Toshiba MK8025GAS Hard Drive Circuit Board Replacement

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Stepney, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Stepney

Stepney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have an 80GB Toshiba MK8025GAS HDD2188 C ZK01 hard disk which I bought in Egypt in 2005 to use as a data backup drive. The unit has just suddenly stopped working and I suspect it is a component failure on the circuit board. No spin, no clicking, totally dead. I've tried it in a number of caddies so it is not an external interface problem.

I've tried tracking down a replacement circuit board to swap out but I am having trouble locating a replacement. I've been told that the boards must be identical as the disk may spin but data will not be accessible. I've managed to decipher what the various parts of the product code mean from the Toshiba data sheet on their website. However, all the ones I find have a letter T or a letter S after the ZK01 section where as my disk has neither. I've also not been able to find out what the letter C before the ZK01 section means and I've seen other letters here for the same drive (Is it the firmware revision?).I'm keen to avoid using a data recovery service as there is a lot of confidential info on the drive so replacing the board is my first course of action.

I've had a limited conversation with a Toshiba tech support person in Germany who informed me the letters were probably manufacturer codes to show who used the drive - eg S is for Sony but he couldn't tell me what T was. Don't know, just not convinced. I didn't get to ask the meaning of the letter C.

Amazon and ebay have a load of these S or T boards or complete drives for sale.

Does anybody have a view on whether the S or T is important or the C letter is more relevant if perhaps it is the firmware revision?

Further information:
    S/N is 55C53470A 6N3 EC .A on the top label.
    Made in Japan

Side of disk has bar code label HM1AA102T3 on it.

3 labels on the bottom of the drive have the following information:
    Label 1 shows 610 A0/KA023A with 80.00GB underneath.
    Label 2 is the warranty void if broken sticker with 000G02002 with TOSHIBA under it and 05115V under that.
    Label 3 has QF 454KVVU on it.
    In addition, directly printed onto the board on the non component side are the codes FKN5GA and A5A000465.

Label on opened up component side of the circuit board has 620 A0 on it,
    There are 3 chips (2 rectangular, 1 square) on the board. Names and numbers on them can be provided if it helps.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks.

Stepney

2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Because of the mode of operation of hard drives, there would be component variations to match read/write heads and motor drives so your task is a daunting one. The board markings may only be part of the customisation. If you damage the R/W coils, the eventual recovery cost just keeps going up!

Why are you worrying about a 7 year old back-up drive?

3. Stepney

Stepney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

This is now sorted. Found a company in the US Hard Drive PCBs, Circuit Boards, Hard Drive Parts - Donor Drives that has a replacement board for $19.95 plus it offers a free pcb adaptation services that copies your failed board firmware and chipset characteristics onto it. The S and T letters are irrelevant. Just be the cost of the local postage as I'm in the US for a month from next week. If this doesn't work I'll use a data recovery company.