Toshiba MT3 with a PC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Projector: Toshiba MT3 (LCD)

PC:

PIII 600
    256 RAM
    Raedon VE Graphics
    Fortissimo sound card (optical out)
    Pioneer 116 DVD multiregion (I think that it is the tray version of the 106s…it seems to have the same specification)
    Windows ME
    PowerDVD Version 3
    WinDVD Version 3

DVD Players: Pioneer 717 and Samsung 709

I’m not an expert so I would suggest that this is not to taken as gospel, its just my very humble opinion.

Using the MT3 with the Pioneer and Samsung DVD players produces a good picture. It shows good detail, beautiful colours and acceptable enough contrast for an LCD projector. However it did show a very annoying vertical banding (see scene in R1 U571 where they are on deck the morning after the night before when the plane appears or opening scenes of R2 Cliffhanger) This is particularly evident on backgrounds or smokey/foggy scenes. Also faces or other objects not fully in the foreground looked fuzzy even though when viewed on TV they were in perfect focus.

I tried the Iscan Pro with the MT3 and Samsung DVD player using component in on the PJ. When I did manage to get it working there was no great improvement and the picture was slightly stretched vertically even with 16:9 mode switched on. The vertical banding was actually worse with the Iscan Pro.

So I built the PC last Sunday (with much greatfully accepted knowledge gained from this Forum). My big worry was that there is no 16:9 mode when using RGB in through the VGA connection on the MT3. Because of this I was afraid that I would loose a lot of resolution on annamorphic DVDs. I was also worried about tearing, not just at 72Hz and 75Hz refresh rates but even at 60Hz based on other posts regarding the MT1 and MT7.

Last night I got a chance to view various DVDs over a four-hour period and the picture is much improved, in fact, I was thrilled. I have never seen a CRT in action so I can’t make a comparison but beside my 50Hz 32” Sony TV it looked great, and that’s certainly good enough for me. The vertical banding is practically gone, the amount of digital noise is greatly reduced (I was actually able to watch Star Wars) and the detail is better than with the Pioneer and Samsung DVD players using 16:9 mode on the PJ. There was a huge improvement on non-annamorphic material which I could not watch using the DVD players with the PJ. The fuzzyness in objects not quite in the foreground was also gone.

There was no tearing when viewing at 60Hz but a slight pan shudder was sometimes evident (particularly with WinDVD). But what happened when I changed the refresh rate to 72Hz and 75Hz, could I see tearing? In the four hours of viewing on four occasions I saw a horizontal line flash across the screen. If I had not been looking for it I would have missed it, I not even sure if what I saw was tearing.

I found WinDVD had better bass but tended to shudder (split second pausing) much more that PowerDVD. PowerDVD had a slightly less aggressive bass but very little shuddering. I thought that 5 channel separation was slightly better on Power DVD also (but that may have just been my imagination)

The picture quality using the Samsung and Pioneer DVD players was just not good enough for my liking but with the improvement using the PC, well I think that I have finally arrived (I wonder how long that will last)

I hope that this is helpful to anyone thinking of looking at the MT3, but again I say its just my humble opinion, don’t take it as gospel. :blush:

Conor

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Despite the claim to have a fan noise of 32db I found the fan noise quite distracting. Check out the picture to see my solution.

Conor

Attached Files:

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    If you want to see an even bigger improvement in your Tosh picture chuck out win dvd and power dvd and get the ATI player 4.1 with an ATI card (Radeon etc) the difference in picture and sound quality is remarkable.
    The down side is the player can be a little flakey sometimes but
    IMHO its more than worth it.
    check out AVS forums .com for loads of info

I run a Tosh MT1 on an ATI HTPC its superb , the vertical bands you talk of affect the Mt1 as well but with the HTPC & ATI player combo it is practically non existent

also use dvd genie as well

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Coner, Nice PJ bracket, wheres it from?

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

Tim

I got the bracket with the projector from W2FM. It was about £200 but it is very versatile.

I will check out the name of the company who supplied them with the bracket tonight

Conor

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Spacecat

You may be sorry that u answered my post when u see all the questions that I hare for you.

1) I have ATI player 4.13 but when I tried it the picture was stretched vertically like an annamorphic image that has not been squashed to it's propper aspect ratio. Putting in or removing a check from beside "Aspect Ratio" disn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas?

2) Have u tried using Powerstrip to change the refresh rates to 72Hz for NTSC and 75Hz for Pal to reduce panning judder. When I change the refresh rate it seems to make absolutely no difference at all. However when I press the "Call" button on the PJ remote the signal is showing as SVGA60. Does this mean that the refresh rate on the PJ is 60 even though I have changed it in Powerstrip. Perhaps u could try the same on the MT1 and see if the signal that your PJ is receiving is say SVGA72 or SVGA75.

3) Have you had any problem with tearing? Since posting the above I have noticed a little tearing but it really doesn't bother me. Certainly not as much as the judder and I guess I could even live with that if I had to.

The improvement in picture quality using the HCPC really is amazing despite the fact that we get no benifit from the extra resolution of annamorphic DVDs.

Thanks

Conor

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    i set my projector up as follows

1.i use the latest ati player in conjunction with dvd genie

2.i do not use the remote to set up any screen sizes just whatever comes directly from the dvd itself(this will lead to 2 overscan bars which you can block out if you want

3.i set up the projector as a monitor in windows and set the resolution and refresh rate there.

4. i dont get any judders and no artifacts, i have used 72hz and 75 hz but to be honest cant see much difference

the picture using the ATI player was very much better than windvd and the sound also.ps make sure the sound setting is correct in dvd genie

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Spacecat

I can't get sound from the ATI player. There seems to be nowhere to setup the audio either in the ATI software itsetf or in the control panel. I really hope that I can get this to work as the picture quality is definately better with this player.

Conor

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Just a quick tip:-

When using a HTPC and you want to run higher than 60hz, then you must "change" your "monitor" from default or "plug and play" in windows.

Do not let search for one, goto select your own etc.

Select one of the high end Iiyamas or Sonys etc.

This will allow windows to change the fresh rate etc.

If you then select the Call button it will then show your true refresh rate 72/75hz etc

10. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    Use the DVD genie not the ATI player to run the ATI player
    go to the set up screen and look for your card.

If you must use the ATI player (not recommended) right click on the screen this should bring up the options screen from which you can find the sound option.I personally use a creative
    5.1 live player.The sound when you have it sorted is much beter than win dvd also

im a bit knackered hence the lack of detail if you still have probs leave another message and I will expalin more clearly

11. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    If you want to get the best source of info for the ATI player
    go to AVSForum.com theres enough info on it to keep you reading for about a month

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have tried what Fulabeer suggested (change monitor) to change the refresh rate before but for some reason it only worked last night. I was able to change the refresh rate to 75Hz and 72Hz.

Am I happy? Well it definately did reduce the judder but, yes, now I do have tearing. Now I just have to decide which bothers me more: Tearing or Judder. The thing about tearing is that it's gone off the screen before you almost have time to register it but with judder when it occurs on a long panning shot you just know that you have to sit through it for what sems like an eternity.

R0ne purchased a "gismo" that allows a PC to output component, perhaps that's something to look into. I changed the signat to component in on the PJ last night and obviously the colour was all screwed up but there didn't seem to be any judder or tearing. The strange thing is though, that although I was using a Pal disk the PJ was outputting 480p,..is that right?

Anyway, for anyone considering an MT3 with a PC, what I said above regarding tearing is not true. There is tearing on the MT3 when the refresh rate is changed...however I think it's a little easier to put up with than judder.

Conor

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Conor, just a quickie.
    I sure i read somewhere on the forum that the Toshibas won't take a Pal progressive input ie 525p(576p). Only 480p(NTSC), so thats why your PJ may show 480p with pal discs. But i could be wrong etc, but i think thats why everbody was selling their Iscan pros.

I say again, i not sure on this one!