Toshiba Noise problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fredmeister, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Fredmeister

Fredmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with a high pitched noise coming from my Toshiba XS 32 when I start her up. This eventually disappears after about 10-15 mins, any idea what it could be?

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be its fan going on the blink. Otherwise, im not sure.
    Mine whines when i switch it on - i've always assumed it was the sound of the HDD spinning up - but it stops after a few moments.
    Long-winded high-pitched noises are rarely good news tho....
    How well is the machine working in general? If not sure, best get it checked out....

3. Fredmeister

Fredmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Machine works fine apart from the noise, which is very very loud at times, and then it disappears. You are proably correct in assuming its the fan....best get it checked out with RGB

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nyet problemski.
    I imagine the fans used in XS32s are pretty cheap - like those in PC cases, lubrication can dry out or bearings can become worn, leading to all sorts of unbearable other-worldly noises.
    Half the problem would be sorted if manufacturers made less-restricive fan holes in their equipment. The XS32s is a particularly bad example of design - most of the initial noise they create is from air having to be forced thru the small holes in the back of the machine - if it used a standard issue pc-style grill, then the machine would be quieter and the fan wouldnt have to work so hard, hopefully extending it's life....

As you can see, faulty fans are the bane of my existence - as soon as my XS32 is out of warranty i will be seeing what i can do to mod the fan grill on the back....