1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba MT700 Vs TOSHIBA 32WL56 Vs BenQ 7700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spikerules, Jul 7, 2005.

1. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi new to the forum!

Just like to say that this seems like a nice place to chat about geeky things and I can't wait for people to reply to this:)

Anyway's on to the serious stuff. I'm VERY VERY new to the home projector market and would like to know what TV/Proj would suite me. ATM I have a Philips 30PF9975 and would like to upgrade it for a HD Ready TV/Proj. Here are some of the things I'm looking for: -

1) Short throw distance! Going to use it on my bedroom wall
    2) Do I need to buy a screen or will a wall surfice and do I need the room dark at all times?
    3) Good quality HD Ready for around £1,000 - £2,000
    4) Artefacts annoy me and I would like to know what the DLP rainbow artefact would seem like to me

Not too many things that I'm worried about, but the main point would have to be whether I would prefer LCD over DLP projectors or just go for the Tosh 32LW56 LCD TV that seems to have got very decent reviews for the price! Around £800 I hear in some places!

Thanks in advance for the replies. If I get any;)

2. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh sorry for the double post, but if any other projectors come to mind please post them. I don't want people to think that I'm Toshiba fanboy! I would also like to know whether it would be good value for money seeing as though I will have my computer connected to it all the time (which I use very often) and if the continued price of the bulbs might get me!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Worth looking at the Sony HS50.

Smooth, flat, white wall will be OK to start with.

When you say short throw, how short are you talking about?

...PJ :)

4. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 feet would be ideal:)

5. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Toshiba is virtually the same as the Benq, except it has a Faroudja scaler and slightly more in-depth menus. Benq apparently make it then Toshiba personalise it slightly. There's not supposed to be an awful lot of difference in the image.

Go here to check out throws: http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-PE7700-projection-calculator-pro.htm

(You'll get a screen diagonal of between 77" and 104" at 10'.)

and www.projectorcentral.com to check out a review of the Benq.

So to answer your questions:

1) See above.
    2) A flat matt white wall will do, but it would improve if you painted it with screen goo. Some claim that an image isn't improved much with a screen, but then that depends on how much you want to pay for a screen! The black border of a screen improves the image. The image of any projector will benefit from blackout cinema conditions.
    3) Benq PE7700/ Toshiba MT700 for DLP, as you've already worked out.
    4) Rainbow effect: you'll really have to see for yourself by viewing some. The speed of the colour wheels in the above should reduce the chance of RBE being a problem.

Can't see anyone on this forum recommending the 32" LCD over a projector!

Oh and read this forum and www.avsforum.com - there's loads of info and opinions floating about.

Squibbly.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You'll be able to do some serious damage with that...

mmm let me think...

32" LCD TV

vs

80"+ PJ pic

I'll leave you to decide...PJ :)

7. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thanks guys! Seems as though the projector is the best choice then:)

Just one more question... well two really

Whats "screen goo" is it a type of paint? And how much for a reasonable screen?
    Thanks for the replies!

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Screen Goo is a type of paint, it ain't cheap though. Look at postings by the MMUD man on the projector screen forum for some cheaper alternatives.

Screens start from sub £50 DIY jobs rising to more then the PJ costs itself.

DIY - painted MDF, or blackout cloth stretched over a frame, also look for foamex. Loadsa firms do pull down / fixed screens - some really nice ones, others I'm sure can advise on best option. May be best to post on the projector screen forum...PJ :)

9. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok looks like i'm getting the tosh, but where can I buy in the UK?
    Also how long is the bulb life???

Also I know that this is a DLP/LCD proj forum, but what do you guys think of CRT projectors? I hear they are of better quality than both DLP/LCD and do not suffer from the artefacts associated with those two technologies.

10. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The cheapest I've seen the Tosh is at www.pixmania.com, but why not get the Benq? It's £200 cheaper at www.ivojo.co.uk - one of this site's sponsors. That's the one I'm gonna buy unless there's a serious shift in prices in the next month or so.

CRT is supposed to have a better picture, but is huge and heavy, has to recalibrated regularly, and is generally a more unwieldy beast. DLP/LCD projectors are relatively hassle free in comparison.

I've been looking at screens too. www.ellie.co.uk and www.beamaxed.co.uk
    seem the most reasonable for the fixed frame type I like.

Also, if you are opting for a projector, make sure that it can be accommodated within the physical restrictions of your room. The Tosh and Benq have zero offset, which means that the centre of the lens will be in line with the top or the bottom of your screen.

Squibbly

11. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks you've been a real help! I was thinking about putting the proj above my window at the top of the wall just below the ceiling.

Also, I thought the BenQ was not as good as the tosh and toshiba add their own something somthing to the projector to make it better than the BenQ?

I'm also looking to pay monthly on interest free credit and I doubt those sites can offer this:)

12. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The tosh and benq are nearly identical. The tosh appears to have a faroudja scaler (to up the resolution from 570 lines (PAL resolution) to 720 lines (Hi-Def) which is the most oft-mentioned of scalers. The scaler in the Benq is supposed to be pretty good too - it also has its own Senseye technology. The tosh has a more in-depth menu, but unless you're a videophile you'll have everything you need in the Benq. By all accounts there's not a lot in it image-wise. Why not get a bank loan and buy the benq?! The interest over a year should be less than the difference (far be it from me to encourage people into credit though :lesson: )

Your suggested mounting of the projector sounds a little high. Remember, the top of your image will be at the same height as the centre of your lens. If you tip the projector down the image will not be a perfect rectangle, and you'll have to use keystone correction (supposedly quite good in the benq) to bring it back. This could produce unwanted artefacts in the image.

The only weakness I've read on the benq is the deinterlacer, but if you're sending a progressive signal over HDMI from your DVD player you'll bypass this.

Let us know how you get on. Looks like you'll be buying one before me!

Squibbly

13. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Spikerules,

I am sure you will not go far wrong with either projector. The major difference between the two is that the Toshiba uses Faroudja DCDi De-Interlacer as opposed to the Benq that uses its own. Whether it is worth paying a couple of hundred pounds extra for the Toshiba with Faroudja is down to you.

Also take into consideration which DVD player you are going to use it may already have a Faroudja built in.

Having not seen either I do not want to point you towards which one to pick.

However you could use the savings with the Benq projector to finance your screen.

Also you can get the Benq with the offer of buy now and don't pay until April 2006.

Hope this helps.

Foghorn

14. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow where can I find that offer!! Sounds good to me!

PS Thanks Squibbly. You've been a real help!

15. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  16. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    BenQ does support hdmi

Click on a keyword for help.
    Category Home Cinema Projectors
    System DLP
    Resolution Video (1280*720)
    ANSI Lumens 1100
    (880 in eco mode)
    Contrast 2500:1
    Lamp 250W , 2000hrs.(typical)
    Lens F=2.4 - 2.8 f=23.98 - 32.4mm
    Interchangeable No
    Image Size 37" - 300" diagonal
    Throw Distance 1.18m - 12.96m
    Keystone Yes
    Computers VGA, SVGA, XGA
    Video PAL, SECAM, NTSC
    Horizontal Freq. 15-75kHz
    Vertical Freq. 50-100Hz
    Computer Inputs RGB BNC*3
    Video Inputs HDMI
    Composite
    S-video
    Component
    HDTV 480i/p, 576i/p 720p, 1080i
    Audio
    Remote Yes
    Noise 29db.
    (26 Eco mode)
    Dimensions 380mm(W) * 115mm(H) * 300mm(D)
    Weight 5.5kg
    Power Supply 100-240V AC, 50 - 60Hz
    Power Consumption 320watts
    Warranty 1st Year Loan Support, 2&3 RTB (90 Days on lamp)
    Accessories User Manual
    Remote Control
    Warranty Info Booklet
    Video Cable
    S-video Cable
    VGA>BNC x 3 Cable
    Power Cord

18. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry mate I realised that after I checked the specs:)