Toshiba MT200 Fan Noise Query

chrisconnew

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Toshiba MT200 in December since i'd got my new house and was determined to have a decent Home Cinema setup on a budget. Paired with a 90" eletric Cinescreen from an Ebay seller i have been very happy.

Had it sat on a table top for a while, and eventually i have made up my own ceiling mount which is really a prototype and will remake before too long.

I have one query with the projector, and it's about the fan noise. Even when the projector is off - turned off by the remote control that is, there is a constant fan hum. It's there after 2mins or 24 hours and is a bit of a problem because it can be heard byt hte person in bed in the room above.

There is a power switch on the projector itself which completely turns the unit off, but of course with the projector ceiling mounted this is reachable by standing on the sofa, but a.) it's new and b.) that will be a right pain in the neck.

I could sortout being able to turn off the socket with a remote but we've already got remotes for the projector, screen, receiver, dvdrecorder, sky box etc. so i am wondering if there is something wrong with my MT200 as the fan is on all the time. It shouldn't be a heat issue as it makes no difference how long the unit has been on, if it's hot, if the windows are open.

Any ideas?

How is it going to be plugged in?

I disconnect the plug for my PJ's when not in use. Luckily, it has probably saved the PJ's as I have had some power cuts. I know people who have lost PJ's due to spikes when left plugged in even when not being used at the time.

The projector is plugged into a surge protected four way adapter - so hopefully i am covered against power spikes.

My old man is a dab hand with electronics and electrics so i am hoping that he can rig me up something along the following lines;

Since the PJ uses very little power when off - just enough to keep a fan running on low, i'm hoping that i can plug the power cable into something which can detect when the power useage goes up ie. when you turn the thing on full, and then detect when the power useage goes back down to below a certain percentage of full draw. The idea being that i could set it to leave the cooling fan on for 5, 10, 15 minutes or whatever and then cut power completely.

Having looked at using rf remote power sockets or wiring in a switch of some sort those seem to be an easier option but i've got to find a decent solution to this as just last night i came downstairs for a glass of water and was suprised at how much noise the fan makes overnight and can understand why my brother sometimes finds it aggravating.

Must dig the manual out and read what it says about cooling down times and try and talk to somebody else who has one.

My MT200 hums as you describe. So I guess this is normal.

I just flick the switch on the back of mine when its cooled down. But sounds like my ceiling is lower than yours. :)

Oh well, i guess it is normal.

I've been flicking it off, but there are plenty of times when watching a dvd late at night that i'd rather not hang around for an extra 10-15 minutes just so that i can turn it off.

I have a mate who is allegedly a bit of an electrical wizard looking into making me something to turn it off after 15mins, but then be able to turn back on again when we use the remote.

If that gets anywhere i'll post about it

Would it not be easier to try and isolate the fan noise via some rubber washers or such like on the projector mount ? If the fan is on 27x7 (even when the unit is off) then there must be a problem IMO - are you sure it's not the SMPSU humming or is air definately being shifted ?

Nikko2, is correct the fan is on constantly on this model not sure why to be honest. I just unplug mine when not in use.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom