Toshiba HD-XE1 - no RRP

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If like me, you've been wondering WTF are retailers charging around £700 for the Toshiba HD-XE1 HD DVD player when in the Podcast some time ago we heard the Tosh man state it was going to be for £600, according to an email I received today, it seems retailers can put the price at whatever level they want because Toshiba are not able to provide a retail price system.

In response to your query, due to the Home audio visual industry being regulated, we are not able to operate a retail price system.

All prices are set by the individual Dealers at the point of sale. Prices for the new players may be found on sites such as Pricerunner.co.uk before we see them in the High Street.

At this level, any advantage that hd had over rivals bluray in terms pricing seem negligible. :mad:

RRPs are illegal, have been for about 10 years now.

All manufacturers can do is give a "suggested" or "estimated" retail price.

It's not often that anyone will sell ABOVE the manufacturer's estimated price, though.

Perhaps the retailers know something we don't about likely pre-Christmas stock vs likely demand.

For what it's worth , Iv'e been quoted € 929 for this model in Ireland. I think they announced it at Ifa for €899 so its not too much of a fiddle ;)

~M~

I am going to a Toshiba presentation on Thurs, so will try and find out details for everyone on here

Cheers for that !
Maybe they'll be able to give a date when we could expect to get our mits on some players hopefully before christmas ??

And also, when they expect the HDMI 1.3 transferable 'Deep Colour' screens to arrive too :)

Thanks ,
~M~

Worrels Electrical of Malahide (8452987)

~M~

thanks for the info, never heard of them before, might pop in next time I'm in dublin. I couldnt wait though and bought a HD-a1 from movietyme, but glad to see Irish shops arent far behind the UK...

RRPs are illegal, have been for about 10 years now.

All manufacturers can do is give a "suggested" or "estimated" retail price.

It's not often that anyone will sell ABOVE the manufacturer's estimated price, though.

Perhaps the retailers know something we don't about likely pre-Christmas stock vs likely demand.

This site displays the RRP, is that not illegal?

If like me, you've been wondering WTF are retailers charging around £700 for the Toshiba HD-XE1 HD DVD player when in the Podcast some time ago we heard the Tosh man state it was going to be for £600, according to an email I received today, it seems retailers can put the price at whatever level they want because Toshiba are not able to provide a retail price system.

At this level, any advantage that hd had over rivals bluray in terms pricing seem negligible. :mad:

Toshiba HD-XE1 = £505 delivered. Retailers can charge what they want and some will try to make a killing on a new technology particularly with BD being so expensive. That said we can also choose where to buy ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I7LQB2/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/202-0221535-9408626?ie=UTF8

AVI

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Toshiba HD-XE1 = £505 delivered. Retailers can charge what they want and some will try to make a killing on a new technology particularly with BD being so expensive. That said we can also choose where to buy ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I7LQB2/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/202-0221535-9408626?ie=UTF8

AVI

Yes thanks, I've got mine on preorfer with them already but my point is if it's illeagal to have rrp then why do manufacturers and retailers still use them? I've heard for instance that Arcam insists (note: not suggested or expected price)that their products are sold at a certain price and if retailers provide any discounts then Arcam will not deal with them in the future.

AVI

im just going to get one of these, first im gonna get a xbox 360 then the add-on for now, im not bothered about blu-ray and ive got sony stuff too including the 46x.
as long as the hd-dvd either the xbox or xe1 is 1080p then im happy.
any film i cant get on hd cause its blu-ray only, wont matter to me i'll just get the normal version and watch it upscaled, ive not heard what the difference is yet between a dvd upscaled by these devices and an hd disc?
any info on this would be great:D

Yes thanks, I've got mine on preorfer with them already but my point is if it's illeagal to have rrp then why do manufacturers and retailers still use them? I've heard for instance that Arcam insists (note: not suggested or expected price)that their products are sold at a certain price and if retailers provide any discounts then Arcam will not deal with them in the future.

thats definatly against competition rules

if this is the case then i would talk to someone in competition commision

however i suspect retailers are spinning lines so they can charge you a bomb

So the XE1 from Amazon is a bargain then at £505?

It seems to have everything like 5.1 analogue, 1080p but how exactly can future models be better than this, if it has everything?

I must say that i am tempted by this player at £505 when i hear retailers want to charge £700 but if i am going to be stupid enough to spend that much (I never normally spend more than £200 on a movie player) i want to know that this player can last a good 4-5 years

I desperately need to see a HD-DVD demo as i still haven't seen ANYTHING and i want to try before i buy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom