Toshiba L670D turns on but doesn't POST or boot up

JonnyTester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A friend asked me to have a look at a laptop he owns. It turns on but just a blank screen. The laptop is a Satellite L670D.

I turned it on, and after the dvd drive making a couple of clunking sounds (being detected by the BIOS most probably), it just stops. The "Toshiba" POST screen doesn't come up, the HDD led doesn't come on, it just sits with the power led on.

Thinking the HDD is to blame, I connected it to my pc, ran a few checks, and the drive is reporting as faulty. So I tried a spare 1tb HDD in it, and the laptop started, with the Toshiba POST screen. I told the owner his HDD is stuffed and he asked me to put an SSD in it. The SSD arrived today, and the laptop again won't start. Even the HDD it previously started with doesn't make any difference.

I've now tried 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs, nothing works. I've tried all the guides for removing the battery, holding the power button down for either, depending on the guide, 20 seconds, one minute, or two minutes. Holding down SHIFT+F8+PWR, or FN+F5+PWR, does nothing. I've tried reseating the ram (2 modules in different configurations). So I'm guessing the next move is opening the laptop, resetting the BIOS by removing the battery, checking all cables and connections. But before that, is there anything else I could try?

Disconnect the DVD drive. If it's an SATA issue then it could be the DVD as well as the hard drive.

What fault did the original drive have?

Disconnect the DVD drive. If it's an SATA issue then it could be the DVD as well as the hard drive.

What fault did the original drive have?
The original problem was no picture on the screen. Obviously with this, the owner couldn't see whazt was going on. So it was a reasonable assumption to make.

You said you ran checks on the drive and it was reporting as faulty. What was the reported fault?

A bios reset should be the next step - remove the BIOS battery for 30mins. Reassemble with a new drive and reinstall the operating system

A bios reset should be the next step - remove the BIOS battery for 30mins. Reassemble with a new drive and reinstall the operating system
No go, unfortunately. The CMOS battery is a soldered to the boardI desoldered one terminal and left it for an hour or so. Turned it back on and still nothing. Then after a while, it booted once, as if to antagonise me, and hasn't done it since. Theres not really much point in me spending anymore time or money on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom