1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba MT1 or MT3 with Iscan Pro

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I know that this question has been asked before without a reply but perhaps somebody has put these two together, either the MT1 or MT3 with the iscan pro. If so what were the results.

Thanks

Comer

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,<br />I would love to know the answer to this one as well please.<br />Surely one of you guys who sells these items has messed around matching these 2 together?

3. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll try it for you tonight.

A HTPC works very well with the MT1-3 but havent used a Scaler.

Consider it done, report it later or in morning

4. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK test done.
    Equipment used:
    Toshiba MT-3, Iscan pro scaler, Pioneer 737 DVD ( Outputing S-VHS to the MT-3 and Component into the Iscan ). G-Forge Equipted HTPC.
    Conclusion:
    The Toshiba gives a very respectable image straight away using the S-VHS. I tend to find picture stability a problem with all LCD PJ's and the Tosh is no exception. Look at scenes like Chapter 10 Gladiator ( Gladiator I salute you )the panning into the Village. The whole background is alive with movement and shimmering. Aslo the intro to Shakespear in love ( Roof and Ballistrades).
    Using the Iscan improved this a lot and the picture was much more stable. Although the total presentation was not vastly improved, it took a lot of setting the colour levels to get the most out of th picture. Contrast was the worst offender, though all easily adjusted from the front panel of the Iscan.
    I think the MT-3 is optimised for Video use with the S-VHS and for graphics with the RGB input. And the addition of an Iscan is not as great an Improvment as I would have hoped for. Onto the HTPC and once again you can see the benefits that are involved, Colours are easier to control and picture stability is very good. Overall presentation is a great improvment over both other inputs ( In all my testing The HTPC nearly always comes out top ( value for money ).Maybe a Farouja Mative rate might work better but a lot more money, and you would be better off with another PJ.

All things considered the Iscan does what its surposed to by reducing the jaggies, the slight image softening with both the Iscan and the HTPC are a benefit to the likes of the MT-3 to give a more film like presentaion. I always run LCD's very slightly out of focus to reduce the Line structure anyway.

As always get hold of an Iscan and give it a try before you buy, You might like it you might not.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks Paul

I really appreciate the trouble that you obviously went to. I was hoping to use the iscan pro with a DVD player using the s-video from the DVD player to s-video on the iscan and a computer 9 pin cable fron the iscan to the MT3's RGB input. I am in Ireland and would have to travel to England to see these two working together and I'm trying to ascertain if the difference the iscan will make can justify the cost and hassle of the journey (let alone the cost of the iscan pro -about £1000 irish punts).

My hope is that the iscan pro will improve jaggies, and, to some extent, detail. However my biggest gripe with the MT3 is a vertical line structure that appears in the background (like sky) or in smokey/foggy scenes and even in peoples faces if they are slightly out of focus. I sent the pj back to Toshiba and the teckie said that it is "as good as it can get" I did notice that when I tried a HCPC with the MT3's RGB in, that these lines were barely visible. So I am hoping that the line doubler and the fact that I would be using RGB in on the pj would reduce this line structure. You would be forever in my prayers (well... maybe for a week) if you could tell me if my plan has any merit. If it has I will happily arrange a viewing (with a view to purchase) and jump on a plane in the next few weeks.

Thanks again

Comer

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82

Thanks Garry

If I can find out wheather or not the iscan pro can improve the vertical line structure using it as I have described above, I will check that out.

Comer

7. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Just tried the Iscan again, just for you guys. "No" any excuse to play with new toys and still say I'm working :D
    Connected this time with 6m S-VHS and short VGA lead between Iscan and Projector Using the RGB input.
    The vertical banding is still evident but reduced when using the Iscan, it looks softer so they appear to merge together somehow.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great effort!
    Thanks for your help. :D

[ 03-10-2001: Message edited by: ninc0 ]

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks Paul
    Great Job

Comer

10. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Comer
    As mentioned by Gary earlier in the thread if you want an silicon image iscan pro give me a shout on my e-mail.
    richardsgreenwood@hotmail.com

regards

richard

11. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82

12. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Comer,

You might want to try contacting fatrich on this board. He may have a 2nd hand Iscan Pro for sale !!!

Gary