1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba or sony?? It was tough but Sony Won!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by toonman, Aug 24, 2005.

1. toonman

toonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for an mp3 player for a while and knew that I didnt want an ipod ( Can't stand apple anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I have been lurking on here reading everyones posts and it was really down to the toshiba or the sony HD5. In fact, it almost became the toshiba as it was only 50 dollars aussie more for a 60 gig model and that was a little tempting but not being able to rip gapless was an issue for me as I luv me mixed music. I had aprehensions about buying the sony as there is a lot of negative press about atrac and ss. Well, after deciding on the sony I am soooooooooo glad I did. Quite honestly I really like atrac...the sound at lower bitrates is very good and am luving the ease of ss. I am not sure what you were all going on about...Sure, its not great and sony really should have come up with better software but its still dead easy to use and I havent had one problem with it.

Just so you aussies know, the volume issue is not an issue here. It is not limited and you can actually just choose the volume safety thingy in the options if you are worried about your hearing.

Happy consumer?? Most definately......fantastic sound with non stock headphones and its very user friendly. I do believe it is the ipod killer!!!!!

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good to hear a satisfied customer, I love my HD5 too. And I'm not especially brand loyal to Sony, I've owned all sorts of other kit in the past but I do think Sony has a little something above the others, especially with battery technology.

I wasn't even aware the HD5 existed till I saw one in a shop, and I thought 20gb, in that tiny little box! No way dude!

And now I am really happy. There are a few issues I'm sure you will encounter, but nothing too major.

Enjoy!