1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba MT3 and dust spots

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alan8477, Feb 8, 2002.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I've had my MT3 for just over 2 months and I have my first dust spots. They present as an ill defined light area, about the size of the palm of my hand on an 8' display screen. Only really visible in the lower black bar when viewing widescreen.

Has anyone taken the lid of the MT3 to clean it? I read in a thread on this site that ninc0 had. Anyone offer any guidance and advice on doing this, such as how many screws do I need to remove, what will I find inside when I remove it, and what should I be 'blowing'?

2. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also be interested in hearing from some one who has cleaned either the MT1 or MT3. There must be somebody.

Conor

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks to ninc0 I have cleaned my MT3 and I now have a completely clean image.

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    alan,

can you give an overview of the procedure, I had a tosh mt1 and now have an mt-7 with a few dust spots.

I'm having problems taking it to bits, even with all the main case screws out it doesn't seem to come apart.

I'm pretty sure its a fairly similar layout to the tosh MT1

thanks

5. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi ROne, on my MT3 I have 3 screws left and 4 on the right, 1 at the back, 1 at the front, (only visible after removing front grill), 2 tiny ones in the front grill (after removing them slide the grill to the left away from the lens. The upper case cover should now lift off.

Alan

6. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alan and Nico

I couldn't get a can of air today but I'll try it on Monday. My PJ is six months with one dust spot about two inches in diameter and visible on dark scenes (almost said "black scenes" there, but there's suppossed to be no such thing on an LCD pj).

Out of intrest what do u use your pj with: HCPC?, DVD? How do u find it?

Conor

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys, it was the screws in the grill that caught me out.

I basically opened the projector, turned it on and blew threw a lint-free cloth straight onto the area around the back end of the lens and through the air filter and this cleared it.

I know your supposed to use a air canistor but I find these not very strong so I did it with my mouth through a cloth while it was turned on ... probably a bit moronic but it worked.