Toshiba HDXE1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daz_man83, May 2, 2007.

1. daz_man83

daz_man83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Looking at buying a decent HD player but i also want a good SD upscaler and this apparently does a good job of both up to 1080p, just wondered if anyone had any comments on one as i would like some feedback as to how good it is etc

Ive heard it only reads certain hd-dvds? and that theres a fix out for it, is this true?

Any comment or reviews would be appareciated.

2. Jaap74

Jaap74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so far the only discs I have had problems with is Superman Returns.... Jarhead, King Kong & Batman Begins all looked superb.... would highyl recommend this player :D

3. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
  4. CarbonToe

CarbonToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying one of these players is like flipping a coin, sometimes you get a good un, and othertimes a lemon.

I've not had an issue with Superman Returns but I've had issues with other disks, these turned out to be disk pressing issues, and you can't blame the Toshiba for that!!!

I'd still recommend buying one but...

1) SD-DVD still isn't region free and I don't think Tosh will make it so anytime soon....
    2) In the current climate I'd only buy HD-DVD combo disks from a dealer which accepts returns.
    3) Startup times have improved from earlier player's but are still painfully slow.
    4) Lipsync issues on some SD-DVD content. Some people get it worse than others.
    5) Some people have reported that LFE levels are low through the analogue connections. I don't have this issue.
    6) You have urges to by rubbish films you wouldn't normally go near just to see them in Hi-Def!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

But HD-DVD is stunning, SD-DVD upscaling is better than 90% of hi-end SD-DVD players i've auditioned, and CD playback is better than you'd expect for a deck in this price range.

5. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224

I know what you mean re the rubbish films. I'm gonna buy "THE HULK" cos' it is supposed to be a GREAT HD-DVD disc with a stunning picture. Sadly, I've also heard that the film is toilet!

6. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi
    Highly recommend the Xe1.Had the player for a while now and i have had flawless operation from it,as expected.It's actually my favourite piece of av kit and i'm glad i bought into HD dvd instead of sitting on the fence.
    The Xe1 has excellent build quality and looks nice as well.Have watched over forty HD dvds so far without a hitch.
    Currently watching HD Planet earth.....fantastic picture quality,great buy!
    Xe1 is also excellent for watching SD dvd upscaled.Any moans......not multi region for SD and bit slow to boot up but not enough to cry about,
    Buy the Xe1 with confidence and enjoy HD dvd.Oh yeah forget to mention the audio.....TrueHD hear it to believe it,freaking sweet!Cheers.

7. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes, this is really a problem. :D I think a name should be invented for this affliction. Serenity springs to mind- utter cack. Only rented though so returned it after the first 5 minutes.

8. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    I've had probems with La Haine, Children Of Men and Mission Impossible 3. COM locked up my machine. I had to pull the lead out. All of my standard DVDs have very bad lip-sync.

Sorry for the bad news
    Bri

9. robert777

robert777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive had my player about a month noe and am over the moon with it, the sd upconverted picture quality is staggering and as for the hd-dvd presentation, well I am amazed at times it really is totally fantastic, the level of detail has to be seen to be belived, I have not had any of the problems with lip sinc or discs not playing and I have watched around 20 hd movie so far and about the same in SD.

To sum up, through my pdp507 and Naim Audio amp I am overjoyed with the Tosh, as some have already said it does have a few issues, the biggest for me is the slowish boot up time, but its a small niggle when all is said and done.

Rob

10. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi brian s
    Have M.I.3 and COM both played fine.Faulty discs perhaps!

11. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Except, of course, for the significant number of people who are very much into "Serenity" -- usually fans of the "Firefly" TV programme. I never saw either until I heard good things concerning picture quality plus good things about content from "Firefly" TV fans (also criticisms). I like Sci-Fi so that was my very first HD DVD purchase (a month or so before I even had a player :).) Turns out is I enjoy the film very much and ended up buying the TV programme on SD DVD.

Another one that has been vilified for its content (not in alignment with the original, etc), but ooo'd and ahhh'd for it's picture is "Aeon Flux". Of course, many purchased to "admire" the lead actress, but again many of us actually like the story (works for me anyway :).) As I said, I'm into Sci-Fi.

12. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Would you care to mention which SD-DVD players you've auditioned? Just for a comparison really. :)

13. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've had mine for 2months without any issues. No lipsync or anything. SD-dvd is very good...the best I have seen. Just bought Unforgiving hd-dvd and I thought the pq would be average.....but man it was stunning. So much detail....so lifelike....I'll say go for it:thumbsup:

Edit: Well I do actually have a problem. In some dark scenes the black levels suck. Its not the tv.....cuz with my Yamaha player through component the blacks are suberb.

14. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    It may not be the TV per se', but it's very possibly the calibration. It's typical for the optimal calibration to differ between different model players.

15. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What do you recommand mate? In some dark scenes the blacks are superb.....others its just not black. If I try through component its better. HDMi issues maybe?

16. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    My recommendation is to get your hands on a calibration disc and set the picture for optimum with the Toshiba. To be sure, you can't count on every film having the identical levels, but DVD (both SD and HD) are hugely more stable than VHS or LD :). My guess is the HDMI connection will give you the most accurate representations of what's on the discs.

17. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    geese

Grab yourself a copy of HD DVD version of Digital Video Essentials. This will provide the test patterns to set black level and contrast plus other stuff.

I'm not familar with your display but I would check that the HDMI is set to the same level in the player and the screen if it has this option. This is usually called "PC" or "Video" level or "Enhanced Black". If the level is set incorrectly it can elivate the black level so it looks more grey.

AVI

18. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah I will do that mate...:thumbsup:

I dont have anything on the player remotely like that my friend. But DVE might help. It really pisses me off.....cuz all else is just so good.

19. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I watched my first HD movie last night using my new HDEX1 on the first generation 40' Sony Bravia at it's max 1080i and the movie was smoking aces.
    First impressions are - picture quality ok but at no point did I need to pick my Jaw up from the floor, infact I was somewhat disappointed as the quality was not so much better than my upscaling sony that cost less than a fifth of the Toshiba.
    Now I know I have yet to update the firmware, I have not tweaked any of the outputs and maybe the quality of the movie transfer could be an issue, but like most 'first timers' this HD virgin was a little disappointed by his experience. I have King Kong to watch next and I have been led to believe that is a stunning HD experience so fingers crossed my 'second time' will be better than the cherry pop !
    I know I'm not taking advantage of 1080p but that will have to wait until my ae1000 arrives from Hivizone (still waiting) but any tips from HDex1 vets would be appreciated.
    Cheers chaps.

20. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Hi BISHI
    Got Smokin aces myself,damn fine picture transfer on HD i thought.
    But Kong is way nicer......but then there's Happy Feet,oh lordy!

21. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    In my limited experience, HD on a middling sized screen doesn't provide a "jaw drop" experience over decently upscaled SD. However, it does provide a distinct enough improvement in the areas of detail, color quality, and image depth (all also a function of the original film, of course) plus some say artifacts, that I would describe the difference as worthwhile. 1080p should not make the difference.

By the way, if you are going to compare the two players, make sure you actually have the picture from the Toshiba properly calibrated at the TV, otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

22. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Watched selected parts of King Kong today and did some image tinkering on the TV. Setting to vivid made some difference and overall I was much more impressed than smoking aces. Still not the Jaw dropping images you see displayed on loops on HDTVs in the electrical shops ............. but I guess they are uber hi quality specifically made to show off the TV s

23. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Bishi

The store demo stuff is usually video based rather than film and this will look very different.

As someone else mentioned display size does make difference relative to viewing distance with HD.

What resolution is your display ?

AVI

24. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    No offence meant but surely there must be something amiss with your set-up.
    Kong is king when it comes down to HD transfers.Kong was my first HD dvd i watched on my Xe1,i collapsed in tears of joy from the beauty of it.

25. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I guess it's about expectation but I've always been very imprerssed with the basic A1 in terms of PQ/AQ.

IMO people somtimes forget get to factor in the directors artistic intent. If he wanted it to look dark and gritty (Miami Vice) it will still look dark and gritty in HD. Also if the display is a typical "HD Ready" resolution it is using only half or even less of the real image data on the disc.

The display size, resolution, video processing etc... may be a more limiting factor than the player.

AVI

26. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Dont get me wrong, I can see the step up from 480p which is what I am used to.The level of detail is much more acute, I was especially impressed by the constant brownian motion of the dust around Kong in close ups. I know my screen is only 40' at 1080i ( I am awaiting delivery of the Panasonic AE1000) but I have seen images that I could have reached out and touched on exactly the same display in the shop from which I bought it last year. I guess it is a case of expectation and I'm sure more tinkering may be necessary. Can you explain why Video and Film will look different and will changing the setting on the player make a difference when watching Kong.