Toshiba - One corner out of focus

shovels

Standard Member
I've got a 42" Toshiba rear projection TV. I'm using it with my HTPC until I can get a replacement LCD, but would really like to adjust the focusing problem.

The majority of the picture is fairly well focused, but the bottom right corner is quiet badley out of focus.

Does anyone know how to adjust the focusing?

I know it's possible becuase I had an engineer come out once when it was under warranty, but it's since gone again after moving house.

Thanks.

scooby do

Is it focus or convergence. The two are closely related and interact with one another and do go hand in hand. I very much doubt an engineer on-site would know how to focus the TV properly unless he truly is passionate about AV. Think of focus as how thick the lines are from each gun. Convergence is quite different this is how the lines converge to one point. Focus is always done first unless focus is acceptable. This is achieved using fishing line tied to each CRT and passed through the side of the cabinet. Look for the excellent guide by Demon. It is not difficult and will give you satisfaction that the job has been done properly. Start with convergence just so you get used to how to do this. Then if you are happy with the result leave focus alone. If you do focus then convergence will most definately require doing again.

shovels

Standard Member
Thanks!

I did a search and found the post. Spent about 3/4 hour adjusting it and it's much better now :D

scooby do

So was it focus or convergence? If convergence I take it you let the TV warm up for at least an hour. Do not be tempted to adjust when the set hasn't warmed up, temperatures need to stabilise as do voltages before any adjustments are made otherwise it will be out of skew

shovels

Standard Member
So was it focus or convergence? If convergence I take it you let the TV warm up for at least an hour. Do not be tempted to adjust when the set hasn't warmed up, temperatures need to stabilise as do voltages before any adjustments are made otherwise it will be out of skew
I only adjusted the convergance. It's not perfect, but it's so much better now. I've been using the screen with my HTPC and it's been a nightmare reading forums as most of the text has been out of focus. Now I can read them easily.

And yep, the set had been on for at least 2 hours.

My friend has a thompson set, does anyone know how to get into the service menu on that. He's got similar problems (but far worse - something to do with him putting his foot through the front of it)

scooby do - thanks again for your help :thumbs:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom