Toshiba or Philips 32" w/s ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Beddie, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have narrowed my choice of new TV down to:

Toshiba 32Z17B

Philips 32PW6515C

They both have good pictures and sound, but the Tosh has 1 more scart socket than the Philips, and has a nice flat top for a centre speaker. However the Philips has a better remote control, more picture modes and is more striking visually.

As they are about the same price I am having difficulty deciding. So please share your experiences of both makes and/or models, including reliability, geometry issues etc.

:confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beddie

See reply under "What Now?!?"

Cheers
    OG

3. NGoodman

NGoodman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Toshiba 32Z17B for just over a week now and here are my thoughts:

The left-hand side of a 4:3 picture curves ) noticeably.

There's a bright spot in the middle of the screen, with a very slight circular shadow surrounding this, although it's only noticeable on a blank (blue) screen. It's not noticeable when there's a picture.

The TV's sound is OK, although I've got separate amp/speakers so I don't listen to it that much.

It's got 3 scarts which is a big plus if you've got a DVD player, a Sky Digital box and VCR. It's also got component video input - although if you use this you can't use one of the scarts.

The picture is great from Sky digital and absolutely superb from DVD.

Overall, I'd say this is a superb value for money TV (QED sell it for £330 less than on the high street). There are better TV's, but you'll have to pay considerably more for them.

4. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for your replies - any more feedback welcome !