1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba MT200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xfiles, Dec 24, 2004.

1. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have this projector?

What do you think of it.

The specs are very good, i´d like to know more about personal experiences or reviews, because there isnt much information available.

So any thoughts would be useful.

Thanks. :smashin:

2. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, someone must have any toughts about this projector!!!

Thanks.

3. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I think I’m just about the only MT200 owner judging by the lack of reviews and opinions. I’ve written a little summary on ‘Projector Central’ under the ‘User Reviews’ if you want to take a look.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Toshiba_TACP-TDP-MT200.htm

I’ve had the MT200 for over two months now with some serious DVD viewing over this Christmas period. Frankly I’m really surprised others haven’t cottoned onto the MT200, as the performance is outstanding especially if you consider the price tag. I paid approximately £940 from nexnix, a price that astounds everyone who has seen it! I would certainly recommend this unit if you are considering either the H30 or SP4805. :thumbsup:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Reviewed in Feb 2005 Home cinema, came 3rd equal in the test. For the same money you can get WXGA on the PJTX100, but that's LCD of course!
    ...PJ

5. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your opinions.

I read that the hardware and firmware of Toshiba MT200 is basicly the same as SP4805. Is this correct?

ZippyCat what about rainbows? tell me about it. I already saw a demonstration of SP4805 and didn´t recognize any. What in MT200?

Once again thanks.

6. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the review and you talked about rainbows but if you could tell me more i apreciate!!!

I also need to know about the screen size, because i didn´t find any projection calculator of this pj.

I´m thinking of a throw distance of 3,30m (11ft) and a viewing of 3,50m (11,5ft). ceiling mount.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
  8. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Xfiles, if you don’t have any rainbow problems with the SP4805, you will not have any problems with the MT200 as both utilise the same colour wheel combination (6 segment, 4x speed). In fact, I would go as far as to say the MT200 performs better in this regard due to the lower stated lumen output.

There is some element of truth in the SP4805 and MT200 being the same, although not to the same extent as their predecessors. The MT100 shares the same chassis as the SP4800 (although be it with a different coloured finish), and the firmware being designed by Toshiba. The MT200 does not share the same chassis as the SP4805, but the specs & performance are for all intents and purposes identical.

The MT200 is probably classified as a longish throw projector, as the throw ratio is 1.87 – 2.25. Give or take some tolerances, you could achieve a screen width of between 5 & 6 foot, ideal considering the viewing distance you stated.

There is in my opinion no reasonable justification as to why the SP4805 sells for £350+ more than the MT200.

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

The H31 Optoma should be due soon, plenty of patter on the US forum bout it... Has darkchip2 and DVI input....

CH

10. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I already look at a review made by whatvideo - widescreen tv, this projector won 5 stars and it is highly recommended.
    The other reviews are:

Publication: Home Cinema Choice
    Rating: 4 stars
    Quote: "Toshiba's efforts have produced what is by far the best sub-£1000 projector yet seen."

Publication: Empire
    Rating: Best Budget Projector
    Quote: "with picture quality as good as you can get in this price bracket, this model is superb value for money."

Publication: Essential Hi-Fi & Home Cinema
    Rating: Best Buy
    Quote: "The MT200 turns out to be a very able performer. Particularly likeable are its colours, which really are fantastically authentic for such a cut-price projector."

Publication: What Video and Widescreen TV
    Rating: 5/5 stars, Best Buy
    Quote: "Tremendous value DLP projector with great performance"

The only "negative" thing is, as zippycat says, the relation between throw distance and screen width.

However i used a little program in deutsch toshiba website that calculates the screen size, and the diference at a throw distance = 3,30m (11ft) compared to SP4805 it´s minimal.

http://www.toshiba.de/projektoren/index2.asp

Use the link "service & support" and "distanz-rechner"

I apreciate all opinions you can give.

ZippyCat as you are the only i know that uses the Toshiba MT-200, i apreciate your experience and the continuous of your thoughts. :smashin:

Sorry about my english but it´s not my natural language, i´m from Portugal.

11. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I wouldn’t say the long throw lens is a bad thing, it actually lends itself to your particular set-up i.e. viewing distance of 2x the screen width away.

BTW, your English is very good. As a matter of fact, I thought you were based in the UK! :smashin:

12. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought my toshiba mt200 yesterday. I will conect it this weekend. By th end i wiil say something.

13. xfiles

xfiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already saw the Toshiba MT200 and (i think the principal rival) SP4805 working. Let me simply say that Toshiba is better.

Excelent value for the money i spent 1.130 € (796 GBP), less than i was expecting to pay for SP4805.

Zippy Cat thanks for the toughts.

How did you calibrate your machine?

14. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'm too late but I'll talk anyway:)

I've had my mt200 one week and love it to bits

At a throw distance of 3.6m I've go just short of 2m wide picture ---not bad

don't like the fact that I have to unplug it every time

Also I think the fan noise increased after fitting the ceiling bracket - notice it in quiet passages now --- (it is above my head on a false ceiling, so I suppose this could amplify it!)

15. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Would it not be possible to find some rubber washers to dampen the fan noise or would this in turn lead to picture problems?, just wondering.

16. fred251

fred251

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i m in love with mine, the picture is superb,rich of detail and clear.
    set up is very easy and feed with the dvi connection of my samsung 935
    the picture is inbeleavable.
    i test the screenplay 4805 in the past and i think the picture is a lot better on the toshiba mt200.
    if you need any info ask.
    my screen is 90 inch diagonal
    fred