Toshiba HD-XE1/HD-EP35 Interconnect Cables

David2350

Standard Member
Reaction score
Whilst I’m still undecided whether to go for the HD-XE1 or HD-EP35, there is the important issue of what interconnect cables to choose. I think that both Toshiba models are supplied with an HDMI cable but I’ll also need an optical cable and six analogue audio cables for the 5.1 outputs.

As there seems to be no upper limit on what can be spent on these cables, it is quite easy to end up spending more on the cables than the machine which, when you stop to think about it, is a little crazy. For example, the Chord Chameleon has been recommended to me which retails at about £75.00 a pair. As I’ll need three pairs this will cost £225, being only £25 less than the HD-EP35 which retails at play.com for £250.

Most people seem to agree that interconnect cables have an impact on performance. If we compare the free interconnect cables normally provided with DVD or CD players with a pair costing, say, £25 there will normally be a noticeable improvement in sound quality. However, with the Toshiba HD DVD players, where do we draw the line? It's important to take into account the system as a whole when deciding on what cables to use and I'll be connecting the player to a Meridian G68J.

It would be great to hear from those who have purchased a HD-XE1 or HD-EP35 and have also bought cables for the 5.1 analogue outputs and an optical cable. What cables did you purchase, how much did they cost and are you happy with them?

Whilst I’m still undecided whether to go for the HD-XE1 or HD-EP35, there is the important issue of what interconnect cables to choose. I think that both Toshiba models are supplied with an HDMI cable but I’ll also need an optical cable and six analogue audio cables for the 5.1 outputs.

As there seems to be no upper limit on what can be spent on these cables, it is quite easy to end up spending more on the cables than the machine which, when you stop to think about it, is a little crazy. For example, the Chord Chameleon has been recommended to me which retails at about £75.00 a pair. As I’ll need three pairs this will cost £225, being only £25 less than the HD-EP35 which retails at play.com for £250.

Most people seem to agree that interconnect cables have an impact on performance. If we compare the free interconnect cables normally provided with DVD or CD players with a pair costing, say, £25 there will normally be a noticeable improvement in sound quality. However, with the Toshiba HD DVD players, where do we draw the line? It's important to take into account the system as a whole when deciding on what cables to use and I'll be connecting the player to a Meridian G68J.

It would be great to hear from those who have purchased a HD-XE1 or HD-EP35 and have also bought cables for the 5.1 analogue outputs and an optical cable. What cables did you purchase, how much did they cost and are you happy with them?

Ok firstly do not laugh these cables off; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-RCA-PHONO-5...ryZ72406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought them as a to Get going option but am totaly delighted with them, the cable is neat (Flat) & build quality is good. As a test I tried 3 pairs of cables from my Arcam Hi Fi (Cables total over £200) & I can promise you on this player you can hear no difference!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If I were buying analogue interconnects for serious hi-fi listening from seriously priced equipment I would be looking at £50 to £100 for a set.I would not let freebie cables near a set up like that because analogue cables do have an affect on audio quality.But in the case of(relatively) modestly priced HD-Dvd players which in a lot of cases will be pumping out bangs,shrieks grunts and whatever ,I would be looking to spend no more than £50 for the 3 sets of cable i.e. a step up from freebies.
I bought 3 sets of these for approx £27 http://www.futureshop.co.uk/profigold-pga4201-2-rca-to-2-rca-stereo-audio-cable-1m-p-182.html

Even at that I'm probably being generous

Brian, re the analogue cables @ £27..... have you compared the sound from these against the "freebie" cables? If so, was there a real noticable difference?

Brian, re the analogue cables @ £27..... have you compared the sound from these against the "freebie" cables? If so, was there a real noticable difference?

I firmly believe in good interconnects on Hi-Fi but in all honesty you can't tell the difference via the EP35 for movies, I have a reasonable Amplifier at around a £1000 new & good speakers, believe me if there was a difference I would not object to paying extra! the ones in my earlier thread are quite simply great (even at £25 I would have been delighted) try them you will be amazed but if you need some for snob value or that look sexier & you can show them off to your friends you can get nicer looking ones I guess!:devil:

I haven't even used them yet as my EP 35 is in the post:),but instinctively with analogue cables I would be inclined to devote a few bob for ,hopefully, better build and materials over the freebie.I've had bad experiences twice with freebie scart cables.I'm simply trying to give my new player every advantage and not unintentionally introduce problems but without spending a small fortune.
From past experience with Hi-Fi I would expect a slight increase in clarity when listening solely to music from the entry level cables over the freebie but from a film soundtrack very little difference, if any.
I'm sure freebies will do perfectly for this purpose.Instinctively, I'm just being careful.:)

Ok firstly do not laugh these cables off; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-RCA-PHONO-5...ryZ72406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought them as a to Get going option but am totaly delighted with them, the cable is neat (Flat) & build quality is good. As a test I tried 3 pairs of cables from my Arcam Hi Fi (Cables total over £200) & I can promise you on this player you can hear no difference!

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. When I finally get round to purchasing my EP-35, I'll go for the cables available on eBay. If necessary, I'll upgrade them but I doubt that this will be necessary.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for all your thoughts on this. When I finally get round to purchasing my EP-35, I'll go for the cables available on eBay. If necessary, I'll upgrade them but I doubt that this will be necessary.

Trust me you will not need to don't let the miserly price put you off! it will be the best money saving you have ever made.

I'm thinking of getting either the EP35 or EP30, can anyone tell me if the HDMI is up to the job, and how long it is? I don't want to get some shiny new gear and then find that I have to to go and order some more cable before I can watch it!

I'm thinking of getting either the EP35 or EP30, can anyone tell me if the HDMI is up to the job, and how long it is? I don't want to get some shiny new gear and then find that I have to to go and order some more cable before I can watch it!

To be honest I can't remeber if it's 1.5 or 2 Mtr. Long? & as for "Up to the Job" there is aboslutely no difference in a £50 or Free one in terms of Picture Quality.....It's Digital so it either works or it does'nt! & obviously they are not going to provide one that does not work!

To be honest I can't remeber if it's 1.5 or 2 Mtr. Long? & as for "Up to the Job" there is aboslutely no difference in a £50 or Free one in terms of Picture Quality.....It's Digital so it either works or it does'nt! & obviously they are not going to provide one that does not work!

Thanks for that! Was really just wondering if the build quality was alright ie. whether it might break if it was connected/disconnected too much, as I guess that's what you're paying for with a more expensive cable...well, and the name/colour etc of course!

Thanks for that! Was really just wondering if the build quality was alright ie. whether it might break if it was connected/disconnected too much, as I guess that's what you're paying for with a more expensive cable...well, and the name/colour etc of course!

Build Qulity is fine for the purpose but it's not recommended to plug & unplug on a regular basis as the socket will wear out. Yes, as you say the more costly ones might be sexier & have gold plating but to be honest it makes not the slightest difference in terms of Picture Quality & since this lead has a moulded on plug it should be fine.

Regards, Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom