Toshiba Hd-E1 issues (post here)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bboy-mass, Dec 27, 2006.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok, looks like a couple of people on and off this Forum have issues with there E1s.

Can we keep a check list here please, and I'll pass t all onto Toshiba in the New Year.

My Problems so far:

1. Machine locks-up if you leave a disk in after play.

2. Machine takes 5 - 10 secs for DVD tray to open.

3. DVD Tray sounds like its catching when being opened.

4. Machine locks up and needs 10 sec reset on power button every know and again. This method of reseting is also noted in the manual, but Toshiba do NOT advise you use this method as it could cause damage to machine.lol

As for item 4, Toshiba seem to know they have a problem with there machine and I guess they already know there box is not fit for purpose.:rolleyes:

Please advise of any other machine or disk issues.:lease:

R.
    Nigel

2. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bought my Hd-E1 today from Comet the pq is jaw dropping but:
    Froze when playing King Kong Hd Dvd and would not reset until I removed the power cord and waited 10 seconds befor putting back in (not even the standby/off on the remote or the Dvd Player itself would work).
    Have tried 4 sd dvd's on it two would play (King Kong & Sharks Tale) two came up with an error message even though they are region 2 dvd's....
    Paul

3. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey,

Got my E1 today from local John Lewis.

It locked up when I tried to put it into standby after watching a HD DVD for 15 min.

I held the machine button in for 10 secs as mentioned in the manual that switched it off.

Can you download & burnthe Firmware update onto a DVD then load onto the machine?

Cheers :)

4. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    This may not be an issue and I've only got two HD DVDs to test on the machine (Jarhead and Goblet of Fire) but why are all the special features material when played back on the HD-E1 locked on a 4:3 screen size ? I also have Jarhead on an SD DVD and the same material on that plays back at 16: 9. Grateful to hear other views.

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,526
    Got mine from Comet on Xmas Eve. I have no HD DVDs yet so am only playing SD DVDs.

First problem today, after watching one episode of Band of Brothers, left the disk on the main menu whilst I went to get some Xmas cake, came back and the player had frozen. Wouldn't respond to anything, so just turned the power off and on and it was fine.

No other problems yet.

But to be honest I am an inch away from returning this to Comet and waiting a while for the problems to be sorted out. The lack of multi region, which isn't Toshibas fault is also another annoying issue as I have a ton of R1 DVDs.

I don't care for equipment that doesn't work properly. If I wanted that I would use a PC. My Denon 2900 played everything (albeit SD) that I threw at it and never ever gave me a single problem. I was kinda hoping this Toshiba would be as good, but it seems not.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's because some of the special features on are in 4:3 standard definition, the same as on the DVD version, so the HD-DVD player is up-converting them to 1080i/720p which is 16:9, so your TV sees it as a 16:9 picture. It's doing the right thing.

7. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sounds like the Xbox360 drive is the fastest and most reliable HD Drive available today. Apart from having access to True HD Im regreting getting rid of it for this pile of ****.

If Comet give me any hassle tomorrow, ill make Toshiba discount the player.

BTW, is it me or doe's True HD sound worse than DD+ ???

R.
    Nigel

8. coolmp3

coolmp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think the most common problems will be sorted in the next firmware update. You have to remember that you have purchased the first HD-DVD player released for europe, there are bond to be teething issues. Look at SKY+ still have issues with software e.g failed recordings etc and how longs that been around. Even the 360 has had a issue with a couple of discs playing. On the plus side is the player is ready for firmware upgrades with the internet connection ready port so when an update is ready it won't be hard for people to do. Its part of buying into a new evolving technology.:thumbsup:

9. carl15

carl15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I have had my unit lock up once. I had to disconnect power then reconnect.
    All was then ok.
    This hasn't happened since and I now have tested 5 HD DVD's and two SD DVD,s.
    The slow boot up doesn't really bother me but I would agree with the noisy tray that sounds a bit cheap & clunky when you eject.

Carl

10. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Did the first USA DVD player have the same issues? and have they been addressed?

BTW, just found a nice artical on HDMI versions.

Now I understand that the Tosh E1 is Decoding TrueHD,DD+ into uncompressed audio, I can stop worring about my Yamaha RX-V1600 not outputting TrueHD and Dolby Digital + :clap:

As far as I can see it, you only need to upgrade to HDMI 1,2a + if you have a display that can handle 1080p:D

So, my Yammy can stay as I would rather buy EVERY HD-DVD available than upgrade to a V1700 or V2700 :smashin:

The artical was on WIKIPEDA.org

Fantastic site.

R.
    Nigel

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What do you mean by this?

1080i is available at least since HDMI 1.1. But the HD-E1 won't output 1080p. That is an additional feature on the HD-XE1. But nothing to do with HDMI.

12. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    No issues with mine so far, have played SD-DVD's, HD-DVD's, and quiet a few audio cd's as this is now my play everything machine.

Have yet to experience any lockups, I have mine connected via ethernet to the internet maybe thats why I have no trouble.

In the US, the HD-A1 had issues to start with and these have mostly been solved through a firmware update. I hope the first firmware update will solve most problems for this unit. The thing is of course no matter how much testing Toshiba did prior to release, nothing compares to real life customer use.

Lack of 1080P is no issue to me, my TV doesnt support it anyway.

13. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    IANH64,

What Im saying is this; people have been saying that you need HDMI 1.2a and above to experience DD+,DTS-HD and TrueHD. Im saying you dont:D

If my Plasma was 1080p, then I would benefit by upgrading my amp to an amp like the V1700 or V2700 that has HDMI 1.2a,1.3 1080p pass through.

TrueHD etc will pass down HDMI 1.1 if the DVD player converts the audio into Loseless packets, but no 1080p video.

R.
    Nigel
    Birmingham

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Nigel you do seem confused! 1080p was possible in HDMI 1.0 if people wanted to offer it!! PCM passes down HDMI 1.1 and that is what you listen to.

15. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nic,

According to the HDMI site, 1080p is only available with 1.2a and above:nono:

This is why the new amps are so popular as they have all ben upgraded to HDMI 1.2a

I think the whole thing is a mess to be honest. I understand the audio side after spending the last 3 days researching the USA sites, but for someone going into Dixons and asking for a 1080p Screen and AMP, you could sell them a box of cakes and people would listen.

R.
    Mass

16. runner05

runner05
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i dont have a hd-e1 but i have the HD-A2 thats is very very simlar, my firned also have the e1 and both of us are extreamely happy only "problems" that we have found is the amount of dust the gloss black finish atracts:rolleyes:

17. carl15

carl15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's funny you should say that, I was staring at mine this morning and thinking just the same thing, how dusty it looked..lol:D

18. myersfan73

myersfan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Only issue i've had so far is the player freezing when left on the blue screen, have to dissconnect the power lead then reconnect to get it going again! Will phone Tosihba in the New Year to sort it out. Tray action is very quiet & Vileda anti-static wipes are keeping the player nice & clean! Spontex one's are also very good.

:)

19. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    mine was fine untill tonight played a disc stopped it and put the player into standby came back to view some more and it locked up
    diconnected it form the mains and it worked fine
    however playing a disc for a while tonight and it just sjumped a bit and stoped pressed play and it went back to the start went back to were i was and it was fine
    not too worried will just wait for an update
    just its a shame they cannot get it right first time

20. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,526
    Mine played up a bit during watching my first HD DVD. Paused it half way through to get a drink, played about with the U thingy and it bought up some error code. Pressed a few buttons and it just seemed to restart the disc.

Played the rest of the film fine without any issues.

21. carl15

carl15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly seems the lock-up issue is the main problem that needs addressing.
    I had mine lock twice in a row the other night, quite annoying when the only way to reset is to remove the plug from the mains.
    Still, guess it is early days & hopefully an update will see this rectified.
    Just got to work out how to set up the ethernet connection now. Didnt have much joy the other night..

Carl

22. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Seems to have the same fault as the 850e upscaler, could it be that it cannot proccess the info fast enough sometimes as my 850e froze mainly when a lot of action happend if running on the upscaling, as i have a scaler do not use now and found it only happens not so often as it used to, just a thought.

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a new HD-E1 yesterday and it plays all the films i have but after a couple of minutes it freezes up and the machine does not respond at all and the only way of bringing it back to life is to power it down and then back up again :( has anyone else resolved this problem and is there a new firmware download to fix it ?

24. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Can everyone log their calls to Toshiba? Then incase they don't know, they will be made aware of the problems, so they can release a firmware upgrade or something :)

25. snakehead

snakehead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've had one lock up so far with HD-DVD, however I have tried 3 SD DVD's and it refuses to play any of them, any ideas?

26. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Why dont we all meet up on Tuesday morning outside TOSHIBA HOUSE in Bracknel with our machines in hand:D

Ill make some banners:smashin:

Happy new year.

R.
    Nigel

27. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sent an email to Toshiba letting them know of my problems but suppose i will not get a response today.

28. snakehead

snakehead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a quick update to this. Have tried about 8 SD DVDs this morning, the first 3 would not play (Little Mermaid, Cars & Alien 3) with the message 'Check Disk' the following 4 played without problem (Lord Rings, Platoon, Terminator3 & True Romance). I then tried 'Cars' again and it worked Ok! Weird. Checked the firmware on the net and I have the latest version (1100/T17M).

29. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi snakehead,

How do you know you have the latest version? Does the machine tell you when you try and do a firmware update. I have mine connected to a wireless router, and although the DHCP IP address and DNS server and enabled and their values are ok, when I try and do an update, I get 'Can not find out server'. Am I doing something wrong, do you receive other messages?

Do I have to re-configure something on my pc in order for the HD-E1 to 'see' the outside world properly.

I have entered nothing in the proxy server and the username & password fields; I don't believe I am supposed to?

Any help would be appreciated,
    many thanks,
    Ian

I should add that I have read the manual (& followed it to the letter)!

30. cicada78

cicada78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've tried 2 sd discs and neither work - hd-dvd discs are fine.

How many of you guys have sd disc issues. I may have to get it exchanged at comet next week!