Toshiba HD-E1 tested, result 9 out of 10 stars.:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2006/Toshiba_HD-E1_01.shtml

Other tests.

Microsoft XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on 10 out of 10 stars.:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2006/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_01.shtml

Samsung BD player 6 out of 10 stars.:

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2006/Samsung_BD-P1000_Blu-ray_Disc_01.shtml

Happy HD year. :hiya:

My German isn't good but looking at the screen shot of the menu is looks like we now have the option to output a 480i/576i signal. If this is correct it's potentially good news (assuming it's a decent transport) if you want to connect this unit to an external VP for normal DVD playback. IIRC the A1/XA1 would only output at 480p.

AVI

T800

MitchR

Damn that case is empty :eek:

It looks kinda cheap actually, but hell, it works great :smashin:

JNMaster

Once again for those of you who can't understand German, Click Here for the Babel Fish German to English translation.

I'm surprised that Tosh didn't put a fan on that Intel dual core, might have helped performance a little more, even a low rpm one to keep the noise down or maybe a heat pipe solution like they had on the A1. I myself would have plastered every chipset/mosfet on the board with heatsinks as you can never have too much cooling where pc’s are concerned:), still, I guess they we're trying to keep costs down maybe?

JaniH

Standard Member
My German isn't good but looking at the screen shot of the menu is looks like we now have the option to output a 480i/576i signal. If this is correct it's potentially good news (assuming it's a decent transport) if you want to connect this unit to an external VP for normal DVD playback. IIRC the A1/XA1 would only output at 480p.
The A2 is able to output 480i so it would be a safe bet to assume the E1 can output also 576i. However it's a bitch to use because there isn't an auto selection and you have go to menus and switch between 480i and 1080i every time you switch between SD and HD discs. Maybe a firmware update will offer better usability.

Avi

Distinguished Member
The A2 is able to output 480i so it would be a safe bet to assume the E1 can output also 576i. However it's a bitch to use because there isn't an auto selection and you have go to menus and switch between 480i and 1080i every time you switch between SD and HD discs. Maybe a firmware update will offer better usability.

From the screen shot it appears the E1 can offer 480 or 576 "i". Is there a not resolution button on the remote as with the A1/XA1 ?

AVI

JaniH

Standard Member
From the screen shot it appears the E1 can offer 480 or 576 "i".
It can play both NTSC and PAL discs, but it's still locked to Region 2.

Is there a not resolution button on the remote as with the A1/XA1 ?
Unfortunately not. And the button in the A1 remote doesn't work with A2/E1 neither.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom