Toshiba laptop windows vista acting oddly

05ryan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, 2 days ago my toshiba laptop shut down with a blu screen with error codes on screen. I turned it on again and now have several problems:
The firewall is off on mcaffee and windows firewall, it will not let me switch them on. I tried avg but got the same outcome.
The connection logo in the bottom right which shows wifi conncetion has a cross and has a message when i hover over it saying "server execution failed, connection unknown". Even though i can still access internet. When I go to a website like ebay or google it takes me to some random website. The battery will also not charge, it has a message in the system tray icon saying "plugged in, not charging" i know its not the battery because it was workimg till this virus came, and it charges for 30 seconds then just retuns to how it was. I can only log onto one of the 4 computer accounts the others get a black screen and the computer just freezes. I have tried to do a system restore but the points have all been deleted from dates before the problem started. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this was a perfectly working laptop the other day

It is not normal for a virus/malware to cause a blue screen crash - I would suggest you install & run WhoCrashed to see if it can find the cause.
How old is the laptop? If it is several years old then the HDD could be on its last legs. I would suggest you run a scan disk to see if it picks up any faults.

Mark.

Hi thanks for the reply the blue screen has been happening for about a month but the other problems all started at the same time. The laptop is onyl 2 years old and i have run disk checks virus scanners and none of them successful

*hard drive is fine, anti virus checkers dont find anything wrong, dont know what is going on

Any details on what error the BSoD was showing? We can then have a much better guess as to what is happening with these details as I would think the problems are more to do with that than a virus.

Mark.

It hasnt done the Bsod in a while that is just random. I am not sure what it could be but all the stated problems happened the same day

If you install WhoCrashed from the link in my first post then that will hopefully give us the info we need to help.

Mark.

Without more info as requested could maybe be overheating. Of course, the fact that the battery doesn't charge means either problem with battery or within power distribution circuitry.

As it's unlikely to be a virus, we'll move you over to Laptops etc and see if you cast a wider net!

I'd stick 50p down that this memory related.

Does the laptop have just the one stick of memory or two?

Also try and upgrade to Windows 7, Vista is a poor operating system at the best of times! Memory management with Microsoft vista is truely poo.

I'd stick 50p down that this memory related.
Could be, but it could just as easily be 101 other things as we don't have any info on the BSoD error code and without it we are just guessing. But a failed/failing SODIMM is a comon cause of errors and could well be the cause.
Also try and upgrade to Windows 7, Vista is a poor operating system at the best of times! Memory management with Microsoft vista is truely poo.
What is the point of upgrading the OS if there is a hardware fault? It is unlikely to even install and could therefore cause more problems than it ever hopes to solve if the hardware is unstable during installation.
I also see no reason to suggest upgrading as the OP has not stated any issues with Vista. IMO the biggest issue with Vista was a lot of people tried to run it in old hardware that coudn't cope with it. A laptop bought with Vista preinstalled 'should' cope with it fine - but yes I do agree that you really need a minimum of 2Gb RAM for it to stand a chance of working well.

Mark.

Could be, but it could just as easily be 101 other things as we don't have any info on the BSoD error code and without it we are just guessing. But a failed/failing SODIMM is a comon cause of errors and could well be the cause.

What is the point of upgrading the OS if there is a hardware fault? It is unlikely to even install and could therefore cause more problems than it ever hopes to solve if the hardware is unstable during installation.
I also see no reason to suggest upgrading as the OP has not stated any issues with Vista. IMO the biggest issue with Vista was a lot of people tried to run it in old hardware that coudn't cope with it. A laptop bought with Vista preinstalled 'should' cope with it fine - but yes I do agree that you really need a minimum of 2Gb RAM for it to stand a chance of working well.

Mark.

To pin point the issue BSOD creates minidump files which can be read using the windows debugging tools the software can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463009.aspx

Depends how technical the OP is..

OS has nothing to do with the issue all im saying is that Vista is a POS :thumbsup: (sorry I wrongly worded my post)

I'd definitely start with removing one stick if your machine has 2+ memory sticks

Last edited:
Or using the WhoCrashed program I linked to should give a far more user friendly output that could be posted on here for us to try and work out what is going on.

Mark.

Interesting never used WhoCrashed... I'll check that out myself :D

:smashin:

I have a picture from 2 weeks ago of the screen

Attachments

• image-1913159332.jpg
    image-1913159332.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 46
I don't think it's a hard ware issue as the problems are all software apart from battery, but the battery does charge for 30 seconds then just says plugged in, not charging. It has 1 stick of 2gb ram installed
Thanks for all the replies

Right I've had a good search around on Google for 'Stop: 0x0000007B' and the most common cause seems to be that in the BIOS the SATA devices are set to AHCI mode but Windows hasn't installed the drivers for it. So you need to change the SATA devices to Compatability mode and then the laptop will hopefully boot ok.

Once you have the laptop booted you can then fix the AHCI driver error with a MS fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Mark.

Thank you very much it's greatly appreciated, I will try this now.

It's stopped doing the blue screen now. The only problem is now that the laptop charges for 30 seconds and then says not charging, also shows that there is no Internet connection even though Internet works. When I hover over the connection status it says unknown connection server execution failed. My nephew was messing with the regedit function trying to solve the problem and now it has the stated problems above.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom