TOSHIBA HD-EP10 4:3 playback question?

CrazyHorse

I've searched quite a few threads but couldn't find the answer to this one - does the EP10 play standard 4:3 DVD's in the correct 4:3 ratio without squeezing them in any way? Or putting it simply, does it have a 4:3 mode? I assume it does have this capability but wanted to confirm before I paid out my £££'s. It's just that I have many movies that pre-date the 1950's and were shot in 4:3 (Universal Horrors/original Kong/lots of Film Noir, etc.) which I enjoy watching on my current projector (Epson EMP-TW10) and I'd like to continue viewing them with the added benefit of the EP10's upscalling feature, as well as taking my first dip into HD land obviously.

Please forgive me if it's a silly question but this will be my first HD player and I'm still trying to make sense of all the variables before I make my purchase.

MAW

Banned
Yes, you'll have black side bars with 4:3 films/TV shows. No stretch possible if you are connected with HDMI and your TV performs to HDMI spec. I have no idea with the epson, it probably is to spec, meaning the 16:9 signal from the DVD cannot be altered. The 4:3 is 'framed' inside a 16:9 picture by the player, the output will still be 1920/1080, just part of the picture is blank.

Ned Senior

Hi I watched an old 1980's movie last week which was 4:3 on my E1 in the menus on the E1s setup button I was able to choose aspect ratio of film to fill my screen I assume it zoomed (pureley because I get image retention on my sammy and would of had a 4:3 square left in the middle of my screen for ages afterwards (damn plasma's loveley picture Q and all that but much care must be taken with them)

CrazyHorse

Yes, you'll have black side bars with 4:3 films/TV shows. No stretch possible if you are connected with HDMI and your TV performs to HDMI spec. I have no idea with the epson, it probably is to spec, meaning the 16:9 signal from the DVD cannot be altered. The 4:3 is 'framed' inside a 16:9 picture by the player, the output will still be 1920/1080, just part of the picture is blank.
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected it would handle 4:3 material the same as most DVD players do, but had to make sure.

As for the Epson, it has a 4:3 mode too and has been a cracking standard def entry level projector but, as it's just about 3 years old now and had lots of use - though it's still on the original bulb and going strong! - I'm planning on upgrading to a Panasonic PT-AX100 in the next couple of weeks. I believe that when the Tosh gets its firmware upgrade next month, the combination of this and the Panny will produce a smooth, judder free pic as both will be capable of handling true 24 frame progressive. At least that's what I've read elsewhere on these forums...I hope I've understood it correctly!

Just to end...how typical. Was about to put an order in for the EP10 at Play and they're 'temporarily out of stock'! They had some earlier today too. :(
Placed the order anyway and hope they get them back in before the 31st so I can claim my two free HD DVD's.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom