1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba MT5 price

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by robocop, Aug 4, 2002.

1. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm looking to buy a Toshiba MT5 in the near future.
    the best price I have seen so far is £2712 inc VAT and delivery,from Robert Whyte Ltd.
    Has anyone seen a better deal available ?

Thanks

2. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Slightly OT- not really about the price but the PJ itself.

I have shopped around and that was the best price I saw - for example Av-sales are selling at £3458 inc vat !

I have seen a number of good reviews of this projector especially when badged as the Infocus LS110. The Infocus won many awards at £4000+ RRP - a price of <£2800 for the Toshiba is very tempting.

I have not seen one in operation yet. I have seen the Panasonic AE100 - How does it compare ?

It is still twice the price of the Panasonic. If it is significantly better then I will go for it. £3000 is within my budget but I don`t want to spend that amount for the sake of it.

The PJ will be used in a separate room for DVD, Sky+ and possibly PS2.

Anybody have the Toshiba MT5 / Infocus LS110 ?
    How does it compare to Panasonic Ae100 ?

Thanks

Karl

3. Griggsy

Griggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Karl

Having had the Toshiba MT5 now for about three months I can say that I am really pleased with the performance.

Good points are low fan noise, good colours, connectivity.

Bad points, I did see the dreaded DLP rainbow effect at first but I found after about a week or so of viewing I hardly seem to notice it now.

Picture quality especially viewing R1 DVD with Component Video/Progressive Scan is really exellent with a very smooth film like picture.

Even using a PS2 with a standard composite cable gave a surprisingly good picture.

Not sure though if the MT5 is worth twice the amount of the Panny, I've heard that for the price it is a great projector but i've not seen one in action.

Maybe you could get a demo of the two somewhere ?

Hope this may be of some use.

Regards,

4. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - Any other experiences ?

I live in Coventry - Anybody know of a dealer that would demo MT-5 & Panny in the West Mids/Warwickshire area ?

5. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent an Email to Toshiba UK and within 3 weeks got a reply saying where do you want us to send the MT5. It's going to my local Sevenoaks and today is the day I demo. I'll let you know what I thought if anyone is interested??

6. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to wait for now as I was talking to someone today who said he just seen a new 2nd generation DLP from Tosh called MT8/9, which he says was awesome!

Stay tuned...

7. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you demo the MT5 at Sevenoaks ?

Which branch was it ? If they are keeping it for a while I will try and arrange a demo.

Thanks.

8. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was Sevenoaks in Manchester. They have it until the middle of next week and I thought it was magic. It's the first DLP I have looked at and really didn't know what to expect with the dreaded rainbows. I took 2 other guys from work just to see if it affected them. We all agreed after about 45 mins watching bits from Shrek, Driven & The fast and the Furious that this machine was bright, Good blacks, very detailed. Infact the only lines I saw were on Burt Reynolds face even after surgery. Spoke with Robert Whyte last night and they have them in stock.

There was light leakeage from this unit but it didn't affect anything even when the room wasn't blacked out.

All I can say is that's it's certainly at the top of my list.

It may be a couple of months before I buy and if an MT8/9 can beat this then even better.:cool:

If Griggsy is reading - What distance do you have the projector from the screen and what size image do you have. Just asking as I can go upto 13-14ft but would prefer to be around 8ft on the other side of a steel RSJ that runs across the garage. Hoping for a 6.6ft 16:9 image.

9. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WVRoss

Are you saying that you didn't see any rainbow effect at all or that after 45 mins they disappeared?

10. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing at all. I kept expecting something to happen but could have stayed there all day.

11. Griggsy

Griggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    wvoss,

Glad you enjoyed your demo!

To answer your question, my pj is located at the back of the room. Distance from projector to screen is about 13ft. I currently project onto a Da-Lite 8ft diag. 16:9 matte white screen.

I reckon though that from 8ft out you should be able to get a 6.6ft screen in quite nicely.

One of the plus points I took into account when buying the MT5 was the long(ish) throw distance as I wasn't too keen on the hassle of ceiling mounting.

Regards,

12. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wvoss I`ll try to get to Manchester to see it.

There is also a Sevenoaks in Leicester - I could see if they would arrange a demo. How much were they selling it for ? I have seen the MT-5 for £2679.99 (+£32 delivery) - at http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/shop2/vidpro/tos_MT5.htm

However, if a dealer arranges a demo I would like to give them the business - unless it is lots more.

Thanks

Karl

13. wvoss

wvoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karl,

Sevenoaks were doing it for around £3700. Their acting manager told me that the MT5 hadn't been released to Sevenoaks yet for sale (Seems Odd:confused: ).

To be honest you don't really seem to see this unit in many shops at all. Plenty on Mail order.

I have been thinking about taking the wife to Glasgow for the weekend if Robert Whyte have them in stock but as the warranty on them is 12 months is it a grey import??? Sounds like it to me. Thought you would need as many years as poss on this kind of kit!!!....

I've also seen it a nomatica.com for £2845. Not checked yet to see if it's an import .........:)