1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba MT3 and Iscan Pro

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Just received my iscan pro yesterday to use with the Tosh MT3. It's a disaster!!!
    My big disappointment is that my pj does not have a 16:9 widescreen mode with the RGB (15 pin computer) input despite the fact that a technician at Toshiba told me that it has. So if I want to watch movies (annamorpic)
    through the iscan, I must set my DVD to 4:3, effectively loosing the extra respolution gained with annamorphic. My DVD is the Samsung 709, it only has composite and s-video out. I'm using s-video from the DVD to iscan and 15 pin vga to 15 pin vga to from the iscan to the pj. The picture is worse that without the iscan. Is there any way to get an s-video out from the iscan into the projector.

Conor

(Note: This is my work logon name, at home I'm cg999)

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    RGB in on the projector is always 4:3, I don't know why the tosh man told you this.

Switch the projector to component in and the Iscan to component out. The projector will then take the signal as you wish. (or should do) if its like the mt1 and mt7.

The vga takes both component and rgb to the projectors.

And I believe the Iscan can take your S-video, component or composite and transcode it to RGB or Y, Y-u, Y-v.

Let me know how you get on. ;)

But do bear in mind that the mt range only deal with 480p so you can't get pal progressive from the Iscan into the mt, which has been my personal frustration.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: ROne ]

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks 4 the reply R0ne

If I had known that I could not use the iscan with 16:9 mode on the pj, I would not have bought it, that's why I telephoned Toshiba. I wanted to be absolutely sure, obviously there is no such thing as "absolutely sure". And you are also telling me that the iscan is of no benifit to me when watching region 2 disks...the news just keeps getting worse.

I did try setting up the pj and iscan as u described but with a region 2 disk...the picture was dreadful, very unstable with alot of noise. But, wait, it just gets even better, my DVD seems to convert ntsc to pal as when I use the "Call" button on the pj it tells me that the signal being received is Pal wheather it's a R1 or R2 disk. A while ago I borrowed a pioneer 717 and when I pressed the "call" button when viewing a R1 disk the pj was recieving a ntsc signal. This would suggest that I can't even use the iscan for my R1 disks with my present DVD player.

It looks like I just bought a completely useless piece of equipment for myself.

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Liver_Gone

At least it will sync with your projector. I couldn't even get mine to sync.

I was planning to run the DVD in anamorphic and then use an anamorphic lens to unsquash it.

Maximum resolution but more expense. I couldn't get the thing to sync so it was all academic. Maybe you could do this...

Gordon warned me that using anamorphic lenses could be a problem with projectors that angle the lense to the panel to get some keystone image lift...

If you're interested in the anamorphic lens option, drap this chap an email - mahlers@schneiderkreuznach.com <

Cheers
    Gary

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Liver,

just out of interest try a region 1 disk in component mode, this should work.

If it makes you feel any better I am in exactly the same position and have my ISCAN up for sale.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks Guys

I didn't get home until 10.00 last night and I didn't have the heart to set up the iscan again with a R1 disk. It's back in it's box and there it will stay until the next owner opens it. I have put it up for sale.

Conor

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Okay

I tried it again. I set the iscan up with the MT3 with Svideo from DVD to Iscan and VGA from iscan to VGA on projector. Set the PJ and iscan to Y, Y-u, Y-v out/in. Hey presto it worked...kinda. It is showing the image at an incorrect aspect ratio. The picture is too high showing circles as vertical ovals. The pj "call" button shows that it is receiving a 480p image wheather it is a Pal or NTSC disk.

I am still going to sell the iscan as my pj will not support progressive scan on R2 disks, but I would like to know what is causing it or the pj to show the image streached vertically (by about 10%)so any ideas greatly appreciated

Conor

[ 15-10-2001: Message edited by: Liver_Gone ]

8. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Whats about the squeeze setting, I assume you flicked that backwards and forwards?

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm not sure what that squeezing switch is suppossed to do. all that it seemed to do was squeeze it horizontally and my iamge is too high (needs to be squeezed a little more vertically)

Conor

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    If the Tosh MT3 can't switch between 4:3 and 16:9 when fed an image from the iScan, then you have three options:

1 - set your DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox. All your films will be the correct shape, but any Anamorphic titles will lose some resolution.

2 - buy an Isco or Panamorph anamorphic lens. This will correct the image shape for anamorphic titles and keep the resolution.

3 - sell the iScan and stick to feeding the projector with and ordinary video signal.

The Squeeze function on an iScan reduces the width of an image to make 4:3 fit inside a 16:9 projection screen. The result is similar to watching a small 4:3 image on a 16:9 telly - you get black bars left and right.

Regards

11. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris

The MT3 does allow me to switch to 16:9 mode when using the iscan pro (my earlier post was incorrect) but even in 16:9 mode the image is still too long vertically (by about 10%)

I have already gone for option three on your suggestion list. The fact that the MT3 will only work with R1 disks (480p) rules it out for me.

Conor