Toshiba MT5 and InFocus LS110

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pip_UK, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read an interesting review from a home theatre novice who was fortunate enough to compare the LS110 side by side with the Sharp 9000.

The Sharp 9000 produced only a marginally better viewable picture at nearly twice the price of the PL110. What was even more disturbing was LS110 had a composite feed and the Sharp a component feed.

I am buying the MT5 in a couple of weeks when I move and as the LS110 is a clone of this projector ... I feel reassured I am getting a good quality projector.

I have seen the SIM HT200 DM and did not get any rainbow effect and liked the picture (although dim in ambient light). The Tosh has better specs than the SIM2 and is nearly half the price. The LS110 also produced a better picture than the Sanyo PLV60 in another review.

As a home theatre novice myself it was nice to see this review. I was amazed at the sound quality of the new tv I bought my mother which I connected to the stereo via scart ... something most audiophiles would baulk at.

Pip

2. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your over estimating the price of the sharp 9000.
    I paid £5,200 for mine at sharsonic's Totenham court Rd and I must say it far exceeds the performance of the SIM2 HT200DM SVGA (848 x 480) that I borrowed for the weekend.
    The sharp's SXGA (1280 X 720) res gives a far smoother image which looks more natural and CRT like. When I last looked the MT5 was being offered for around £3,760 inc.
    For the extra £1400 your getting a far higher res and better blacks as the sharp uses TI's latest chip.

Kevin

4. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this technophobe ....

I did contemplate the Sharp but read a lot of reviews advising that SXGA is only a necessity with screens widths over 2.3 metres.

I also need a projector that I dont have to sit in complete darkness with.

I read a recent review on Projector Central which says if you watch mainly DVD movies and television, resolution is not much of a factor as these sources have only 480 lines of active video information in them to begin with.

Dabs are selling the MT5 for £3200 as compared to £5600 for the SIm2 HT200DM (cheapest price I could find).

The £2400 I will save is going towards my Panasonic 42" plasma for the bedroom :p

Pip

5. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pip_UK, I use a svga projector and can confirm, using a 2.5m wide screen I can see absulutely no pixels or line structure.

I can imagine that with xga the picture is enhanced somewhat, but to be honest I can't find fault with what I have. This sounds like a classic case of "I want better rather than I need it" (i.e. svga vs xga)