Toshiba HDMI problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by stewbold, Feb 10, 2005.

1. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Took delivery of my fab new Toshiba DLP on Tuesday. Love the TV and quite pleased with the PQ from Sky. However there does seem to be a problem with the HDMI connection.
    I had bought a Samsung HD945 so that I could take advantage of the HDMI connection. However, when it is connected up this way and I select the HDMI option on the TV, instead of a picture, I get a screen full of what I can only describe as coloured dots (coloured snow?). The sound seems to work OK but I get no picture. Thinking it was a fault with the DVD player, I exchanged it for another one (same model) but have the same problem. I did manage to get a picture for about 2 minutes but this didn't last long and I then got a blank screen with flickering at the side. The players worked fine through a normal scart connection (but PQ suffers)

I hope I have described my problem accurately. Anyone else had a similar problem? Is there something in the settings I can change? I did change the resolution settings on the DVD player but this was to no avail.

I think that it is probably a problem at the TV end rather than the two players that I have tried. Time to ask soundandvision for a replacement set?

Many thanks for any help.

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    problems with
    Cable?
    HDCP?

3. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Loz

On both occasions I have used the cable supplied with the players. Admittedly these are not the best quality cables but presumably they should work. I had wondered whether it is an HDCP issue but I thought that it is enabled on these sets and therefore should work?

Thanks

Stewart

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    stewbold can i ask where you got your player cause every where i phone has sold out im buying the same tv today :smashin:

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    stewbold

If the TV has an HDMI socket its HDCP compliant.

Have you switched the HDMI Output of the DVD player On?

Have you switched the HDMI Input of the TV On?

Have you set the DVD Player to Output a signal the TV is compatible with - I believe your Player has a built in resize function (scaler); possibly its outputting a non standard signal.

Usually even when you have no image you can 'see' some indication on your Player or TV that the HDCP handshake is taking place - if not its usually a good sign that the kit has not been configured correctly.

Best regards

Joe

6. icebru

icebru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem your DVD and Tosh TV are fine... problem is that you have Iscan set-up on you DVD player

To get you picture back

disconnect the HDMi from your DVD player and connect composite (yellow) to your TV

you should now at least have a picture if you haven't keep pressing the Video select button on the DVD remote until you have a picture.

go into the menu sytem of the DVD and select Pscan-HDMi option

turn off DVD and TV disconnect the composite and connect HDMi cable.

Now you should be fine...

:smashin:

7. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Icebru and Joe.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will try them out to tonight when I get home. Hopefully a positive outcome! I am new to all this HD stuff (as I suspect are a lot of people) I will post the results

Kourosh

I bought the player from a shop called Musical Vision who are based at 20 Tottenham Court Road, Central London. (tel No. 0845 6340320) It was probably at the top of the price range at 199.99 but I wanted it now! I think several internet sites like Pixmania have it for about 40 less but I was put off them after I googled Newsgroups on them.

8. stewbold

stewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Quick update. All sorted now after trying the very helpful suggestions posted on the forum. Thanks very much.

Stewart (LOTR looks fabulous with this set-up)