Toshiba LED vs. Samsung LED 40"

fishacura

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm a loyal Toshiba customer. I have always thought their PQ was outstanding particularly for the price point of their sets. However, that was in a different era.

I'm now purchasing my first LED television and am stuck between Samsung and Toshiba. Not knowing a lot about the technology and PQ compared to say LCD and Plasma, it's difficult. My first course of action is going to be to check them out in the store. However, I'd still like the opinions of folks out here.

I'm looking at the Samsung 6150 smart TV and a new Toshiba model 40L2200U. The Samsung is $200 more but that's because of all the smart features. Putting them aside, does anyone have an opinion of general PQ between the two? I just really know nothing about the Samsung brand......I've ruled out Sony, Vizio and some others and am really curious about Samsung and specifically how their PQ measures up.

Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

BTW, I am replacing my Toshiva 35" Tube HD set :( Love the tube PQ! All of a sudden the HDMI inuts don't work so I'm on analog inputs ugh!

Last edited:
I'm a loyal Toshiba customer. I have always thought their PQ was outstanding particularly for the price point of their sets. However, that was in a different era.

I'm now purchasing my first LED television and am stuck between Samsung and Toshiba. Not knowing a lot about the technology and PQ compared to say LCD and Plasma, it's difficult. My first course of action is going to be to check them out in the store. However, I'd still like the opinions of folks out here.

I'm looking at the Samsung 6150 smart TV and a new Toshiba model 40L2200U. The Samsung is $200 more but that's because of all the smart features. Putting them aside, does anyone have an opinion of general PQ between the two? I just really know nothing about the Samsung brand......I've ruled out Sony, Vizio and some others and am really curious about Samsung and specifically how their PQ measures up.

Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

BTW, I am replacing my Toshiva 35" Tube HD set :( Love the tube PQ! All of a sudden the HDMI inuts don't work so I'm on analog inputs ugh!

Hi there. I see from the model numbers that you quote that you're in the USA. This is actually a predominantly UK based forum and, as such, you'll struggle to get good information/advice regarding US models and would be better asking your questions on a US based forum - here's a link to AVS Forums where hopefully you'll get the information you need.

Cheers,

Martin.

Oh my apologies. I didn't even realize this.
However, I'm not as concerned with specific models as I am with the general reputation of Toshiba/Samsung as it relates to LED and Picture Quality. I'd love insight from my colleagues from across the pond :)

Most edgelit LED-LCD TVs will suffer some degree of backlight bleed/clouding due to the tech, brands as good or bad as each other

Plasma doesn't have this issue of course - buck for buck a plasma will usually have better PQ and better blacks with no clouding

Last edited:
Oh my apologies. I didn't even realize this.
However, I'm not as concerned with specific models as I am with the general reputation of Toshiba/Samsung as it relates to LED and Picture Quality. I'd love insight from my colleagues from across the pond :)

Hi, no apology required, I just wanted to point you to where you had a better chance of getting model specific information.

However, I really do agree with vickster's reply above, especially his comments re plasma being a better option for picture quality and solid blacks.

Cheers,

Martin.

Understood but Plasma is not an option for me due to size. Not too many 40" and under plasmas and don't they also have angle viewing issues?
So my question is specific to LEDs and Samsung/Toshiba.

Other way - LCD/LED has viewing angle issues, plasmas have none whatsoever. Plasmas start at 42" (at least in Europe), not much bigger than 40"

Go have a look in store at the models you are interested in - Toshibas are probably cheaper relatively than Samsung feature for feature - at least in Europe again...but it depends on the model, which we cannot help you with

Samsung 'LEDs' seem to suffer bleed and potentially motion blur, Toshibas banding, sound issues and bleed - can be a lottery

The 'LEDs' you are referring to you are LCDs, albeit with LEDs around the edges providing backlight...have a read here http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...about-fantastic-radically-new-technology.html

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a shame that plasma is not an option for me but from what I am gathering, there is no "one answer" when it comes to PQ and Toshiba/Samsung in the LED space. I just wanted to be sure, all things being equal, there wasn't a clear superior company in this area.

I have to ask why you see Plasma as not being an option for you? As victster says, there's not much physical difference between a 40" and a 42" whereas, in my reckoning anyway, the PQ difference is great, with no viewing angle problems at all.

Cheers,

Martin.

Simply put...size. While there is not"much" difference, 2 inches takes me over the available width.

But only if I really was set on plasma which I'm not so its ok....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom