.

For the record I don't own a Toshiba but think they are making some of the best player on the market.

5. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the responses so far. It's looking Toshiba all the way.

I must find out more about the 9000 mentioned. I hadn't heard of that model no. Is it one of the new models?

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    No. Quite the oposite. It was the premium old model, pre the 900. Orinally £800 R2, now £400 multo region but the quality was excellent. It is beautifully built and looks a million dollars. It has no scart RGB but the component and S-Video are gorgous....

I can't understand why it is not more popular at this price, I guess people are after the latest and not the quality solution. A Rolls Royce / Ferrari / Porche (substitute what ever) from 1999 is still a desirable car despite the age.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my own experiences with Sony I would tend to agree with Gareth.I bought the 725 dvd which despite having absolutely first class picture and sound quality has a tendancy to have lip sync problems which I did not expect froma player of this calibre.Also purchased Sony Strd 940 receiver (which was excellent sound wise)but I found a hissing noise through my speakers which I did not have on the previous budget Yamaha amp.Maybe I could have been unlucky to get a bad batch which I accept.However at this price level I will find it difficult to go back to the Sony brand name on these specific items of equipment.

MARTINC