Toshiba hd e1. anyone else getting 4-3 aspect on some sd dvds

kit3ov

Standard Member
i AM GETTING 4.3 ASPECT ON SOME MUSIC SD-DVDS . I DONT LIKE ZOOM. IS THERE A FIX FOR THE HD E1? MY SETUP IS OK AS FAR AS I AM AWARE AND THE ARE WIDESCREEN IN MY SONY S76.:lease:I AM USING HDMI TO PANASONIC 37PX

AgentCool

Discs mastered in the 4:3 aspect ratio will be displayed in that ratio on the E1. There is no way around it unless you change the output to 480p/576p and then alter the ratio on your TV (Panasonic TVs generally don't allow ratio changes at HD resolutions; mine doesn't anyway). However, most of the time the E1 shows a disc in the way it is supposed to be presented so it's best just to leave it if you want an undistorted, unstretched picture. If you don't then changing the resolution to 480p/576p is the way to go.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I assume you are connect by HDMI, you may want to try component and see if that helps.

TrevorS

i AM GETTING 4.3 ASPECT ON SOME MUSIC SD-DVDS . I DONT LIKE ZOOM. IS THERE A FIX FOR THE HD E1? MY SETUP IS OK AS FAR AS I AM AWARE AND THE ARE WIDESCREEN IN MY SONY S76.:lease:I AM USING HDMI TO PANASONIC 37PX

You'll see the same thing with letterbox (ie. non-anamorphic) widescreen movies. The player is only giving you the correct aspect ratio for what you asked it to play -- not it's fault.

Your TV may support zooming (if not for 720p/1080i/1080p, then 480i/480p), or perhaps there are "stretch" or "fill screen" modes available. Again, it's not the player's fault. Look on the bright side, at least the people look like real people and not horizontally stretched.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom