Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba, or not Toshiba?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by David Burns, Oct 19, 2004.

1. David Burns

David Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a DVD/VCR combi (non recordable DVD), and I think i'm settling on a Toshiba SD-33VB (or is it SV-34VB now?).

Is this wise? :confused:

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not know this for certain but I've heard some stories of poor reliability on tosh VCR's so do some checking around this forum before you decide to get it. I've read reviews (one was in what hi-fi I think) that say the SD-33VB combi is probably the best of the bunch, but that VCR replay was hardly inspiring. Mindy you none of the ones tested had good VCR replay either.

Personally I don't like the idea of combi's. I'd rather have the separates because the combi's do compromise DVD replay. Get an SD 340 and an S-VHS VCR. JVC had some good ones out there not so long ago.

3. David Burns

David Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm...

What about the Sony slv-d950, any better?

This was my other choice, but was losing out on cost.

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're all built down to a price, so the same applies really, although Sony as far as I know still build their own VCR transports, correct me if I'm wrong on this. If that is the case they used to be solid and reliable.

My advice is get the two separate because the all-in-one box solution is a compromise.