1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba LCD with Freeview

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by HHGTTG, Aug 13, 2005.

1. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I am considering buying a Toshiba 32WL56 rather than the '58' model as I don't want a built in Freeview tuner. What is the purpose of having the tuner built in as you still need another external tuner to make off-air, unattended recordings to a VCR, say.
    Obviously the day will come when the TV will need to have a tuner (digital) when the analogue signal is axed, but I'd rather have an LCD TV with just the old analogue tuner and choose the quality and type of Freeview tuner to go with it and which can then be used to supply a signal to my VCR, or whatever. After all does the built in Freeview tuner have the facilitly for making off-air recordings. Does it have an events timer etc. How would the TV switch its tuner on to output the necessary channel to the VCR etc?

So many questions!

Unlike a lot of you on this forum, I don't want an LCD TV for using games consoles or connecting my PC to it or watching future HD Sky inputs etc. etc. I just want to watch SD tuner input and possibly buy a DVD recorder with a built in Freeview tuner eventually, when the prices tumble a bit more, say next year.

:rolleyes:

2. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't bother with the Toshiba, buy a Sharp 'P' Series.

3. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    WHY? How much are the Sharp 'P' series as I don't want to spend more than £1000. The Tosh 32WL/56 is £999.95 at my local Sevenoaks Hi-Fi although I realise I could get it cheaper online but would never, ever buy this sort of product in such a manner as it's so much easier to deal with a local highly respected business if there are problems or faulty items and what's more they install it for you and remove any old TV's not wanted - a far better deal IMHO.
    :rolleyes:

4. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have the 32WL56 - didn't really understand all this Freeview stuff until after I got the TV (I thought, it's free, so it must be crap). It was only after getting the TV I found out more about Freeview and what it all means.

So to begin with I was a bit miffed I had not got the Samsung equivelant with built-in freeview.

However, I think the 32WL56 looks better (despite what everyone else says) and I have a tiny freeview box plugged into it.

My guess is when HD is transmitted over freeview, the built in freeview tuners won't be able to make use of it, however that situation is a long way off.

5. ma1234

ma1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The Sharp P series is optimised for PAL/SD display (960 x 540). Just received an e-mail flyer from Richer Sounds advertising the Sharp LC32P50E for £699.95 although unsure how this price compares with other retailers.

6. telford_mike

telford_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It can actually do this (the 58 series). You can program the set to switch channels etc using the EPG.

7. leemo1234

leemo1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 58 model (42 inch). You can record freeview onto VHS / DVD without the need for a seperate box. Via scart 3 on the TV this is an input/output scart which acts as a smart link with a suitable recorder. You can set the tosh to out from his scart either freeview/analogue or from other feeds that are coming via your other inputs.

8. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The Sharp P50e is by far the best set for your needs. As has been said its PAL optimised and produces the best SD picture on a LCD.

As has been said you can pick one up for £699 for Richersounds. Some broances of JL were also selling for £699 but I'm not sure if JL have any left.

I doubt you will find anyone who has a bad word to say about the SD picture of the Sharp.

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a silly qustion but do you have to have the TV on in order to record to the external recorder? Surely not.

10. in2deep

in2deep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HHGTTG - The WLT series has a Freeview tuner in addition to an analogue one, so you can choose whichever you want to watch. This obviously means that when analogue is switched off, you won't need to change the set, or buy an extra box.

I use it every now and then, if I'm not recording anything via my PVR, and it's very responsive - the digital text is quick too. There's also the benefit of analogue teletext if you want.

Unfortuneately it's most likely outside your budget, if you stick to £1000....

11. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I hear people say this a lot. However surely nobody would ever change a £1000 TV set in 2008 as opposed to buying a £40 digital freeview box?

12. ma1234

ma1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I really can't see the point in the original poster looking at the WLT58 (nothing against the TV as I have one myself) or even the WL56. For their posted requirements the WLT/WL would be a waste of money.

13. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Moreover, John Lewis can provide the new 32WLT58 at cost of around £1050.00 (via price matching service) - that's only £50 more than the older WL56. With John Lewis you will also get the 5 year guarantee.
    Absolutely no contest as far as i'm concerned.

I purchased my 32WLT58 for £1079.00 back in November (this was when it was generally priced up at £1495.00).

14. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    What's the difference between the 32WL56 and the 32WLT58? Is it just that one has the built in tuner? Because I paid just under £800 for a 32WL56 recently (which was £200 more than I wanted to pay :) ) so paying yet another £200 on top of that for built in freeview would not have been worth it for me when I already had a £30 freeview box seperate.

15. leemo1234

leemo1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its actually a good question and I dont know the answer. Only had the TV for 10 days. Will have to experiment to find out.

16. steve1966

steve1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    32WLT58 has 2 HDMI sockets, 32WLT56 only has 1.

17. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ahhhh, I assume this means if you want a HD DVD Player and Console plugged into the TV, you have to swap them around each time you use one. Whereas with the 32WLT58 you can have them both plugged in at the same time?

18. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    32WLT58 has 2 x HDMI inputs which, IMO, is going to become more and more important as time goes on. It also doesn't have a "true" Component input - it's a "Component Video via PC input".
    And of course the obvious - the styling! ;)

19. shemau

shemau
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are more connections on the WLT58 than WL56.
    The WL56 has 2 SCART (1 RGB) the WLT58 has three (2 RGB)
    The WL56 does component via VGA and you have to buy a seperate converter,
    whilst the WLT58 has seperate VGA and component inputs.
    The WL56 has 1 HDMI, the WLT58 has 2.

The WLT58 has newer micro speakers, diddy little things on the bottom whilst the WL56 has larger ones. If the TV sits on a relatively high unit this might make a difference.

Typically the WLT58 comes with a desktop stand and a full floor standing stand. With the WL56 the full stand is extra (although some stores sell them bundled).

The WLT58 comes with psuedo surround sound, I am not convinced this on the 56.
    The WLT58 has a freeview tuner (having read the first append why would you buy a TV with tuner in it? Do you own a TV and a VCR? They both have tuners... and you did that! I don't see that Freeview tuners are anything different - except the potential cost differential. It is also one less box to plug in and several less cables - and you know how expensive cables can be).

Assuming you are buying online, the price differential is the deciding factor:
    32WL56 www.lcd-tv-deals.co.uk for £810/£820; Freemans 20% (via google) for £800.
    32WLT58 via Freemans 20% is more like £960.
    So if you want the floor stand... the WLT58 is definitely the best bet. Very little price differential if you are going to add this to the WL56.
    If you don't want the floor stand it becomes tricky. £160 for a stand you don't want, freeview and better connectivity. Personal decision time.

20. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I admit I've been looking into the connections recently and am a bit envious of the 32WLT58. However originally I was going to get the 27WL56 but spent another £200 on the 32WL56, so a further £200 on the 32WLT58 would have put me £400 over budget :eek:

I guess you gotta stop sometime, otherwise your next car will be a Ferrari and not a Ford Mondeo. :lesson:

21. in2deep

in2deep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main reasons I went for the 37WLT58 were:

Connectivity (especially the 2 x HDMI)
    Built-in Freeview
    Understated looks (so doesn't dominate too much)
    Previous experience of Toshiba (I had the 36ZP38 CRT)

The Freeview built-in is better IMO because the analogue picture is poor - I have excellent reception, but the artefacts are just too much. Plus I wanted to feed a digital TV with a digital signal ( :rolleyes: )

I wanted to keep at least the connections I'd had on the CRT set, and Toshiba are very generous with their socketry, so I get 3 scarts, 2 HDMI, component, s-video, vga, composite, L-R audio, and 2 common interface slots for Top-up TV, etc - bargain!!! There aren't many sets that give you so many things to choose from

Looks-wise, I didn't want the set to be a work of art - I did consider the Sony Bravias, and the Philips with Ambilight2, but decided the Tosh was better VFM and could sit quite nicely in the corner of the room without shouting its presence.

22. chris-j

chris-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No you don't need the TV left on to use the Ext3 recording output (for freeview anyway) Use the Timers on the TV and the active standby kicks in during timer period.

23. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Dum di dum. What have we here, then? 56 or 58? 58. I say, but not because of the Freeview tuner, because of the styling (Oh! Shallow rhubarbe!) and the 2 x hdmi.

Freeview tuner is OK, no more than OK, it's good. But, the salient point here is that you really need the twin tuner PVR to go with it, because with this you can chase play through the ads, rewind and pause live TV, take the dog for a walk and by the time the rest of the world has suffered Andi Bl**dy McDowell being "worth it" a hundred times and that git in the Flash ad 50 times, you can FF through the whole lot and just watch the programmes.

Plus, if you don't do a tv channel scan on the 58, YOU WON'T GET THE RIGHT HAND SPEAKER CRACKLING AND WINDING YOU UP.

Deep breath.