1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba LCD: "great gaming LCD"...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Molhoy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

I've just picked up the latest issue of What Plasma & LCD TV to find that the Toshiba 32WL56 narrowly beats the Panny TX32LXD500 in a head-to-head test. In summary, the reviewer stated that the Panny bettered the Toshiba in terms of details, black levels and sound but that the Toshiba offered superior colour depth and smoother edges to on-screen objects. They concluded that the Toshiba was very close to the Panny in terms of overall performance and that it's significantly cheaper asking price made it the better buy.

Interesting.

Something else that attracted my attention about the article was reference to the fact that in the previous issue of the magazine, the Toshiba had been made the winner of a group test of gaming LCDs.

I should at this point clarify that I am not currently an LCD TV owner, but am in the market for one in anticipation for the launch of the XBOX 360. However, in addition to wanting a TV that can display the 360 in all it's glory I also want something that do a good job of displaying my current-generation PAL consoles.

This has been a cause of concern for me, as I understand that LCD displays generally struggle to display interlaced console displays without blurring/ghosting etc. By this token, I am intrigued as to what qualities made the Tosh stand out in the WP&LCD group test. I am assuming the test was conducted using UK consoles, so could this (or perhaps the 32WLT58) be the TV for me...?

I have not been able to find out much information about the gaming performance of the current Toshiba range, even when checking the WLT58 thread.

Did anyone read the group test in question that can tell me why the Toshiba was regarded the best TV for gamers? Are there any Toshiba 56/58 owners out there who use their TV for gaming who can tell me how well it performs?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

2. Dan_O

Dan_O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also be very interested to read answers to some of these questions. Sounds like I'm in a similar position to you. Moving up to HD LCD ready for the 360. Trying to decide between the Samsung LE32R41B and the Toshiba 32WL56P.

I had the Samsung LE26R41B for about a week before returning it due to a fault. Tried the Xbox (standard) on it via RGB, and it seemed fine, but there were jaggies everywhere from the upscaling - not sure if the Toshiba does a better job on this. PC gaming (e.g. Half Life 2) was fantastic though - didn't notice any problems with smearing/ghosting or anything.

I suspect that the Toshiba won that group test partly down to its fast 10ms response time, although I dont know what it was tested against. I would also like to know if the Toshiba did anything else to help win the test.

3. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Big question - did they try the games with a progressive feed? I doubt it since that feature is disabled in the the PAL Xbox and Gamecube and very few PS2 games support progressive. Trying to differentiate between LCD's displaying interlaced games (i.e. RGB) is like trying compare dogs dinners. Unfortunately reviewers won't start rating the performance we NEED to know about (i.e. 720p) until XBox 360 comes around in Dec. Until then any tests are best made by yourselves...

I have the new Sony V32 (8ms reponse time) and it displays motion blur in games. My search is not yet over it seems...

4. Dan_O

Dan_O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, it is probably unlikely they tested 720p games. It would be very interesting to hear from anyone who's tried a modified XBox (or similar) with the Toshiba 32WL56P.

This is where the Samsungs have an advantage, since Microsoft chose their LCDs for the 360 demo booths. True, this doesn't mean that they were chosen on merit alone, but MS wouldn't want motion blur apparent in their games.

I would like the TV I choose to be good at other things too, which is why I'm interested in the Toshiba as well. I get the vibe that it generally has better picture quality than the Samsung (although I'd like this confirmed or otherwise).

5. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Every report tells us that the Samsungs blur quite a lot. Microsoft will have got the demo LCDs very cheap indeed (which since they'll be putting out about 50'000 demo pods isn't surprising) but they'll be banking that a hi def display displaying graphics that good will knock peoples sox off even if there is a some motion blur. they're probably right.

6. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Can't speak for the 32" but I have the 27" Toshiba and it does motion blur *very slightly* (only really at all when a black object moves quickly across the screen) with umodded xbox via RGB (M$ advanced scart lead)

I consider myself very fussy when it comes to PQ and I held off buying an LCD for some time as i was worried about how LCD's performed with games.

But I am in no way dissapointed with this screen (my only regret is that i didn't get the 32" when i had the money.)

7. DEV

DEV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,

I have had the Toshiba 32WLT58 for a couple of weeks now. I am very happy with it. I was originally going to get a Panasonic TX32LXD500 but couldn't justify the extra 40% investiment over the Toshiba with similar performance (at least on paper). I brought this TV for the upcoming Xbox 360.

I have managed to test it with PC gaming (VGA) and US Xbox (component) and I didn't see any image problems (motion blur / tearing etc)

I have tried out the following:

PC Games (1360*768 @ 60hz) - VGA:
    FEAR demo
    Call of Duty 2 demo
    Farcry
    Doom 3
    Halflife 2
    Enjoyed all games no apparent image problems. If Call of Duty 2 for Xbox is like this it is going to be awesome.

US Xbox games (Component):
    Halo (480p)
    Halo 2 (480p)
    Conker (480p)
    Frycry Instincts (480p)
    DOA Ultimate (480p)
    Soul Calibur 2 (720p)
    Rallisport 2 (480p)
    Ninja Gaiden (480p)
    Outrun (480p)
    Soul Calibur 2 (720)
    Obviously the 480p Xbox games have a little aliasing but it didn't bother me sitting 2 metres away. If all Xbox 360 games are like Soul Calibur we are in for a treat. It amazing how much more detail you can see.

DVDs
    Underworld
    Fellowship of the Ring
    Blade 2
    Excellent - made me watch them again.

High Def TV
    Battlestar Galactica
    Threshold
    Really enjoyed these on the big screen rather than the PC.

I haven't tried my US Gamecube (Component) or Dreamcast (VGA) yet. I'll try them out and upload some pictures. By the way the sound is really good too!

8. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hey dev...what happened to the rest of your post?

9. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    and Molhoy...do we know what the other LCD's were in that test?

10. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a fair point, Ramspeed.

My only concern is that, whilst I am keen to embrace a new era of games with the coming of XBOX 360 (and PS3 next year) I currently own all three current generation consoles and a large back catalogue of games.

I still want to be able to play and enjoy these games even after I have my 360 and the purpose of this thread was to establish if the Tosh might be 'the best of a bad bunch' in terms of displaying interlaced gaming feeds.

Again, seeing for myself may be the only answer. Over the weekend I stumbled across a small local dealer who - much to my delight - agreed that I could test my shortlisted LCD TVs at home once stock was available. I am therefore hoping to test the Sony V32, the Panny TXD500 and the Tosh 32WLT58 in my own living room with my own equipment.

It might not happen for a few weeks but this, surely, will allow me to decide once and for all!

11. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, was typing my reply during which time several additional posts were made...

Glad to hear some people are reasonably happy with current generation console gaming on the Toshiba.

Ramspeed - I don't know what other TVs were tested, I'm afraid. I was wondering this myself. I have not seen the original article - only the reference to it in issue 18 of the mag (the group test in question was in issue 17). Anyone...?

I would also like to know what Dev was going to say in the rest of his post...

12. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I also looked at the Toshiba 56s but as I mainly want to use the tv for PC use (via VGA) and the 360 (component) I was dismayed to find that there are no dedicated component inputs and that component input is only available via VGA. what the fudge is that all about?! :eek:

Seems the WLT58 does though! :smashin: Will there be a 27" WLT58?

13. DEV

DEV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry guys updated my post. I was typing this using the Toshiba when I dropped the keyboard. Forgot to mention that it good web surfing TV too.

14. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Molhoy...that would be a fantastically useful test. Keep us informed.

Dev - really interesting post. Let me describe what i experience on my Sony V32 (and others I have tried). Basically when you pan around in a game the background textures blur slightly and then kind of snap back into focus when you stop moving. It's not AWFUL but it's definitely worse than my Sony CRT.

It really p*sses me off because in other ways - the detail, colour, sense of depth, is so much better than a CRT. Do you not experience this at all with the Tosh?

15. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The TV's on test for Gaming in issue 17 were.....

MODEL/ PICTURE/ FEATURES/ VALUE/ VERDICT

Toshiba 32WL56P ***** **** ***** *****

JVC LT 26DS6BJ **** ***** **** ****

Phillips 26PF5520D **** **** **** ****

DMTech DML-4132WD *** ***** **** ****

Relisys RLT2720 ** *** *** ***

Thats my good deed for the day! :thumbsup:

16. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks mate. love to get hold of that article...

17. DEV

DEV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ramspeed,

I tried panning around in Farcry and Unreal Championship 2 on the xbox and I didn't see any blurring in the background or a delayed snap back once you stop moving. Once I let go of the stick it displayed a static image. I definately didn't see any issues while playing games on the PC as well but I may double check this later.

18. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I second that!

19. DEV

DEV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats funny. That LCD gaming test article in What Plasma and LCD was one of the reasons why I decided to take a punt on the Toshiba. I thought if the 32WL56P performed well, the next iteration would be even better.

Quote from the final summary in the article "Perhaps the most impressive skill of the 32WL56 is that there's none of the blurring over motion found on many other LCDs - a crucial advantage for gamers"

20. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I know what you mean now Ramspeed with the panning around and getting the blur......Whoa! you are fussy if that bothers you!

Yes my tosh does the same but it doesn't distract me at all....AND i've had the set a few months now and have forgot what my old CRT was like!!!

If you've only just got your set i'm sure you'll get to love it and soon get comfortable with the 'minor' niggles......

(we're talking interlaced xbox BTW not prog scan dvd's.....but maybe i'll have to look a bit harder next time.)

21. Hi/zuum

Hi/zuum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Is your tosh the same as the post above's tosh - toshiba 32WLT58 ?

22. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an LCD for the same reason(xbox360).You should check out the Hitachi LD7200,before making a decision.It is ace as far as videogames go.Almost no blurring/Ghosting at all,great with the xbox and superb with a gaming PC.

I've tried the following games(via RGB -scart.i can't find a ****ing component cable here in Greece even though my xbox is modded):
    1)Doa3/DOA:U-superb image quality,approaches the "doctored" DOA screens we have been seeing on internet forumsfor years.Much better than my CRT(Sony wega 4:3).No Ghosting.
    2)Ninja Gaiden-Same as the DOA games only with REALLY SLIGHTLY ghosting on some sudden moves.
    3)Forza/PGR2-Huge improvement over the CRT.These 2 use AA and are a bit blurry on a CRT while they really shine on a good LCD.No ghosting
    4)Halo2-Same as a CRT,looks more "boring" compared to the results i get from some other games.No ghosting
    5)Conker-same as CRT.No ghosting.
    6)Soul Caliber 2-same as the DOA games.Superb IQ and no ghosting.
    7)Doom3-The toughest game for an LCD in general(due to its darkness).Great results,way better IQ than a CRT,approaches the pc version IQ more,but of course worse black levels than on a CRT.

PC(through VGA)
    1)Half-life 2-amasing with a true 16:9 image,no ghsting
    2)FarCry-has to be seen to be believed.Nothing more,nothing less.

I also have the pc version of doom3 but haven't tried it yet.I used to play pc game on a 17"" NEC LCD monitor(16ms R.T) and it the experience wasn't good at all.I had a lot of ghosting and terrible blacks.The Hitachi 7200 looks like 2 generations above in terms of IQ and LCD technology.

Oh i have also tried some ps2& GC games and the ps2 games are terrible(with tons of jaggies) while the GC games look pretty much like they did on my CRT.Most of them don't have a 16:9 option.

Bottom line:You should also check the Hitachi 7200 before deciding.

23. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for that J. Glen. I'll certainly give it a look.

Dev - that's a ringing endorsement. I will surely check out the Tosh too.

Mystified really. Either you guys are not seeing things that I would see or my very expensive 8 ms Sony V32 is poorly engineered. Research will reveal all...

Thanks for the input people.

24. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The plot thickens...

I must admit the Hitachi wasn't on my shortlist. Now, it seems, I should definitely check it out.

Thanks for the info on the article J.Glen. That's exactly what I wanted to know!

25. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have the 27" model tosh, i dont get any blur but get slight ghosting until the panel warms up after an hour or more it becomes normal again and no ghosting.

26. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it should have been on your list in the first place :D :D just look at the reviews,they speak for themselves.

It's all a matter of budget.If your budget is small,then the Samsung L32r41(we have R51 in Grrece) is your choice.Good set,great connectivity.

If your budget is higher,then go for a Hitachi LD7200 or a panasonic 500.

If you have even more money.....Philips 9830.
    All IMO,of course.

27. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    My choice was between the hitachi and the tosh. went for the tosh due to price. the hitachi's connectivity is better, but not £600 better!

28. hermeneut

hermeneut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am on the Tosh, an Xbox via Component and *everything* looks fantastic - and that's with component rooted thru a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R

29. Molhoy

Molhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your views, J.Glen. I should point out that I had previously considered the Hitachi. As you rightly emphasise, it has received many great reviews. The reason it had moved off my shortlist was that I got the impression that, whilst still good, it had ben superceded by the more recent offerings from Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba & co. I was also concerned over reports of 'buzzing' and a few users complaining that the screen was poorly secured within the frame. However, based on your high praise for the Hitachi I can see I may have dismissed it too easily.

I still really like the look of the Toshiba, though...

And the Panny...

And the Sony...

Aaargh!... Too... much... choice....

30. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive got the 27wl56 and i love it pc connected to the vga port 1360-768 smashing..a friend came round watched me play some WOW online, ..called me the next day the visit cost him £600.00. my friend is very hard to impress but the Tosh did it:thumbsup: