Toshiba Hd-E1 and HD-DVD Menus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sniffer66, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Got my E1 last week and could only get hold of Harry Potter 4 as my first test HD-DVD. It ran what I assume is a the "standard" trailer at the start of the movie advertising all the additional menu features you get with HD-DVD, then the film started immediately.

Hitting any of the menu keys failed to get me to any menu or setup options at all. As this is my only hd-dvd disk Im not sure if this is normal or Im doing something wrong. Does Hp4 have no menus/options ? It has an FBI warning at the start so was wondering if its a "rush to market" no frills USA copy. In SD DVD;'s the menu buttons work OK

Also wasn't that impressed with the quality on PJ and plasma over some SKY-HD broadcasts, however that may be down to the film being so dark and gloomy. Im waiting for Superman to be blown away

Thanks

2. nerdyjim

nerdyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    there is no 'menu' as such anymore on any WB hd-dvd's. You get to the extra features etc from pressing up on the remote and going from there...... also as far as i know the inital batch of hd-dvd releases are exactly the same for america and the uk so you will get the FBI warning not the normal UK warning but the quality of the disc is in no way rushed!!! should still look good...

3. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    ah, thanks. Didnt realise it was as easy as pressing "Up". Will give it a go tonight.

I expected the quality to be just as good as the US TBH. I was just curious whether some of the additonal content was missing.

4. nerdyjim

nerdyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no worries mate.... as far as i know we are getting everyhting that the US is getting at the moment...... try MI:3 for the best HD experience yet on HD-DVD!!! the film looks great, HD extras.... thats if you can put up with tom cruise :rolleyes:

5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    Its on order from Lovefilm already, had to buy HP4 to see how it looked on arrival :) No way was I just going to run SD on it that night :)

6. nerdyjim

nerdyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    how you finding HD? as good as you hoped?

7. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    SKY HD I've been blown away at times on both PJ and plasma - usually footy, Lost and BBC-HD. TBH I wasnt any more impressed by Harry Potter (which is all I have on disk currently) than most films on SKY HD. I was expecting to be blown away more by disk ,as I am with SD DVD compared to Sky SD Movies)

Maybe the difference between good sky hd and hd-dvd isnt that great. Or HP4 isnt so great an example - I'll let you know once I get Superman or MI3 :)

8. nerdyjim

nerdyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sky HD is very good at times, but does seem to 'block' the darker areas of films i find..... i wouldnt expect to be blown away too much by other HD discs, HP4 is a good quality example of HD-DVD..... it took me a while to realise that the difference between HD-DVD and SD isnt going to be as clear cut as SD and video years back..... maybe when i take the plunge and get a 1080p projector then things may start getting to the point i was expecting... still impresed though.... not going back to SD haha i keep buying HD-DVD films that im not even keen on just to watch what they look like lol its DVD all over again!!! haha :clap:

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I don't know which one you refer to here, but if you are refering to "returns" then you will be VERY disappointed.

This is the worst PQ I've seen on HD-DVD. No fault of the HD-DVD format. The PQ of the disc on both SD and HD has been discussed several times.

Try something like King Kong if you want awesome PQ.